Author Topic: TM250L- Nats Project  (Read 52832 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
TM250L- Nats Project
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:07 pm »
Here is the stage we are up to on the TM.  8)
Have to measure for the right size crate to send it to down town Conondale in Qld for August.
Best is in the West !!

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: TM250L- Nats Project
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »
cool keep the pictures coming
as you progress along 8)
follow me to first turn

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:12 pm »
whats the IGn box off ?  is it an early TM or of somthing else ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:42 pm »
As far as I know its off the TM,just as I bought it,
7 years ago.
but I know that the 78 PE250 coil and cdi works just fine,cause that's me spare  8)
Steven
Best is in the West !!

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:03:21 pm »
Hi VMX, are they TM forks? Have you ridden the bike yet with these forks. I am thinking about getting a pair I know of for a bike I am putting together. Any feedback or help with pre-75 forks appreciated as this class is new to me...... except for my XR 75 from 1874!!!.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »
Very nice work, I am impressed.
I can not wait to see it in the flesh come August.

Doesn't a rebuilt bike give you a happy warm feeling inside, when I walk into a bike shop to get parts I just don't see the new bikes like I once did.

Ji

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »
im thinking the 74/75 was Square black box  with ribs at the top, that one looks  more like a later ts or similar, be good to know if it works and such with the curve, be good to stick that in the Kit bag if its a cheap alternative. 

Some mob are doing 125 one's new for a hungy out of thialand or somwhere but never seen them do the TM 250, which would be just as easy if they are set up.  must follow that one up...............
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »
Steve - looks nice.  Will we see it out locally before the Nats?????  Shame it isn't as good as a Yamaha though eh!!!!!! :D :D :D

luv ya

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »
Nice project  :) those forks look like RM 125A or later moder TS forks .

What size is your XL in the back ground ? will that be coming to Connondale as well ?

Keep the pics coming , its always nice to watch a project grow  :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:37 pm »
suzuki27 and the rest.
I need to start with the history of the bike a bit. I purchased the TM off one of the original WA McCullock Suzuki Mechanics, A bloke by the name of Shane Thompson. Shane had collected a lot of TM stuff and probably built this bike from a collection of the bits he had. Being a Suzuki man he new what could work with what.The forks as far as I would know would be TM. I brought all of Shane's collection of bits, which included fork sets and they are all pretty similar.So if they look like something else - you guys would know more than me. The forks work pretty good. I run a couple of spacers for pre load and a couple of pound of air. Then I think you just have to hold on - -- don't you? At the end of the day the forks still go up and down the same amount as any other. Just thinking - it would not surprise me if the were of something later - knowing Shane  ::)
 Shane unfortunately came amiss on a modern bike at a local enduro and now sports his own set of wheels, unfortunately they are pretty well attached to himself.
I have raced this bike for several seasons, prior to going big bore. The truth being I killed two engines in quick succession, lost a bit of interest in running a 250 against the open class bikes. (WA runs graded racing most of the time  - not capacity) The TM is no slouch though - or the open class boys were a bit slow off the mark.  ;D
The XL is 350 - bored to 420 and it undertook a major weight loss program. If it could be machined or drilled it was. Hubs, forks, bolts head, barrel. you name it. I think it lost around 15 kg from memory. Different cam and have recently changed gearbox ratios to 250. Its not going to the Nats. I chose the TM, why - it was time to put it back together & It goes like a power of piss. eh Rosco. Mind you the xl goes too but doesn't handle like the 250  :P
Yes Rosco I will be riding it this season. The XL will probably be out first until the TM is ready, I really want to get back on the 250 for a while. It was a good fun bike to ride and could be backed into corners so easy.
Freaky- the ignitions. --- well it was bolted to it when I brought it. However one day I thought I had an issue with ignition. I have a few spare PE bits, so to see if it works I chucked one on with its coil. It ran and I didn't know any difference. Simple electrical wiring principals - the plugs all went together and it started - what more do you want?
Thanks for the encouragement from all
Steven

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:37:05 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »
next pic for a while  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:44:33 am »
I remember now Steve - that TM won me a jersey in a photo comp!!!!

:D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:30:07 pm »
Getting another tanked painted by the brother-in-law at the moment.
is it still
Aspen Yellow 163   3Y 10/8,
or does someone know the new numbers/codes, as he can't seem to find it easily.
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:58 pm »
Its #163 Phlolina yellow and you can't get it anymore because it contained lead, if you have a nice bright NOS item in this colour then you may find a close colour match, otherwise if your using aftermarket plastics match it to them.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »
Thanks CG..
Best is in the West !!