Author Topic: Factory bikes???  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Grunter215

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Factory bikes???
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »
Was asked what the 'OW' stands for?....buggered if i know!! So what do the factory designations mean.I think Kawasaki SR is special racer?

Doc

Re: Factory bikes???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:24:54 pm »
I'm not so sure the designation of the japanese bikes ever meant anything Kiwi other than a numerical cataloging system.
I'll probably go to Hell for this next comment but, even Suzuki's PE series for 'pure enduro' I believe this to be a fictitious name that somehow stuck with some owners of said bikes. How would you explain calling a bike an RS for example?? no-one wants a Rat Shit bike! :-\ err..which they didn't sell many in suzuki's case but the RS250 Honda of the late 70's sold by the boat load here and overseas and Hond'a factory 125 and 250 GP bikes are the RS series. I've never seen any official factory comments that offer any suggestion that the bikes model designation actually means anthing other than a designation. I know if you have an R behind a name it's a fast bike and if it has 2 R's you better look out cause it's the race model! Seems to be the way most factories think these days and funny enough the name can help sell the bike :D  I think this practise maybe standard procedure in the auto industry as I've never seen any 'official' suggestions offered up that car designations mean much either :-\
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:29:35 pm by Doc »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:33:10 pm »
RS i think is just the R from RM and S from TS or DS
 :)
somewhere i had a list of what the suzuki model letters stood for.

RM- racing machine/real motorcrosser

IT - international trials

DS - dual sport/dirt special

RH - real horsepower  :)

PE - pure enduro or production enduro

SP - soft powered/special purpose

TS -two stroke/too slow

RV - recreational vehicle
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:09:34 am by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:31 pm »
i thought pe stood for
piece of egg ;D :D
follow me to first turn

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
my dad has always said PE for perfect enduro but others say pure enduro doesnt matter a couple of letters dont mean much especially when its an awesome bike :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07:53 pm »
OW is the noise you're supposed to make when you see it - but it lost a bit in translation from Japanese to English - it's supposed to be "ohhhhh" [with optional drooling noise].

Seriously, there's usually some sort of loose pattern to how bikes are/were named, and then a bit of fudge factor from the marketing department.

Honda dirt bikes for example:
R= race
X= Cross country/dual purpose.
L= Lame
C= Cross (as in motoCross).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:25:38 pm »
Was asked what the 'OW' stands for?....buggered if i know!! So what do the factory designations mean.I think Kawasaki SR is special racer?

I was told long ago that "OW" is for "Official Works"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:40 pm »

I was told long ago that "OW" is for "Official Works"

Absolutely correct Cyclo, I have it on "Good" authority that is what it stands for

albrid-3

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:33 pm »

dont know
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:34:22 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:59:45 pm »
Husky cr- close ratio
         wr- wide ratio.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:04:07 am »
and

XC- cross country
AE- automatic enduro

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:08:08 am »
XR = eXtra Recreational  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:09:40 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:29:25 am »
The Honda's used to have RA(Race Automobile) and RC(Race Cycle) and the RS 125/250 GP is Race Series with the the added W designating Works. RR or SP(Sport Production) variations are usually pretty special.Yamaha used OW for a long time and ended(sob sob boo hoo) with the last of the YZR500 GP racers, AFAIK the only time an OW designated bike has hit the showroom is the OW01 FZR750 SP of about 89 or so.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:04:53 am »
Someone told me that the TTR Yamaha range was really only meant to be TR, but the guy who was in charge had a slight stutter. Only hearsay though....
Cheers,
K

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:03:11 pm »
...but it lost a bit in translation from Japanese to English - it's supposed to be "ohhhhh" [with optional drooling noise].
That reminds me of the story associated with the 'Starion' when it came to Australia (I'm not a car person - who made the Starion a few years back - was it Mitsubishi?)
Apparently the Japanese Factory called the Aussie Distributor to discuss a name for the new vehicle about to be launched in our wide, brown land.

To his Japanese Bosses the Aussie suggested 'Stallion' would bring to mind a strong and exciting beast.

"Ah, STARION... I rike it - very good". ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"