Author Topic: Fork differences on YZ400D,E & F ?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fork differences on YZ400D,E & F ?
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »
Can anyone tell me the differences between YZ250/400D,E & F forks & triples ? I imagine that the F forks will be a bit longer & have more travel , but I would think that the D & E forks will be pretty much the same . I am thinking of using a set of YZ D forks & triples on a '77 CR250 Husky . I will probably have to get a new stem made for the triples & will have to check that the offset is about the same . The Husky still had ball bearings in the steering head in '77 , so I wouldn't mind an upgrade to tapered rollers as well .

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Fork differences on YZ400D,E & F ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:26 pm »
Looking at the parts diagram, the lower legs are the same, (YZ250/400D-E-F) the springs are the same and most of everything else is the same. The upper legs of the YZ-F could be different (maybe longer) but thats about it.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:02:17 pm »
hi,

The bar position may be different as the yz are set back on an angle and the husky is mounted in the middle of the tree.

Chris.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:46 pm »
I checked the offset on a set of YZ triple clamps & they are a fair bit different to the Husky . I also checked a set of Maico AW triples & they are real close , so I think I will use the Maico forks & clamps .

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »
Evo check the offset of the axle from the fork leg as well.
Yamaha run 25mm in the clamps and 35mm in the forks.

By all accounts Huskys could do with a little less offset in the steering anyway.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
this may be a bit late but here goes   d and e the diference is in the fork lower its about 30mm longer you can see a diference at the bottom it has 2 lumps 1 being the drain screw the other is a casting left over .the extra length was to reduce flex.the fork tubes are the same on the d and e but on the f they are longer. the e and f use the same fork lower. the dampening rods are the same with the 2 negitive springs on the d and e on the f the rod is the same length but has better bushing and one of the negitive springs is removed giving it 25mm extra travel .   d and e have the same spring the f is different .     i have all 3 shocks in peices if you need more info            arno