Author Topic: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you  (Read 62206 times)

gator

Re: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
Hey paul in that photo which one is gay i can't remember :-\

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »
dont ask me the papparazzi sent that direct from elton  private mx track, but at least he know were his bread is buttered so to speak

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 08:43:19 pm »
I’ve yet to see any sign of any global financial crisis here at GMC (just personal financial crisis ;D)
I still have orders coming in from around the country & OS & have heaps of work ahead of me.
Any TIG welders that can make it to Broadford?

I think with interest rates & fuel coming down a bit, then its business as usual so long as you have a job. (That’s sounds bad Hilly, hope it doesn't effect your 09 season)

We put our place on the market in the middle of last year, & had a few tyre kickers come through at first but it definitely went quiet once the shit hit the fan in the USA. People will find the money for the small "feel-good" things but are cautious with large debt.
Any one looking for a "tree change" lifestyle with your own personal MX track?

The whole scene went quiet for me in the middle of 03, when they started dropping bombs in Afghanistan/Iraq the phone stopped ringing. I assumed everyone was digging bunkers in their back yard & buying canned food :o
It went so quiet I was forced to go work for the "man" again but it picked up again in 04 & by late 04 I went full time at GMC again & it hasn't let up since.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 10:05:49 pm »
I tried an apprentice in 02/03 Ross, he nearly sent me broke.
It was hard to get him to understand that stainless filler rod was required on stainless jobs, not mild steel filler :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

felix7

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 03:27:01 pm »
GMC: I'm to blame. I work for a newspaper. There - I've said it. Yes, doom and gloom sell newspapers, increase radio traffic and get more bums on loungechairs at the nightly news on the teev.
And because we're exposed to it, we believe it and worse, become ingrained with it. So we - consciously or sub-consciously - go to bed at night with doom and gloom and "the world's gunna end" thinking. We have three people in our office with depression. We actually call it anxiety. It's all to do with the naysayers running things down.
If we just forgot about the US (pleeeze, can we ALL forget about the US) and got on with our lives and our families and eking out a sensible 15-VMX bike existence then we'll all be OK.
And while I'm here, what the hell did Australia do wrong as to have its currency reduced to a Pacific peso? We're economically as bad as the US? For heaven's sake. We live like kings compared with the average American (whatever colour).
Anyway, let's look on the bright side. My brother is working seven days a week at his stainless-steel fabrication shop. He hasn't got the time to get an offsider because that will take up too much of his time. I have renovations at home. I'm getting close to bribing tradesmen to get them to turn up. Car dealers may be moaning but they've just been through two record years and sales are back to pre-record years.
I know some people have been put out of work and I'm sorry about that. I'm merely saying that it's just not as bad as some ... er, me ... are saying.
Crisis? What crisis?
Smile people.......

runutz698

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 03:56:07 pm »
I asked the question the other day, why is our dollar worth less than the US dollar, when we are in a much better condition. The answer was simple all world contracts written in any country in the world are written in US dollars that is why if it goes down everything else drops with it. In other words no other currecncy in the world can be stronger. This is why there crash has effected the other parts of the world and why all eyes are on te US .  Just thought is was intresting.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:02 pm »
GMC: I'm to blame. I work for a newspaper. There - I've said it. Yes, doom and gloom sell newspapers, increase radio traffic and get more bums on loungechairs at the nightly news on the teev.
In my house, we haven't watched the news for TEN years. (we rarely even turn the TV on at all, for months at a time). I'm also guilty of not purchasing a newspaper for a long, long while. Amazing how upbeat and happy everybody is when you ignore the 'Horror Movie' and look at the real world and real people around you.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:05 pm »
The answer was simple all world contracts written in any country in the world are written in US dollars that is why if it goes down everything else drops with it.

Actually the Japanese Yen has gained about 20% against the US since this fiasco began. It has to do with cross trade in Japanese backed securities, or in layman terms it is a struggle to find a bank who not just has money to lend right now or more importantly can guarantee payment intra bank, or for that matter is a safe place to park your cash while you wait for the shit to go down.

Thats the thing about a global economy, anything happens it effects all members.

formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 08:48:19 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
And because we're exposed to it, we believe it and worse, become ingrained with it. So we - consciously or sub-consciously - go to bed at night with doom and gloom and "the world's gunna end" thinking. We have three people in our office with depression. We actually call it anxiety. It's all to do with the naysayers running things down.
If we just forgot about the US (pleeeze, can we ALL forget about the US) and got on with our lives and our families and eking out a sensible 15-VMX bike existence then we'll all be OK.
And while I'm here, what the hell did Australia do wrong as to have its currency reduced to a Pacific peso? We're economically as bad as the US? For heaven's sake. We live like kings compared with the average American (whatever colour).
Anyway, let's look on the bright side. My brother is working seven days a week at his stainless-steel fabrication shop. He hasn't got the time to get an offsider because that will take up too much of his time. I have renovations at home. I'm getting close to bribing tradesmen to get them to turn up. Car dealers may be moaning but they've just been through two record years and sales are back to pre-record years.
I know some people have been put out of work and I'm sorry about that. I'm merely saying that it's just not as bad as some ... er, me ... are saying.
Crisis? What crisis?
Smile people.......

If you think OZ has the Pacific peso then NZ must have the Pacific ruble, try buying things when you doller equals 50 cents US , good time to sell all the bikes back to them ;D
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »
Well, I got laid off last thursday - fork it!, who wants a 7 to 5 job with a 4 day weekend every second week close to home paying $120k + anyway? They (the whole world) can get forked! - but I'm not bitter!

For Fork sake  :(  Where are you ? someone maybe able to put the word out for you.  :)
chip up alison suppose to be CHIN UP  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:12:47 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2009, 04:15:53 pm »
yeah i know soemone who gave up his job of driving buses, packed up and sold and went over to WA to get a job driving big trucks in the mines. It didnt last long and there was no longer a job there for him and and now hes back here. Also heard things are not going too good in the mines up at Roxby Downs. A while back that was the place to be, now ive heard of several guys been told to go and they no longer have a job up there. Theres always plenty of work on in the motorcycle repair, painting and restoration industry, i have too much work in that area, and its not letting up and i do not see an end to it. More and more bikes coming out of the wood work. It would be nice if someone else in SA would do the work i do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:24:37 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 10:11:29 pm »
I'm in Perth WA - that's the state they thought that China was going to keep going for the next 3000 years - gee, they dropped the ball on that one!
yep the wave can only be ridden for a certain amount of time  8)
Head south,if you wish ;D
plenty of fishing,marroning,crabbing,bush walking,canoeing and VMX

http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Project_Details.asp?PID=244
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 11:40:26 pm »
oh China is still interested in getting their hands on Aussie minerals, they just cut out the middle guys....the Australians  :o
formerly Marc.com

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
Maybe Admin can start a Business/Services/ or Jobs List.  I have been out of work for 3 mths (Syd).  If nothing comes the next few days then I will have to try something new.