Author Topic: A bit of help lads  (Read 2351 times)

Tom

A bit of help lads
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »
i should be receving my L's for a motorbike within the next couple of weeks and i wanna go all out and buy a new model bike.I want a 450 thats something i intend to stick with my guns about cause were i live i wanna be able to go for a bash through the bush but also be able to cruise the highway aswell and i figured if im gunna spend my hard earned buy the bigger bike now so i dont have to later  ;D i want a reliable bike thats why im looking towards a brand newy and i want something with alot of grunt so i can have some fun aswell  :D  .The bike is planned to be my daily ride to work hence the reason i want reliability  :) any help much appreciated thanks Tom  8)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of help lads
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »
if you are doing a bit of road as well as bush
i would say the new kawasaki 450 enduro
its a new model but they have a nice engine
and yet they are not to heavy 8)
ktm 450 is the go in the bush but if you are doing a bit of road work
you will hate it big time ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:55 pm »
DRZ400....

Cheap, reliable, and capable of keeping up with 99% of riders on the wizz-bang 450s in the bush*.
Last heaps longer on the road too.

And won't devalue quite so so spectacularly, so you won't be stuck on apprentice wages with a personal loan that's double what the bike's worth...

Alternatively, if you really want to spend money, how about buying a new/almost new DRZ250 to get to work, and a newish 250 2-stroke for the bush? You get a nice reliable commuter, and an excellent bike for the bush. Yeah, it'll cost you two regos per yer, but you'll save that by not wearing out good knobbies on the road...

And because I keep forgetting to PM you: 300, not 200 (cause I can't add or subtract...) and my dad said "No worries". :)

*Twelve years back, when I was trail-riding semi-regularly, most guys had XRs, TTRs, and the more serious guys would have stuff like (2-stroke WRs). And a ten year old bike was nothing out of the ordinary.
Everyone went riding and had fun - even though most blokes were a bit lacking in talent, and only really used the throttle properly on the open fire roads.

Nowdays you've gotta have an expensive, relatively high maintence, nearly new 450, so you beat your mates on the fire roads while still being just as slow through the bush....
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:53 am »
If you're in No Shit Wales I'd think about a stinkin two stroke.

I bought myself a nice orange 250 EXC that has big bore torque with an under 250 rego cost. As much as I would like a 450 sometimes (not often) I am stuffed if I am giving that prick Rees and his insurance cronies any more money than I have too.

Top end maintenance is cheap and all you lose is some engine breaking - so what ?

I would not fall for the buy it new bullshit either mate. There are HEAPS of good low hours bikes out there the original buyer has already done the depreciation on for you to just enjoy.

Food for thought
Dave Mac  ???
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:02 am »
Hey Tom, do you have an open car licence ? When on a learners you used to have a 250 cc limit on 'P's unless you had an open car licence for a couple of years . If that is the case i would be looking at a 250 two stroke so as to have a big bore of sorts. If its legal for you to have a 450, i would tend to go the reliability route such as a WR Yamaha or DRZ as already mentioned. 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:56 am »
Nah, the civilised world have gone to the LAMS system: Max 650cc, max of 150kW/1000kgs. Don't know of any <650cc dirt bikes that aren't acceptable (even fun stuff like KTM380s).

The civilised world = every where except Qld and WA - although NSW is increasingly taking on a Mad Max vibe.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:45:44 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:51:27 am »
I tend to agree with Nathan. A DRZ400 would be a good choice and maybe look at the Yamaha WR250R as well. I spent a day on that, the DRZ250 and the Husky 250 last year. Every time we got to a bit of road, nobody wanted to ride the Husky. The WR would cruise easily at 100 on the road and was great in the bush too.
The story is in a Two Wheels mag so I can scan and email to you if you like.
For the bush, 2 strokes, CRF's etc would be the go, but if you have to ride more than a few miles to work, you'll get annoyed with them on the road.
There's few guys locally that bought CRF's etc and one by one they're going to something that handles the road a little better.
But this is all just our opinion and if you get the chance, get a ride on anything you're thinking of buying.
Good luck!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:29 am »
Hi Tom,
In the west we have to have our 250cc license for a year before getting onto a bigger cc.
We bought this KLR for $1800,and has done me for the bush and road,Then I don't race at top speed like you blokes do through the bush. ;D
Just got a shock redone on it and new fork seals,but beside that I just keep an eye on the fuel and oil. ;)
I don't believe you have to buy something new, as there are so many second hand nice bikes out there for sale.
Our son(15)road and got 1st in his class on the (below) RM last year,while ever other rider had the new bling.  :-\  Of course that doesn't stop him asking for a new RMZ 09 model everyday. :P
Best wishes on finding a good reliable roadie/bushie.
Alison

PS:Hows the welding going ??
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:38:23 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:51:19 am »
Did I say engine breaking ? OMG, lol - Try engine BRAKING !!!

As for the bush the two stroke cuts it great - even for an old guy like me, lol !!!

Just one thing - IF you are going to ride on the road,

Ride WITHIN your limits and always remember that EVERY other road user is trying to KILL you. Don't assume anything as there are SO many dumb drivers out there, many of them unlicenced  :o

Good luck

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:49:35 pm »
Just one thing - IF you are going to ride on the road, Ride WITHIN your limits and always remember that EVERY other road user is trying to KILL you. Don't assume anything as there are SO many dumb drivers out there, many of them unlicenced  :o
Yeah, what he said - and dress as if you intend to crash!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:05:30 pm »
Expect the Unexpected
Best is in the West !!

Tom

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys/girls my dad has pre warned me many of times of how many people there are trying to use me as a speed hump  :D i've looked it up and as nathan said power to weight ratio i can ride all the way up to a xr650 so im cheerin  ;D tommorrow arvo i should be going to look at a 1996 xr400 the blokes looking at really really cheap money for it and its spose to have a rebuilt engine. Problem is it has no compliance plate on the frame  :'( can i get around this if i want to register it? any help would be great thanks Tom

P.s the weldings going great im think im going to enjoy the next 4 years  8)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:32:31 pm »
Problem is it has no compliance plate on the frame  :'( can i get around this if i want to register it? any help would be great

Did it once have a complaince plate?

If its an import, then the realistic only way to get it rego'd is to buy an XR400 frame with a complaince plate, and move everything over.

If it did have a compliance plate, that's been lost (or whatever), then you might be OK - but tread carefully.

1. Look at whether the frame and/or engine numbers look dodgy. If they look dodgy, then steer well clear.
2. Do a REVS check. If you buy the bike, then pay for the certificate.
3. Find out if the bike has been rego'd in Australia before. Old rego papers, rego label and/or rego plate would be VERY helpful - but make absolutely sure that the bikes frame number matches what's on the paper work.
4. If you can't get any proof of previous rego, then ring Honda Australia, and ask whether the bike was originally fitted with one, and if they'd be willing to put something in writing saying that the particular bike was built to meet ADRs.

Compliance plates are stupid, really. Officially, the authorities make them into a huge big deal - basically "no plate = no rego, ever", but if you dig a little deeper, they're not quite as paranoid as they make out. Let's face it, they're a dinky little aluminium plate that's easily damaged/lost/whatever. So despite the hysterical talk, all they really need is to know that the bike was once fitted with a compliance plate.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:40 pm »
drz400 good heavy road bike ;D ;D
not to flash in the bush
unless you ride up and down dirt roads ;)
follow me to first turn