Author Topic: Your number 1 race tip to a newbie  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Your number 1 race tip to a newbie
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 12:36:56 am »
Stretching, particularly the forearm muscles.
Bend the fingers back and stretch coz you won't realise how tight you're gripping the bars until you finish.
The arm pump is huge!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:06 am »
bloody hell Tony! and all this time i thought you were a pro!
drink/sip {whatever} plenty of water throughout the day and keep your fluid levels up. nothing worse than getting a headache from dehydration. and most of the stuff these guys have said.
enjoy your bike! get the damn thing dirty, then do it again!
good luck champ! and have fun!
"flat bickie"

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
There are a lot of good tips here. Here are some of the tips I give to juniors when I am coaching,

My No.1 tip: Remember that the throttle works in both directions, you are allowed to slow down!

No.2 tip: Ride to your limit, not some other guys limit. It isn't classed as a finish if you cross the line in the back of an ambulance!

No.3 tip: Enjoy yourself, and smile even if you are coming last as it really confuses the opposition.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:52 pm »
Good one Nathan about last place race beets the spectator!

Sit back enjoy the show in front of who knows it could end up like the winter olympic ice speed skater a few years back- what was his name? Gold medal aussie dood
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
...the winter olympic ice speed skater a few years back- what was his name? Gold medal aussie dood
Steven Bradbury.
His name is mentioned often (amongst my crowd at least) when someone wins coz others fell over. ;)

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline subarumy98

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 02:46:29 am »
Some easy points:

1. Turn on your fuel.
2. Remember to breathe.
3. Make sure you have fun.
4. Get to the venue early.
5. Prep your bike - in fact this should be number 1. No fun breaking down amongst all the excitement.
6. Pace yourself
7. Have fun.
8. Write down your bike snag list the day after
9. Make a note of where you felt slow on the track, go back the next week to re-ride the section if you can

Good luck

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 08:30:18 am »
I went to one of Craig Dack's schools once..... he said "slow down to speed up" works, take your time and learn the track at first. If you can get some alone time at a track jump the same jump or ride the same section of whoops a few times in a row, you can push it a little more each time and find your limits. Theres  a reason guys are faster on their home track.
formerly Marc.com

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:29 am »
Some Brilliant tips here.  If I follow all these I'm sure to be a lot better off.  Thanks Guys - you've done it again 8).

I probably should have mentioned that we have Evo class up here, but sometimes there is not enough to run a class (which is a shame).  A couple of the guys on here sometimes ride in it.  If there is not enough for an evo class there are a few other to choose from - Veterans, unlimited, or if I'm desperate trailbikes.
By all accounts the track is "the best in the world" (possibly one of those north Queensland exagerations ;D ).  Slippery when wet, dusty when dry.  Natural terrain (mostly) and Evo friendly.  Perfect.

I took a picture of the track layout, but won't post it here for fear of offending the club.  I will seek permission and post it later if they let me.  Would be a good topic for bench racing on how to get around the fast way.

I'll be sure to get plenty of photos and some video.  I think I'll get a few practice days in first, so first race will be a little while off.

Steven Bradbury is an inspiration to most Australians - his MO is probably the only way I will ever get a place  :D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Doc

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 07:37:49 am »
best advice I've seen here is one posted by MarkFX.

"slow down to speed up" I was told this many years ago and it most definately works! I preach it till I'm blue in the face to anyone who cares to ask or needs to know and if you keep this in mind and don't get caught up in the moment you'll do just fine. Slowing the bike is easy but it's the mental attitude that requires the brakes put on :)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
remember to open your eyes,
Breathe

Do not let your wife be your pit bitch
Do not let your wife take up photograph and take those endearing action shots of you
keep the zimmer frame close to your bike when you finish

On Saturday night around the campfire, don't lie, it won't help when people remember the next day

The smile on your face will tell you how much fun you've had and getting out of bed the next morning will remind you how old you've got, but damn it was fun
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »
Spring washers, Nyloc nuts, Lock wire and Loctite are your best friends.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 03:19:34 pm »
As a great man and national champion one said to me,....

"Don't be scared of getting hurt, it's motocross and you ARE going to get hurt! just accept it"... ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:23:23 pm by E74 »

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
Smooth is fast.
Cheers,
K

mx250

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 10:06:36 pm »
Hey Tony, four pages of good info, I expect you to become Club Champ this season ;D.

mx250

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »
Smooth is fast.
Cheers,
K
Hey Mick, I bet you use to love watching Laurie Allerton; l did ;D. Mr Smoooth.