Poll

Regarding allowing pre-90 racing:

I am a HEAVEN member and think it is a good idea.
18 (17.3%)
I am a HEAVEN member and I don't have a strong opinion.
3 (2.9%)
I am a HEAVEN member and I don't like it.
27 (26%)
I'm not a HEAVEN member, but I think it's a good idea.
37 (35.6%)
I'm not a HEAVEN member, but I think it is a bad idea
19 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Pre-90 for HEAVEN?  (Read 55580 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-90 for HEAVEN?
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:49 pm »
*sound of penny dropping*

Firko, you're right that we could do a lot more to build/maintain the earlier eras.
The problem is that you can't expect the enthusiasm for pre-90 to be seamlessly transferred into other areas of the sport - its not a big bucket of enthusiasm waiting to be poured onto whatever needs the most hydration.
Essentially, your argument that the pre-90 advocates should instead work at rebuilding pre-75, is never going to work because you're asking people to abandon something they're passionate about and somehow find enthusiasm for something else.

I could say "Look pre-75 is dead in the water - it went OK and then it fell over. So how about all your pre-75 guys forget about pre-75, and put your efforts toward building pre-90 instead?"*... All of the arguments for/against the health and value of pre-75 are irrelevant if you are passionate about pre-75 - and if you want to see it grow, then that's where you'll direct your energy.

*I don't believe this! Just using it as an example.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:09 am »
It is not as straight forward as a simple majority of members present at a Special General meetings voting for a change to the constitution.

A special resolution requires 21 days notice of the meeting including the resolution wording exactly as it will be put, to all members eligible to vote. The Special Resolution then needs at least 75% of all eligible voting members to support it for it to be carried. Not just voting members at the meetings.

This is all well and good however you are not considering the relevant clause of the constitution in its entirety.

Btw when the amendments to the constitution were made in 2007 were the rules followed? Just saying  ;)

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2010, 10:41:01 am »
12 pages worth.

just face it guys, if you want to ride Pre 90 your gonna have to drive nth or sth interstate. the Heaven Hillbillies (Amish) ain't ready for you yet.   ;)

Shit, Victoria had pre 90 way back in 2001-2  ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:52:58 am by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Bioflex

« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »
One of the problems here is that critics are concerned about adding another class, has the option of extending pre 85 been considered?

Think about it, evo looks after all the last drum braked, twin shocked air coolers, with the next class pre 85 only a few more models sneak in.
If the last bike being allowable in pre 85 is an 84 model, then what's available from Maico, husqvarna, can am etc would go straight in the evo class (as all were still drum braked, air cooled)

if pre 85 was simply extended to say encompass all bikes with conventional forks (cutting out usd's), single disk brakes (while having an absolute limit of pre 90) the catergory would me
an most current bikes in pre 85 would still be competitive while widening the options for people.

Perhaps the most important factor of this is that it still draws a clear line between current and classic in terms of suspension and brakes. A real concern about people retro fitting new brakes all round and 2010 suspension onto 1990 models would be easily controlled this way.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:57:57 pm by Bioflex »

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »
That's why im keeping this in the shed,it will be VMX eligible in no time,remove the headlight/taillight,barkbusters and stand and away we go :D :D :D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:04 pm »
One of the problems here is that critics are concerned about adding another class, has the option of extending pre 85 been considered?

Think about it, evo looks after all the last drum braked, twin shocked air coolers, with the next class pre 85 only a few more models sneak in.
If the last bike being allowable in pre 85 is an 84 model, then what's available from Maico, husqvarna, can am etc would go straight in the evo class (as all were still drum braked, air cooled)

if pre 85 was simply extended to say encompass all bikes with conventional forks (cutting out usd's), single disk brakes (while having an absolute limit of pre 90) the catergory would me
an most current bikes in pre 85 would still be competitive while widening the options for people.

Perhaps the most important factor of this is that it still draws a clear line between current and classic in terms of suspension and brakes. A real concern about people retro fitting new brakes all round and 2010 suspension onto 1990 models would be easily controlled this way.

What?! Thinking outside the box! He's a witch - burn him!
 :D

If you look at the number of bikes are are elegible for pre-85, its a pretty short list (compared to the other categories).
In 1980, there were three bikes not Evo-eligible.
In 1981, there were eleven bikes not Evo-eligible.
It took until 1982 before all of the jap MXers didn't fit the Evo criteria - and even then, there were several Enduro and Euro bikes that were still Evo legal in 1984.

With such a small pool of bikes, there's no way that every capacity class in pre-85 will ever fill the grid.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2010, 06:48:14 am »
Leave pre85 Alone. >:( Don't even think about it, that is why I joined the club and they are the bikes I bought.

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »
Leave pre85 Alone. >:( Don't even think about it, that is why I joined the club and they are the bikes I bought.

And leave Pre 70, Pre 75, Pre 78 alone as well, thats the bikes I bought :-\
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

montynut

« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »
Isn't the Pre85 class exactly that to capture the transistion from 'EVO' type bikes to first generation disk brake, linkage rear suspension, water cooling and possibly USD forks. Now you guys want to lump them in with second generation bikes. Think about what you are suggesting an '80 KX against an '89 CR or KX etc.

Why not just make one class/era call it MX and the rules ">1 wheel <3wheels and not nuclear powered" :P

We have a meeting this Sunday,,,,,, leave it alone ::) ::)

Bioflex

« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2010, 05:59:47 pm »
Evo is probably the odd ball class then, as much as I like Maico's, (I've got three of them) was this class purpose made for the Mega 1 owners?

The problem with classes that aren't simply based on years, the bikes which utilised technology early are the one's penalised. Kwaka and KTM being the first to use a disk, all the Jap nikes by 81 well and truly had single shocks.
The Evo class not allowing disk brakes cuts out so many potential bikes which then have to battle against bikes 4-5 years newer in the pre 85.

The pre 85 class is an interesting one, if someone armed themselves with a KTM 495 they could utilise all the technology (water cooled, disk brake and monoshock) where the closest competitors only manage two of these modern benefits, with some only gettin one.

I can appreciate that people buy bikes around class structures, so it's no good changing once established.

Someone will always lose out though, I'm not looking forward to racing my 78 Maico up against all the 81's.....
If there was a pre 80 class then I'd be happy, and it would be consistent with all the other rules.

Bioflex

« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2010, 06:07:25 pm »
I reckon Evo should be scrapped, the new class called"Bits and Pieces". Take pre 78 up to pre 80 then "Bits and Pieces" is the only one needed until Pre 90.  ;D

Three modern advancements, front disks, water cooloing and single shock. Each bike entered is allowed only two of these.
Would make for an interesting class, the later model YZ 490's which eveyone says are horrible to ride may get a look in then.

montynut

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2010, 06:21:12 pm »
Another X-spurt  ::) ::) :-X

All Things 414

« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the tech advantage those other guys have on the (true ::)) Pre 85 bikes mate. You'll flog 'em just as easy on your '78 Maico as on anything else. These (pure ::)) Pre 85 bikes are actually harder to ride than the old Evo dungers and generally get a good pasting in our Pre 85 races.

Sorry. Just rememered........
That's why you's dont like them in with the real Pre 85ers........ ::)

ted

« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:16 pm »
What meeting

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:48 pm »
Yeah what meeting  ??? ??? ???