Author Topic: How To Remove A Tyre  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: How To Remove A Tyre
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »
Hey Doc your the man,

i was just about to post the same thing. I run 4 strips of inner tube under across the rim ( or should i say thread it across when the tyre is on before i bead it.   As the dirt bikes use Tubes your not so worried about the seal, but stopping the rim spining and taking out the valve.   

Used my spare wheel with soft tyre on TM last year, Learned that lesson to do it to them all, race one in Tassie Nats, ripped the valve right out but it stayed in place and went down by the last lap. Only Rim without the tapes and only one to spin out a valve in over 10 years.

I use 4 inch strips now but cut them off so they dont flap about and have never had a rim spin, as the rim moves it tries to roll up the rubber stip in the bead and locks in, i have heard of some of the speedway guys go one better and use spray adhesive. 

Another one i have tried and works is to assemble with hair spray, when it dry's out it goes tacky and sticks forming a adhesive seal between the rim and the bead, seen that work on a 500 single on a flat track runing 6psi, so i know it works for sure.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:54:22 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Ji Gantor

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2009, 07:41:43 pm »
Great input Freakshow

Ji

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:26 pm »
CLICK THIS to find out how you inflate a tyre and pop the bead in a hurry ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Ji Gantor

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:53 pm »
Hi Lozza,
I have seen lighter fuel used like that to inflate quad tyres.
Very dangerous.
Don't try that at home.

Ji

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »
Local Bike shop.... ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline 490 tez

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:18 am »
yer tim im with you local bike shop  ;D too easy. and i just take a spare bike on race day saves changing a spare wheel just undo 2 tie downs :D
big bore two strokes rock!!!!!!!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:14 am »
that sounds interesting putting rubber strips across the rim .thats new to me ...and it really works? another old speedway trick is to punch a hole through the side wall of the tyre and stick the valve out through that hole! looks crude but if the tyre slips on the rim it has nothing to stop the tube going with it.... i was riding at young in 1960 something and it was a very wet and slippery track after rain and young jim airey was pitted next to us merrylands boys. he was riding his very fast payne framed BSA [B31 i think] he came in from practice ,ripped of the back wheel and tyre ,got a big hammer and chisel and formed spurs on the inside edge of the rim about every inch around the wheel!...looked a bit unsutle to me but apparently it worked! cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Doc

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 11:15:53 am »
Wally, that tip about the strips of rubber came from the speedway sidecar legend Bill Sewell. He mentioned it when a good friend purchased his old Lubi-Tech speedway outfit in the late 80's. We fitted a GS1000S motor and proceeded straight to roost heaven without passing go..never did the tyre creep even though it was bloody enormous! :o ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:44:01 pm by Doc »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »
 kool doc!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
I am really looking forward to trying the rubber strips now.

Ji

mx250

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:11 am »
Dunlop's advice or taking the tyre off.

I like it. I'll have to try it next time. Doing the opposite fitting the tyre might be a good thing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKzoaL8qaI&feature=channel_page

mx250

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:01 am »
And to put it on..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYQ6L2jKKQ&feature=related

This looks so easy I think I'll rush out side and whip off and on a few tyres just for the fun of it ::).

But first I'll get me one of those neat ratchet spanners, one of those trick 'hold bead in place' special tools and some funky gloves for that professional look and to protect my delicate little pinkies ;D.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 10:45:48 am »
Hi mx250,
They are great videos of how to get the job done.

Great reply.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 01:55:03 pm »
There are torque spanners to set the tension on your spokes.
They come in a set and work great.
They don't cost as much as a Snap On but look like the same quality.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2009, 07:09:09 am »
Don't throw away your old tubes, with a wad punch you can turn them into washers or muffler mounts. If they are still not to bad repair any holes and keep them as a spare.

Ji