Author Topic: who has heard of this lately? no more kids bikes in US?  (Read 7737 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: who has heard of this lately? no more kids bikes in US?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpsia.pdf

Section 101 Children's products containing lead; lead paint rule.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »
I think the USA has enough other worries to think of for instance why are they broke and trying to make the rest of the world pay, I dont mind the yanks as in general people 99%. but it would seem they have someone with some brains runnin it now. Probably too late
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:52 pm »
Just been reading some of those links, not only is it genuine, it's genuinely stupid. :o :o

The best thing would be for all the major companies to threaten lay offs around the country, this would get it looked at quick.

And despite all this, chinese toys with lead in them would still get through the system.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 05:50:55 pm »
Arnt ALL kids toys made of plastic. So if the lead is in the plastic that bans everything from Barbie to the Playstation. Or am I missing somthing.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »
Big Brother has certianly lost the plot here,I agree that tainted products should be checked and perhaps random checking of manufactured and imported products (espeically from countries with dodgy ethics)could be a good idea , but a blanket decision like this is very disturbing.I saw a kids movie Wall.E and it showed what hapens to humans that are proteded fro themselves , they turn into fat lazy slobs, get the kids on bikes and off the couch.Ban play stations and severly limit computer time and you get healthy active and hopefully dirt bike crazy kids!
We dont need to be protected we all have choice and and ( a ever deminishing ) free will,if you buy products that are suspect then Darwins theory will take care of you.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 07:28:37 pm »
I think 'insane' is the word we're looking for...
But this sort of crap has been happening for a while; I tried to buy some seats from a Football Stadium in the UK back in March 2006.
The old Arsenal Stadium was being pulled down and the old seats were made available to the Fans.
I paid my money, they agreed to post to OZ, the deal was confirmed - and then I got this e-mail:

It is with great regret that the Club announces that we are unable to sell any Highbury seats to you. We have been informed that all of the Highbury seats, apart from the Directors' Box, the dug outs and the Executive Box seats, contain very small amounts of the toxic metal cadmium. The seats are completely safe and are not a risk to health when located within a stadium, but it is understood that if the seats are stored inside and used regularly over a long period of time, there is a slight risk that very small amounts of cadmium could be released.

Although being a very small risk, the Club is not prepared to put any of our supporters in this situation, and having also received a directive from the European Commission, unfortunately we cannot sell any Highbury seats for individual domestic use.

It went on a great deal longer but you get the point.
Tens of thousands of people had parked their arses on those seats for decades.
And then someone throws a "What if?" into the mix and it all falls over.
Now the kids bikes! F*ck me - make it stop!!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »
But this sort of crap has been happening for a while; I tried to buy some seats from a Football Stadium in the UK back in March 2006.
The old Arsenal Stadium was being pulled down and the old seats were made available to the Fans.
I paid my money, they agreed to post to OZ, the deal was confirmed - and then I got this e-mail:

It is with great regret that the Club announces that we are unable to sell any Highbury seats to you. We have been informed that all of the Highbury seats, apart from the Directors' Box, the dug outs and the Executive Box seats, contain very small amounts of the toxic metal cadmium. The seats are completely safe and are not a risk to health when located within a stadium, but it is understood that if the seats are stored inside and used regularly over a long period of time, there is a slight risk that very small amounts of cadmium could be released.

Although being a very small risk, the Club is not prepared to put any of our supporters in this situation, and having also received a directive from the European Commission, unfortunately we cannot sell any Highbury seats for individual domestic use.

The crying shame/enviro polluter of it all, is that it ends up in land fill or burnt on a pile.
Some where out of sight.  :'(   >:(  :'(  alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 11:33:12 pm »
I rode at Wonthaggi at the weekend ,200 riders at a practice day and 75 % of them were kids . I didnt see any of them smoking,drinking doing drugs or creating any trouble . 13 year old kids are just about to move into the lights class and most have been racing a couple of years already .A quick look around the pits shows the commitment of all the competitors & familys with heaps of money spent on transporters,bikes and everything else needed to go camping regularly with your kids to get them to the next race meeting . What a croc of shit these DoGooders are so far out of touch . Someone tell me it's not real please.!
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:18 pm »

This is nothing new to me, everything my company sends to the E.U has to R.O.H.S compliant which means no Lead, no Cadmium and a bunch of other toxic metals and they check with a swab cloth that changes colour in the presence of any of it and bin if it does regardless of cost.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 04:58:37 am »
Typcal tip of shit here-not sure which administration got it done, but suspect it's the former one-to make this one look bad, hell I have friends so paranoid over just the current administration that I can barelt talk to them-and now this.

