Author Topic: Rickman line up 1973  (Read 9270 times)

TM BILL

Rickman line up 1973
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:30 am »
Rickman line up at factory 1973

Back row L & R Don & Derek true visionarys and craftsman

Bloke in front row far left a Bloody legend and active VMXer  :)

Back row 4th from left Don Schmidt Ace 2 stroke tuner and manufacturer of the Mohican schoolboy scramblers , How i would love one of those now  ;D Don was a great bloke who was always ready to help any kid at the hundreds of meetings he and his family travelled to over the years .
Sadly Don passed away some years ago but he is remembered fondly by a generation of schoolboy scramblers.

Front row 3rd from left , is that you Wayne from WA ?

Front row 3rd from right Stephen breaker whos cousin Geoff races VMX here in NZ aka the big cheese  :)

Front row far right Harrison brothers visitors to NZ in the late 70s early 80s . Did Steve or Paul win a NZ title ?

TM BILL

Re: Rickman line up 1973
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:25:26 pm »
wOULD wayne Clarke be the same Pommy Wayne Clarke that raced Metisses in WA until his recent retirement? You never know!

Thats what i was eluding to  :) there is some resembelance .

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:40:00 pm »
What a pearlier of a pic8) Which magazine was it in Bill?
emailing W Clarke as we read.(he's a bit British  ;D)
the age looks right for 1973
alison

Reply =
Yes, that's me.  Thay year the Rickman's chose a number of riders from around Britain to sponsor and I was one of them.
regards Wayne
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:16:34 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:22:44 pm »
remember as a young kid my father used to take me to their workshop and they'd feed me marmite (yuck) sandwiches.  they used to race at beanham (think that's how you spell it
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 04:33:38 pm »
remember as a young kid my father used to take me to their workshop and they'd feed me marmite (yuck) sandwiches.  they used to race at beanham (think that's how you spell it

those where special days,  :o  being right at the door step   :o
(marmite & vegemite yuk) agree   ;D
what about yellow perral,or maybe your too young for that  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:03:57 pm »

Front row far right Harrison brothers visitors to NZ in the late 70s early 80s . Did Steve or Paul win a NZ title ?
[/quote]

Can't answer for Steve Harrison, but Paul H didn't win a title, he was unlucky to make his trips to NZ when the Ploen v Miller war was in full swing. Paul was an honest competitor though, and he toured with Paul Orritt, who later became famous for that terrifying tankslapper crash down Bray Hill in the Isle of Man.... :o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:40 pm »

those where special days,  :o  being right at the door step   :o
(marmite & vegemite yuk) agree   ;D
what about yellow perral,or maybe your too young for that  ;D
Hated the yellow peril, but loved faggotts and lardie cake
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Liqueur

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:04:34 am »
alison

Reply =
Yes, that's me.  Thay year the Rickman's chose a number of riders from around Britain to sponsor and I was one of them.
regards Wayne

The photo was in Motorcycle News early in 1973, I posted it on MX Vintage a couple of years ago so obviously someone copied it......... Bill ??  ;)  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:06 pm »
alison
Reply =
regards Wayne
The photo was in Motorcycle News early in 1973, I posted it on MX Vintage a couple of years ago so obviously someone copied it......... Bill ??  ;)  ;D

Cheers,thanks for sharing- I'd dare say its been copied a few times since  ;)  ;D are you over in VMX USA or UK land.
Don't be shy in visiting one day, always a bike here for you.  8)
cheers West Aust
Best is in the West !!

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:30:33 am »
Don did alsorts to the Zundapp to keep them flying at the front.  At one time you were no where unless you had a Schmidt tuned bike.  They were everywhere until the Suzukis arrived.  He even made his own bike using a Zundapp motor that he called the Mohican Scrambler.  We had a motor he had worked on and he had fitted a reed block, very nice....
My Family are from New Milton where the factory was based.  Everyone knows someone who worked there.  Saw Derek a couple of weeks ago at Barton on Sea walking his dog!  His car has the registration ~ Meti55e which is a nice touch!

Dad still has his original Rickman Zundapp in the shed with a whole host of other pieces of precious metal that started life as 531 tubing in Hampshire.....

Liqueur

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 07:16:24 am »
Don did alsorts to the Zundapp to keep them flying at the front.  At one time you were no where unless you had a Schmidt tuned bike.  They were everywhere until the Suzukis arrived.  He even made his own bike using a Zundapp motor that he called the Mohican Scrambler.  We had a motor he had worked on and he had fitted a reed block, very nice....
My Family are from New Milton where the factory was based.  Everyone knows someone who worked there.  Saw Derek a couple of weeks ago at Barton on Sea walking his dog!  His car has the registration ~ Meti55e which is a nice touch!

Dad still has his original Rickman Zundapp in the shed with a whole host of other pieces of precious metal that started life as 531 tubing in Hampshire.....

Has he got a nice spare Zundapp motor tucked away in the shed? Ive not got anything left but I do have 1 brand new Mohican frame which will get built one day.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
Anyone got a pic of a Mohican?

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 09:52:13 pm »

Has he got a nice spare Zundapp motor tucked away in the shed? Ive not got anything left but I do have 1 brand new Mohican frame which will get built one day.

Yes, there are three, all in wooden crates, all gift wrapped and ready to ship anywhere in the world!  They are Rickman spec motors rather than Mohican tuned motors (so no reed blocks, although you can now get them)  The Dutch go mental for these motors and the good news is that you can get almost anything and everything needed for the motor; gear box spares ~ they can suffer with false neutrals, all the cases screws, gaskets, gears, pistons, modern bolton electronic ignitions that really help transform the bike etc.  Fill your boots!

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:42 am »
Great picture Bill.
I do remember this one from way back when.
I saw Roger Neale not long ago for a natter and a brew. He looks pretty much the same, albeit a couple of years older. He only packed in racing a few years ago after a nasty injury whilst racing. He now keeps his hand in with a few trials, and relaxing.
Reminds me .... I must pop over and see him again this weekend.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:49:24 pm »
Thought paul one a title on a 125cc??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina