Author Topic: General Dribble  (Read 13159 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: General Dribble
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 12:24:19 am »
I agree with you Brad, but I think there's few on here who haven't posted one liners and gone off topic from time to time.
Yeah there's some, but not many.
For the 'wading through the shit' thing that Brad opened with, I pretty much click only on subjects which interest me; doesn't everyone do that?
Some subjects, if not ALL, wander left and right and get 'highjacked' in some way.
I think it's just the nature of conversation - and forums are just that: conversation.

As an example I was about to mention a subject of no interest to me, but I can't think how I'd do that without someone getting bent out of shape...
Anyway, the point is I just don't open it.
And if a subject interests me but then gets lost in pages of waffle... I just move on.

Some posts do seem better suited to the PM stream - where two people can yabber constantly without annoying the general audience.
Whenever I see the barbs rising in the replies I'm reminded of the recent departure of the good Doc.
I was truly disappointed when that happened on this fantastic forum.

So what's my point? There will always be dribble on forums, but what makes it dribble is purely a matter of opinion.
Let's be respectful on the keyboard AND mature in our postings - and let's also remember we'll likely meet up at some VMX meeting somewhere!
So when we differ, we should agree to disagree agreeably.

It's just an opinion, no tone intended...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 07:22:23 am »
Ok Brad agreed but I'm afraid the child in me is gunna take over from time to time and that's just the way it is. Thing is, I'm also like that in real life so I dont feel so bad about it. Ask my other half!

I think MX250 and Wombat have summed up how I feel about the forum. If there's something interesting, I get into it. If it's a load of crap or dribble, I give it a miss. Sometimes I might add a bit of fuel.  ;)

mx250

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:53 am »
Sometimes I might add a bit of fuel.  ;)
Nothing quite like a bit of good old fashion shit stirring to get a laugh hey Ross.

jim goose

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:52 am »
I'll agree with you brad, there is a fair bit of dribble on here but i guess that's how most forums are. It would be nice to read more informative and old school stuff.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:34 am »
Another bright idea  :D

In the Clubroom section we could have a section called SHIT or USELESS CRAP or BULLSHIT etc and then when you want to read shit then you could go straight to it. After all who wants to wade through pages and pages of factual and informative stuff when all you want to read is crap, lmfao !!!

Likewise a GET OFF THE THREAD SECTION for members who are unsure of how to begin a new topic of their own

ALL GOOD - LOL

Enjoy the working week while I enjoy my annual leave break  ;)

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Ji Gantor

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 09:25:46 am »
Hi Jim Goose,
What is the story with the Gigantor avatar?

Ji

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:41:52 am »
I agree wholeheartedly with you Brad . A lot of the guys that used to put up really informative & interesting stuff , just don't seem to be posting as much any more ( or not bothering at all ) . Also , I don't know if it is because of the hot weather or all the doom & gloom in the media ( about the economy etc. ) , but there seems to be a lot more aggro in this forum lately . I am a bit of a shitstirrer myself , but I am reluctant to post anything now that is taking the piss , because even when you use smiley or grinning emoticons , some people just seem to take it the wrong way . 

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43:56 am »
You now can talk shit in the Bees and birds thread ...............

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:57 am »
Well said Brad
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

firko

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 11:02:52 am »
I'm one of those who read nearly every post. By avoiding posts that we're not interested in we run the risk of missing something that may just improve our knowledge base and open up new horizons. For example, I've never owned or been a fan of Suzukis but have been impressed by the dedication and information the 'Suzuki anals' have contributed to this forum. I now own four of the buggers and that Suzuki enthisiasm may have had a subliminal influence! There are some truly impressive posters here but to get to them we often have to endure the crap. It's a bit like life really.
Unfortunately, in recent times the 'general dribble' amongst certain posters has been on the increase and quite frankly its getting damn annoying. I've spoken to a number of folks that have resigned and/or have cut back on their forum participation (and I'm one of them) and they're largely annoyed by two or three major posters and their childish behaviour. I'm not going to out them but they're readily identifiable by their poor grammar, abysmal spelling and lack of anything informative or sensible to say. Having said that those same blokes can build a good, well structured and informative post when they really try. They have no excuse for poor grammar or spelling or for posting an entire post in upper case. With spell and grammar check freely available there's no excuse for the rubbish we've had to put up with from these blokes. By contributing those poorly assembled posts they are insulting the very people they expect to read their stuff. If you can't take the time to think out what you have to say and make sure the syntax, spelling and grammar are OK don't post. Simple.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:01 am »
I agree firko , there are too many old folks with axes to grind, the same accusers are the culprits, then going on about the same stuff, post after post, after post, dropping the same names, the same bikes, how great it was in my day, and who i once knew, now know and whos in or out of the club,  the same pictures of my mates bikes for the umptenth time, its been done to death. 

Spelling and uniformity has its place when your paid to do it or if im buying a magazine, in conversation, im happy with all you bad spellers, gramically challenged and non chest beating participants, more power to you !  Its because of your posts it fill's in the colour to the otherwise black and white mundane posts that as reality would have it, you can only talk about in the past tense or the past so many ways, and how great that maico was, blah blah.

if you think about it if folks only wanted bland info we could all just post up a PDf libary of our manuals, all the info is there somewhere, but what a boring, useless forum this would be, how bout those folks just go and sit quietly in there VMX libary's and enjoy the solitude.

Dispite what the Fat controllers say - Post what you like, its what breathes fire into the forum and makes it to coin a phase the "pub" it is.

Just keep the dribble off your chin.  PS if the forum had a spell checker id use it !  maybe graham can add it in  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:56:03 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 12:54:19 pm »
Time for me  to change the PUB,  you grumpy old farths , might call in from time to time  ;D  Dont forget to turn off the lights.
Good Lord, how could an innocuous thread like this lead to this?

Put into and take from the forum what you want - it will self regulate. Forget about any self appointed 'thought police' or 'forum police', real or imagined. Gee, just grow a 'hide' and use your judgment, everyone.

PJR

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
By contributing those poorly assembled posts they are insulting the very people they expect to read their stuff. If you can't take the time to think out what you have to say and make sure the syntax, spelling and grammar are OK don't post. Simple.
This sentence says it all.
!  Its because of your posts it fill's in the colour to the otherwise black and white mundane posts that as reality would have it, you can only talk about in the past tense or the past so many ways, and how great that maico was, blah blah.
If you're refering to Firko, isn't that what his specialty is, our sports history. Even though I know the big bloke, as do most of the people in our sport, I'd rather read his takes on the past and the characters he refers to than most of the General Dribble you and others like you post. What have you contributed to our understanding of VMX on this forum Mr Freaky other than posts that nobody can follow?
Put into and take from the forum what you want - it will self regulate. Forget about any self appointed 'thought police' or 'forum police', real or imagined. Gee, just grow a 'hide' and use your judgment, everyone
Unfortunately it's not self regulating Graeme. It's easy to sit back thinking that all is OK but the defection of some of the better posters is a problem and it is mostly being caused by the lunatics taking over the asylum and it's getting worse. This very subject has been a major topic amongst racers in recent times and the main things that seem to be causing the exodus of contributors with something informative to say is the inane dribble that has crept in, mainly from a few serial posters that must be connected to the computer 24/7 and the emergence of a growing number of cyber racers. This is a common denominator with most forums but when these cyber racers criticise those who are contributing positively to our sport it drives people away. This isn't just my thoughts, it's the opinions of a large number of forum lurkers and racers that I talk to socially and at the track.

firko

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 01:49:48 pm »
I agree firko , there are too many old folks with axes to grind, the same accusers are the culprits, then going on about the same stuff, post after post, after post, dropping the same names, the same bikes, how great it was in my day, and who i once knew, now know and whos in or out of the club,  the same pictures of my mates bikes for the umptenth time, its been done to death.

So be it. I'm a boring old fart ;D.

husky61

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »
Yeh well

I spent most of the week-end with some boring old farts at the Jack Hogg Classic and have to say , just 10 minutes with my old fart mates would have been worth two months of some of the dribble i have seen on here lately. These old farts put the F in fun and the I in interesting conversation (not just bikes but a whole range of interesting subjects)

Far from boring , more like most imformative.

( PS: The old farts do not ride but they come to most of our meeting's (Vinduro's included) shoot large quantities of photo's , write stories about our meetings that get published in popular magazines but i think most importantly they provide unlimited encouragement to those having a real go .)