I can tell you this much, my daughter just turned nine years. She is 134 cm tall and about 28 kgs -no body fat at all. All her friends were here for her birthday, and man they are fat. My girl rides her pushy daily-ad did ride a PW50 Yammie from 3-5 years old. Says she want to wait til 16 years to race with AHRMA and Sidecar cross.
I was hoping that I would have a better year, and that at some point the prices of the Asian pit bikes would fall a bit-and we would pick one up. Well, look slike  along wait for that 440 Maico at 16 now ! Actually, we will pick up something this summer and get it going-something OLD.

Cheers, James
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 08:25:07 am »
For gods sake dont let the Ausie polly get wind of this. In there mind if its happening in the US it is good so it must happen here.

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:10 am »
All things such as this only happen because the general population let it happen.
I really do dispise the modern PC Greenie world.

They can make up all the laws & rules they want but they will only work if we all roll over and abide by them .

I was in the UK  when the Poll tax replaced local council rates , individuals stood up and said get fuct we aint paying . They made some examples of people but eventualy with the court system backed up for months they gave in and had to change the system.

People power works ,  if the majority dont want somthing then we shouldn't accept it , dont let the bastards win .

Why is it that the world has evolved into this PC mad enviroment when 80% of the people i talk to say they dont like it  :-\

Stand up as Individuals and say NO we wont accept this dont roll over because they say you have to what happened to individual spirit.

I believe these do gooding ECO Bastards are winning because the general population has become so materialistic they are scared to stand up for fear of losing material possesions .

You get one chance at life so dont  waste it  ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:05 am »
from a cz forum
The following is taken from an article printed in the Sunday edition
of Dealernews, published for the Indy show.

==== Quote ====
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said Saturday it has
heard the concerns of the motorcycle and ATV industries and riders and
is responding by taking action to meet their needs.

The agency has decided that machines designated for youth ages 12 to
15 -- formerly the Y12 category -- are not prohibited under new lead
content regulations and can be sold, an agency representative confirms
with Dealernews.

"It's time for everyone to be aware that those models for youths ages
12 to 15 are not deemed to be children's products under the law," said
Scott Wolfson, a CPSC spokesman. "Those that are old Y12 or any newer
version of a model [for 12- to 15-year-olds] do not have to come off
showroom floors and can be sold appropriately to young riders," he
says.

The agency is charged with implementing the Consumer Product Safety
Improvement Act (CPSIA) that was signed by President Bush last August.
The law limits the amount of lead in paint and materials contained in
products designed primarily for youth ages 12 and under.

Wolfson said dealers should "keep in touch with CPSC. We have heard
the voices of those throughout the industry and those who are riders.
We're working as hard as we can as an agency. We have a vast child
safety law we are continuing to interpret and implement the right
way."

While Wolfson said he could not provide a date when the agency would
be able to act upon petitions presented to it by the MC/SVIA that
would permit the sale of youth products, he urged dealers to view the
situation calmly.

"We really want to calm down dealers," he says. "They should get (the
youth models) off their showfloors and back into holding areas. It's
only been a matter of days since we received the industry's petitions.

"We're dealing with more than ATVs -- we're dealing with every single
product for children under 12," Wolfson continues. "We need a little
bit more time to process the petitions and make assessments. We want
our decisions to be based upon sound legal judgments."

Wolfson said the agency is reviewing situations based upon child
safety factors, the law as it's written, and priorities and resources
within the agency.

"The industry needs to settle down," he says. "and give the agency the
appropriate amount of time to review the petition and make sound
decisions that will benefit everyone in the marketplace. "

The new regulations went into effect Feb. 10. Any products for
children that don't meet the requirements specified in the law cannot
be sold. These items include ATVs, dirtbikes, apparel, and related
parts and accessories, in addition to many other products for
children.
==== End Quote ====

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 08:19:05 am »
Nice of them eh? The caring thoughtful people that they are... My heart goes out to them. Wonder where they were in the months since August? Or before that when they contributed to the policy and legislation development process?

Talking to the industries? Forecasting the impact at a time of economic difficulties? Doing any sort of consultation?

Hmmmm...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:24 am »
Wolfson said:
"The industry needs to settle down," he says. "and give the agency the
appropriate amount of time to review the petition and make sound
decisions that will benefit everyone in the marketplace. "

In other words, Mr Wolfson would be happy for his income to be cut in half. He'd be happy for this to continue indefinitely. He'd be happy to know that there would be no back pay even when the idiocy is reversed. He'd be happy being abused everyday.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.