Author Topic: YZ 490 - Looking for info on Dirt Bike mags setup tricks  (Read 9282 times)

Offline subarumy98

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
YZ 490 - Looking for info on Dirt Bike mags setup tricks
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »
HI All

I am lookig to help a buddy of mine here with his YZ490.

Apparently there was a Dirt Bike article with Broc Glover in the day that described how to sort out this beast.
Seems the article covered head, porting, ignition and jetting changes to smooth out the beast.

All I have found so far, is a diagram on a head mod where the edge of the squish band is radiused to eliminate pinging.
I have not been able to find the actual article itself.

Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction ?

many thanks

Trevor

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 490 - Looking for info on Dirt Bike mags setup tricks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »
A radius at the squish curtain will do very little for pinging.First is reduce the compression to 10:1, next is squish clearence to 1mm. Harder is to rid it of the 'top end' porting but it can be done. There are some additional ports you can put in to improve the abyslmal auxilary transfers. Fatten up the jetting and retard the ignition. Then it will go marginaly better than a 250.Best advice is to find a 465 head, cylinder and piston
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline subarumy98

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »
Cool - thanks for the quick reply.
I am mailing Rick Siemen Super Hunky as well - let's see if he can trawl up anything too.
I will repost here on findings.

T

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:52:38 am »
If his past record on this model is anything to go by, Rick will recommend it as a boat anchor

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:59:40 am »
as i remember the hot setup back in the day was to sell it and buy a CR500 or KX500
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:12:59 am »
There are some additional ports you can put in to improve the abyslmal auxilary transfers. Fatten up the jetting and retard the ignition. Then it will go marginaly better than a 250.Best advice is to find a 465 head, cylinder and piston

yaeh I wouldn't get too excited about the auxiliary transfers, conversion to 465 is much better solution.
formerly Marc.com

lms6201

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:25:09 am »
what year is it first ? the head mod for the j /k is machining a blend from the squish to the combustion chamber , 8mm  wide , i,ve never done it on any of mine ,besides they only ping when u back the throttle off ,done in a lathe using a mandril that fits the plug hole ,   use the highest octane u can get ,98 is good  33 to one oil  tts is good ,for j or k ,ign timing is std at 2mm btdc,    i use #50 pilot jet , (richer than std#45)  std nozzle and needle q8 , 6f16  clip in #3 , get a new set if it,s got any wear on it , std main is 440 , but with the leaner oil mix u might have to go smaller , boisen reeds work well  but roll them over regular and/or replace them  to keep the lip down on the block , fiber reeds will probably knock the main down a size or two , dg pipe or similar is a must      reeds and pipe and any porting may affect jetting , the 490k i bought off 090 had a main 5 sizes down from std ,it,s no good doing anything to a worn engine , check cylinder for clearance and blow by scorching ,check big end and mains , it,ll ping less if it,s worn ,   gearing , start from std 15/50 for a std bike , 15/49 for an open track , 15/48 ,  for a fast bike and fast track , drop the front end as far as u can for a tight course ,  adjustment to the   twin link shoes is vital for them to work ,  use the sintered shoes with groves , use the linkage between the brake cams to adjust  the slop out of the system , idea is to get both shoes expanding together , with new shoes and the brake plate in your hand adjust the linkage so the cam on the second shoe contacts it at the same time as the first shoe , give it a run then check wear pattern and tweak if required ,unless u r riding full on mx soften up the forks , if it,s a j  i,m not sure how to get the rear suspension to behave , just make sure it,s all in good nick , or pissit all off and fit a 465 swing arm on it and soften the shock , if it,s a k their good in the rear , if it,s an L -lucky u   the 490,s aren,t the best in the class but are easy to maintain and get parts for ,    

lms6201

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:28:58 am »
  i forgot ,  u gotta have 490,s  so,s those honda boys can skite about how fast their bikes go !!

All Things 414

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 09:15:31 am »
I think this anti-yz490 thing is a bit of an urban myth (as any Montesa rider can attest to) created by Mr Sieman and ran with by other journo's over the years. I can only go by a mates bike that was used in the 80's and ridden by a pretty tidy rider. He can't understand all the hype about how bad they were as his ran flawlessly and was reliable as a rock. Same goes for all the 'pinging' that is talked about.
He's building one up as we speak for Viper and is more than comfortable with his choice.
Also, as pointed out, parts are easy to get and nicely priced.....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:43:18 am by 390 Ross »

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 09:35:11 am »
I have a 1984 Motocross action here that has a five way shootout that states that the YZ490L was a winner hands down ???,  I was always of the opinion the L model was a great bike...

lms6201

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:51:32 am »
fella,s i couldn,t agree more , anyone who says the 465 is a better bike  is just getting on the bag the 490 band wagon , i believe the 465 was better against it,s opposition , where as the 490 wasn,t as comp. against it,s rival,s esp the j , i have a very good 465 , and believe me i,d rather ride one of my 490,s , and if we are talking pre 85 , yes the 84 L is a little bit better  ,

jim goose

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:22 am »
That's a load of crap that you need to put a 465 top end on a 490 to get it working. The 490K and 490L can be made to run sweet with a little machining of the combustion chamber and correct jetting. You can be sure the A graders of the day ran 490 top ends and they didn't detonate or sieze in a 20min moto.

lms6201

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
bang on jim , in fact the opposite switch is far more interesting !  with the 5 speed box

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:14:53 pm »
I have that article your chasing, let me know how to get it to you.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »
If you can't hear them pinging you must not know what to listen for they won't ping on the stand but as soon as it under load.........
Jesus only loves two strokes