Author Topic: Suzuki CCI  (Read 7498 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Suzuki CCI
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »
As I'm putting my TM125 motor together I've had a close look at the oil injectioin system for the first time.

I knew if you wanted to run TM/TS/TC's on premix you should remove the oil slinger or shield that is fitted to the crank.

Actually there are two shields. One is fitted to the LH main bearing and it fits inside a second one fitted to the crank.
The oil pump has two outlets. One feeds into the intake tract and privides oil to go with the incoming fuel. This one varies with throttle postion.
The second feed goes to outside of the LH main bearing.The oil passes through the bearing and is held in by the sheild on the inside. As the oil level increases (only a few mm) it flows into the shield fitted to the crank. This is spinning and has a drain feeding into the hollow end of the crank pin. The crank pin then has an oil hole feeding the big end bearing. I though this was quite well thought out. The RH main bearing runs in gearbox oil and this way the LH is running in oil as well.
This second oil feed is a constant flow.

If you were to change to premix I now see how the two sheilds will restrict the flow of fuel/oil mix to the LH main bearing.

Just a bit more useless info

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki CCI
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02:50 am »
To convert it's a matter of getting the cover off the crank trimming down with tin snips so the bearing cage is uncovered, and blocking feed holes.I normaly drill a feed hole if there isn't one there to the outer of the bearing to.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:02:59 pm »
Never had a problem with CCI on Suzukis at all. What would be an if any advantage, except a small weight loss, in removing these easy to live with systems? Tim754
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:37:24 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:21 pm »
Never had a problem with CCI on Suzuki at all. What would be any advantage except a small weight loss in removing these easy to live with systems? Tim754

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"  Only good reason to remove is if oil lines/tank etc are stuffed or unobtainable.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Doc

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:39:00 pm »
or as in my case when you build a bike from various bits you use what is financially available. I'm about to start another 'modified' TM125 project and this bike will not have the oil injection simpy because to buy all the bits I need is a little costly and it's not essential for performance. If you like the injector system and you have it fitted or are restoring that's great but if you don't like it and want it gone then I don't see any problem with that either excepting the oil feed hole for the left main that Loz mentioned should most definately be drilled. The RL250 is the only pre'75 Suzuki to run full premix and the hole is most definatley there while the rest of the parts aren't, makes for a much cheaper replacement for the left hand main too as a regular $20 bearing can be used instead of the special $80 shrouded job. The CCI is a great setup and dead reliable but I too can see why some would like it gone ;)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »
brent
Your probably already all over this, but for what's it's worth if you do decide to remove the autolube, might I recommend a plug chop with the new fuel/oil mix before racing the ring out of it.
I have paid the price in the past, once bitten twice shy.

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »
Thanks EVO,

Good advice never goes to waste.

At present I think I'll be using the injection. I collected the parts I needed when prices were better and I'd like to keep it original or as original as I can. From my TM in the 70's I remember how reliable it was.

When I got this bike the oil tank, pump and such had been removed but not the slinger. The LH main and big end seemed to be in worse condition than the rest of the motor.

Like you say Doc with it or with out it won't affect the performance, not for me anyway, but I'm interested to know just where to drill the oil hole to feed the LH main, for maybe future reference.
Glad to see you back by the way!

I've chased up a few people for advice on this one so I'll say thanks to them, you know who you are!

As I said I was quite surprised at the way Suzuki feed oil from the main bearing to the big end, so simple but quite effective, until you want to remove it that is!

Thanks and cheers

Brent

Doc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
Brent here is a pic of the RL250 lube hole. It pierces the bearing carrier on the bearing seating surface and simply feeds in. I don't have any motors split at present to show the internal location but it's nothing special  ;)

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:17 pm »
Thanks Doc, I'll file that one for future reference.

My cases have small holes in the transfers just above the crank. They go down about 8-10mm then in toward the crank. They don't penetrate the steel bearing sleeves and really I can't see any point in them being there.

Brent

Doc

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:27 am »
as silly as this may sound I'd reckon they're casting remnants from the factory 125 racers of pre'74 Brent. Yet to see an RA125 with an oil tank/injection..actually yet to see much at all of the pre'74 RA125's ??? Seems RH250's,RN400(420/440) and some later model 125's but never have I seen a decent article in 'any' magazine nor even a decent close up photo :-\ Wish I had some cases apart cause my memory is shot but I'd be near inclined to say the hole is there just as you say, it just it doesn't pierce the steel carrier insert ;) only other thing I can think of is some type of stress relief for the cases/bearing ??? can't imagine that though...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:47:47 am by Doc »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:56:15 am »
They will be there because the cores of the casting probably were used for more than 1 model and various machining operations  turned them into TM/TS/RL cases. Brent clamp case against angle plate and drill with long series 3mm drill, make a path to LH side of the bearing with a burr, hardly a challenge for a bloke like you.

Doc

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »
Loz, none of the TM/TS/RV/TC125's suzuki ever ran premix from the factory. The cases do not suit any others excepting in 1 premix variation being the RM125M/S of '75 so if it is casting 'core' remnants from another model it has to be from an RA or whatever they were called pre'74 The TS125 came 2 full years before the TM125 was released and it used basically the same engine design ;) 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:33:36 pm by Doc »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »
Maybe a roadie?

Doc

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:52 pm »
not with those cases or derivatives thereof Loz. GP125's didn't come out till about '78 and they are a rotary valver ala TS100 and the earlier piston port B100/120 (120cc) were of the really old school suzuki design and they too had CCI. Doesn't matter a zac but my theory sounds better ;D

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:03:12 pm »
I'll try and get a pic of the holes and have a close look at them. I'm tending to think they are not std