Author Topic: Fixing A Wheel  (Read 14177 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: Fixing A Wheel
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2009, 02:04:53 pm »
Using a 15mm collet, attach the slide hammer and pop the last bearing out.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 02:06:34 pm »
Bearings out.

Now we need to clean the hub and make ready for painting.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 02:35:23 pm »
I know I show to much detail and tell to much of the story but some members may not know all that there is to know so here I go again.

The reason I tapped the spacer and bearing out the drum side or the side that has a circlip bearing retainer is because behind that bearing is typically but not always a restricted flange.

I hope you can see the circlip grove and the restricted flange behind in the image.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:20:46 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 10:06:47 pm »
those of us that watched  ABC tonight 'collectors' had on there segment asking the panel to 'guess what this is', would have seen a close-up shot of a motorcycle spoke threading machine. it was a small portable hand cranked machine, the type that rolls the thread onto the spoke ,it does not cut the thread with a die.i knew thats how its done but thats the first time ive seen one cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Thanks Wally,
Good to hear from you again.
That is a great show.
Do you remember that ABC show a few years back now called LOVE. It was about a dodgy antique dealer called Love and he showed us the world of antique dealing. Pretty cool as I remember.

There is a lot to the wheels that support our bikes and it is easy to take care of them if you know how.
With our old bikes you have to know quite a bit when restoring them or you will purchase the wrong gear.

Keep well
Ji

mainline

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »
I watched that too Wally, one of the only times I've been able to guess what the item was

And wasn't my wife impressed with my knowledge on the subject when I told her the thread would be pressed in, not cut (no she wasn't impressed at all ;D)

Good thread Ji (excuse the pun)

Ji Gantor

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 02:28:05 pm »
Hi Mainline,
Cool.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 10:39:41 pm »
Okay, work done today.
The hub has now been cleaned and a solvent has been used to clean any remaining oil and dirt. The hub is left out in the sun so the solvent can dry.
A wire hanger has been installed so after painting it can be hung to dry.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:42:23 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »
I will be using Dulux paints as they have the gold colour I like. I always use the same brand for all painting products as mixing brands can end in disaster.
First I sprayed a dust coat of Dulux etch primer. I then waited a minute or two and finished the primer coat.
I knew I was going to be painting today so the first job to get done before my first cup of tea was to purge the compressor of all water including lines and filter traps.

Ji 

Ji Gantor

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
After waiting two hours for the primer to dry I applied the first top coat.
This is the first time I have ever used a gold paint, I have used a chrome paint before and was very disappointed. The chrome paint went on okay and I let it dry for 2 weeks before I placed my first finger on it. Where ever I touched it the chrome dulled.
Dulux gold looks pretty similar to real gold and I think it has a copper base. Again I applied a dust coat and then finished the cover.
The paint looked slightly grainy but dried flat.
Now, will it stick to the job or will it rub off, question answered. I had a drop on my fingers when I took these images and only noticed it a little later. The camera body is chromed and the paint should have wiped off. No Way, I had to use turps and rub and rub.

That is a good thing for a metal based paint.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »
All that glitters is not gold, but may be copper or paint.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:59 pm »
Brake backing plate.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16:29 pm »
Some times it is easier to paint the hub while it is still spoked. This gives something to hold on to.
The spokes have to be replaced on this wheel anyway, but if they did not I have used a bearing grease in the past to coat the spokes. When the paint has dried I simply come back and remove the grease from the spokes and the over spray on them.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:27:39 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19:51 pm »
This gold is something else.
I hope it will stay put as I want to use it a bit more on other parts like the kick starter.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:49 pm »
Just in case some members say I picked the front wheel because it is easier here is the back wheel.
No explanation just images, The processes are the same.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:29:51 pm by Ji Gantor »