Author Topic: How To Remove A Tyre  (Read 9747 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: How To Remove A Tyre
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 03:38:30 pm »
Hi E74,
I can only do my best.
I had to remove two tyres this morning so why not take time out to photograph the procedure.

I hope those that do not know how to remove a tyre will gain some confidence from this topic. Once I have sorted out the hub, rim and spokes I will post a new topic, How To Put A Tyre On.

I have just started cleaning the rim of 30 years of neglect.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 04:21:20 pm »
Hi CST,
Thanks for your kind words.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 06:29:24 pm »
All of the above plus I use rim protectors

Ji Gantor

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »
Hi oldfart,
I use rim protectors too, but only on polished or near new rims.
Great addition to my postings.

Ji
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:59:46 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 06:40:50 pm »
Hi E74,
I can only do my best.
I had to remove two tyres this morning so why not take time out to photograph the procedure.

I hope those that do not know how to remove a tyre will gain some confidence from this topic. Once I have sorted out the hub, rim and spokes I will post a new topic, How To Put A Tyre On.

I have just started cleaning the rim of 30 years of neglect.

Ji

( just taking the piss Ji), Great effort with heaps of detail!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 06:42:42 pm »
Hi E74,
Thanks for the kind words.
Keep well.

Ji

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:14 pm »
Great work Ji.  It shows a real passion for helping others in this sport ????/hobby ????/disease of ours ;D ;D ;D My hat is off to you ;)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Ji Gantor

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
Hi PEZBerg,
Thanks for your support.
I used to scratch rims and rupture beads before someone showed me how to change a tyre properly.
I really appreciated that act of kindness and I hope I have helped others as I was helped.
It is such an easy thing to do but most of us put it off thinking it is to hard. It is simple and only takes 5 minutes once you have all the tools assembled.

Keep well.
Ji

mx250

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 10:14:13 pm »
Good stuff Ji. My one tip for removing tyres is, leave both the old tyre and the replacement tyre in the sun for about an hour before you attempt the work. It's surprising how much easier a sun warmed tyre is to remove or replace compared to a cold tyre ;) :D ;D.

mx250

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »
Whooops, just noticed you said that ::). I use WD40 as a lube. It dries into the tyre and won't promote rust inside the rim ;) :).

Ji Gantor

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 11:24:16 pm »
Hi mx250,
You are so right.
I find it very hard to open an old tyre enough to remove the tube with my hand if it has not sat in the sun for a while. I have found the force used to turn the bead over the rim the first time on a cold tyre must be nearly twice that of a warm tyre. Put it in the sun, a simple trick that really pays off.

I have used CRC as a tyre fitment lube before and it works great. I feel it evaporates all most as fast as the window cleaner but there is always those that will say that it is a petroleum product and thus will damage the rubber in the tyre and tube. If you replace your tyres once a year I can not see it doing any harm. The window cleaner is an alcohol and evaporates completely.

The lube used in some tyre fitment shops is water based. This lube can promote corrosion of the rim and rim lock. This lube looks a bit like Vaseline and is not recommended for same day racing use. The lube takes a while to dry and there is a possibility that the tyre may rotate on the rim. This rotation may tear the tube and deflate the tyre.

This is great,
This is a forum.

Thanks Ji.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 03:57:33 am »
With an anodised or polished rim-I had to take to the fitment shop-auto "no touch" changer ( about $ US10-20). Besides, anyone else notice that the tires today have stiffer sidewalls than say 15 years ago or more....or maybe I'm just getting older.

Last tire I changed in a hurry was on a 74 KTM 250 at a 45 min GP around 94-95. I had lots of help and got it done in under 10 min. Thing is, at that speed I was leary of it being on right etc. I put some Pirellis on the RM250a last year or so.
The rims were soft( I actually remembered that the stock RM rims were soft)-so I did everything you did, plus continually heated the tire. The tire on it were some name i've never heard of-and the hardest tires I ever removed, including ones I've cut off.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Ji Gantor

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:19 am »
Hi Maicojames,
Thanks for sharing your experiances with tyre fitment.
I have seen a few times with dirt bikes but mainly quads where the old tyre has been cut off rather than spending the time to lever them off. When a tyre is old it hardens and it take twice the effort to remove than a new one.

Ji
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:04:22 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 09:24:33 am »
Another important thing about changing or maintaining a tyre is the tube valve.
The valve in the tube which is also the valve in gas and compressed air shocks and forks were designed in 1891 by old man Schrader, and that is where the valve got its name. The thing that not too many people know, but may have noticed is that the Schrader valve was designed as a delivery system not a retention system.

Ji
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:53:21 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 09:32:07 am »
The Schrader valve does hold in the compressed gas or air to a certain extent but take a look at that expensive pair of gas shocks or forks you own. The valve is covered by a metal cap. This cap is actually the retention device. To prevent deflation I run good quality steel caps with a rubber seal and not the plastic cap that comes with the tube.

Ji
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:28:07 am by Ji Gantor »