Author Topic: Fixing A Wheel  (Read 14070 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing A Wheel
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »

Please give your guys at the shop a call and lets all see what they do. I hope there is an easy and cheap  way to thread a spoke.

Ji

Ask Suspension Guru Pete Hoey on the forum's here, i know his dad builds wheels and also makes his own spokes so he'd be worth a quizzing, im have a feeling he cuts his own  :-\
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:53:07 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Ji Gantor

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »
Hi Freakshow,
What is the name and number of the bike shop that makes their own spokes. I will give them a call and post the result here.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 01:05:31 pm »
Hi Walter,
Thanks for that mate.
The question is are the threads on a spoke pressed in or cut?

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 01:09:53 pm »
Hi Walter,
I spoke to Les yesterday and he told me that he has a wheel building table but does not have a spoke thread chaser yet. He told me that the threader costs about $5000.00 and the thread is pressed into the spoke not cut. This has been confirmed by John last year. Ash wheel builders also told me the same thing.

But I am keen to see if Freakshow can show a way we can do it at home.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 01:17:45 pm »
Hi Wasp,
Thanks mate.
I am trying to buy a hand operated press at the moment but they are not the best on S/S spokes.
HS steel rollers are required and I believe you have to go over the threads a few times.

Ji

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »
i roll threads with a hand operated thread machine but if its SS spokes i get John Titmans to do them.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Ji Gantor

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:39:15 pm »
Hi LWC3077,
Thanks mate,
Does your hand roller look like the image I posted.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 01:40:50 pm »
Hi Wasp,
Do you have an image of the hand roller and HS steel rollers you sell.
How much are they.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 02:04:51 pm »
Place some hose or tube over a rounded old screw driver and slowly pry the grease cap out (if required).
The tube should prevent any tell tail dents in the Magnesium if done gently.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 02:15:26 pm »
Next using a piece of ply or wood as a buffer pry out the seal.
The seal takes more prying so the tube on the screw driver will most likely leave a tell tail mark in the Magnesium hub.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:26 pm »
Hi Wasp,
I only do a few wheels a year.
Thanks for the offer.

Great poem, it says it all.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 04:52:40 pm »
Hi Wasp,
Yes, the wheel jig I purchased off E74 is perfect for what I do.
The ones I have seen at pro wheel builders premises are made by themselves kind of like some of the home made ones that were discussed when I was looking for mine. They don't seem to buy smick ones like the ones you import and I have now, except Don Newell he has the best I have ever seen.
Do you carry spare parts for my unit, if I need some.

The wheel building table I referred to before is for setting the off sets and making sure the rim is centred on the hub. In the centre is a lathe chuck that holds the drum true to the rim. There are level adjusters that set the off set on one side of the rim. When all these 3D measurements are right the spokes are laced and the nipples are turned until finger tight. From there the wheel is taken to a wheel jig or wheel truing stand where the fine tuning is done.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:01:31 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:16 pm »
Hi Wasp,
The axle hand wheel on the right hand side has a crack in it. It does not effect its performance but I am compulsive and do not like looking at it.

0.2 tolerance without using a wheel jig that is great.

With all due respect to Les and I hope this will not up set him.
The problem with Les having such a machine is where is he going to get the time to use it. He is flat out servicing the phone orders now. And he is going to make spokes as well.............
I hope he hires a young Don Newell because that is what he needs to do all the fun work around the shop.

Ji

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:38:11 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 05:30:31 pm »
OK spoke to the man and its a presser not actually a cutter, its a little black box like a drill sharpener and the blanks go in and come out with a thread, it seams the thread is higher then the spoke from what i can see from what comes out so its blank in and thread embedding into the steel.    so i retract teh use of the word cut and insert the word empress.

Prity cool device either way you just cut the spoke off to the lenght you need and then hey presto its perfect new spoke.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Ji Gantor

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »
Hi Freakshow,
That is great.
Shame it is not cheap nor easy.
The machine you have discribed costs around $2750.00USD new in the States.

Ji