Author Topic: Nice '68 DT1 at Gold Coast Bike Expo.  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Nice '68 DT1 at Gold Coast Bike Expo.
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:46:05 pm »
There on a pedestal, amongst all the bling and technology, sat this little beauty.
A small oasis of vintage in a sparkling sea of expensive moderns.

The blurb alongside says it took 12 months to restore using parts readily available on the Internet.
Pretty ay? 8)

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

cbc

Re: Nice '68 DT1 at Gold Coast Bike Expo.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:41 pm »
Yeagh saw it Wombat looked very nice!!! Wasnt much else in vintage there although I got a good dvd 83-87 Supercross.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:37:56 pm »
Is that the one Firko did up on behalf of Yamaha Australia for some company milestone a few years ago?
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Doc

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:25:06 am »
Looks to me to be the very same bike feetup. If it runs a 2.75 and not the 3.00 tyre on the front then it's Firko's ;) parts are readily available on the internet if anything like the '69 TS250 :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:33:32 am by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:02 am »
Is that the one Firko did up on behalf of Yamaha Australia for some company milestone a few years ago?
I've been waiting for the photo upload thing to work so I can post this image; the blurb poster alongside the bike.
It appears some bloke called Glenn Palmer did the resto over 12 months with 'parts readily available on the Internet'.
Sorry, not Firkos.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:36 am »
Beautiful stuff -at least its from the right era  ;)   ;D
Alison
Best is in the West !!

PJR

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:17:53 am »
Quote from Firkos email:
"The DT1 is probably owned by Glenn Palmer from the North Coast. He started restoring his just after mine and we've both helped each other out with parts and advice. Glenns bike is a far more anal resto than mine. While mine is probably identical to his to most eyes, Glenn went over and above the call of duty for originality, searching for the exact right part wheras I would settle for a close relative from another model. I'm toying with the idea of selling mine but it's probably not the right time to sell, especially for a high end forty year old trail bike"

Doc

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:56 am »
is there ever such a thing as the ideal time to sell a vintage bike? I don't believe so, what gets passed in one day sells for over and above market price the next so it's really all over the place. The prices are not set as prices with vintage depends on how much the seller wants the bike. Maybe driven by sentimentality or maybe a desireable model from ones youth that could never have been afforded until midlife or maybe it's simply the midlife crisis scenario. It all depends on the day but to catch the right fish you may have to wait a while :)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »
Jeez Firko gets around! Is there anyone he doesn't know? ;) :D
Here's another view of the little DT:

Doc

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:38:47 pm »
Jeez Firko gets around! Is there anyone he doesn't know? 

Wombat in the vintage world, I highly doubt it :D