Author Topic: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you  (Read 62213 times)

TooFastTim

Re: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2011, 11:18:26 am »
Seems ironic to me that at a time when we must work hardest to try to stop destroying our planet, we must sell sell sell the very stuff that's doing the most damage to just keep our heads up.
To have led a resonable and simple life just doing what I needed to to get by with what I wanted from it and not get greedy with my demands of life only to now be pushed arse over by bastards that live their very lives by the opposite doctrine-I'm getting very angry about it all.

I think I once mentioned on here how I couldn't figure how people I KNEW couldn't be earning as much as me had a big house, two new cars, the boat and the annual overseas holidays. Finally the penny dropped. But they got their jollies and now I have to pay for their wanton consumerism too!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:21:30 am by TooFastTim »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:26 am »
Mark acording to real estate agents i print for in Auckland only half the houses for those looking and silly money being asked and houses on rise for first ime in 3 years.Well done with car,i cant get any dealer to move on a XR6 ute,feckers
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:49:13 am by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2011, 12:51:22 pm »
Mark acording to real estate agents i print for in Auckland only half the houses for those looking and silly money being asked and houses on rise for first ime in 3 years.Well done with car,i cant get any dealer to move on a XR6 ute,feckers

Hey Bazza, yep things are moving along at the bottom end of the market as certainly the rent covers the mortgage...... as I mentioned before not sure it is shortage of houses but shortage of affordable ones. I will try to avoid silly money, I can circle the carcass for the person who has to sell to come up and there are a few of those at the moment.
formerly Marc.com

oldfart

« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »
He tells me a fable to underline his point. ‘Here’s a story. There’s a big white hunter and he goes deep into the forest with his laser guns and GPS and rifles. He gets a local to help him, a naked pygmy with a blowpipe.
‘A day into the hunt they’re miles from the village, everything stops working, and the white guy is flipping out. He looks at the pygmy and says “we’re lost”. And the pygmy just falls down laughing and says, “you mean the village is lost. We’re not lost, we’re here”.
‘The point being that the pygmy has got everything he needs to

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060593/Could-man-save-Britain-s-economy-After-building-personal-fortune--100m-rocks-scariest-star-Gene-Simmons-just-invited-lecture-economists.html#ixzz1dShB2eNk

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:54 pm »
Interesting what he says.... I think one of the key issues is the concept of 'working your way up' is lost and replaced by effort being channeled into having what you want right now. So you have apprentices with brand new cars and 500K homes, I mean WTF you have the your whole life to pay it off.
formerly Marc.com

Curly3

« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2011, 04:31:04 pm »
500K homes, Macmansions I think they're called.
No one is prepared to achieve things by one step at a time.
This is the age of instant gratification and as a baby boomer, it pisses me off.
Mention an apprenticeship to a young'n these day's and how little you'll earn as a 1st year and they'll laugh at you.
Personally I try not to sweat too much about things but if I analyze where our society is at, I shit myself.

TooFastTim

« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »
So you have apprentices with brand new cars and 500K homes

Nah, who wants to be a trademan? Now you have management graduates with brand new cars and 500K homes.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2011, 06:25:29 pm »
Trades are popular. Good money in most trades now days (mechanics being the most notable exception).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
Yea, your spot on there Nathan, always had me stuffed why mechanics get shit money, bike mechanics get even less, and its probably the most costly job to have with all the tools you have to buy.....when you look at what sparky's and plumbers get and the minimun amount of tools you need.....a screwdriver, pair of pliers and a voltmeter and the other with a saw for cutting plastic pipe and the glue to stick it together. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

oldfart

« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
And of  both them are licenced trades, and getting harder to obtain each year.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:10:31 am by oldfart »

TooFastTim

« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »
Trades are popular. Good money in most trades now days (mechanics being the most notable exception).

Yeah? The wheel has or is turning then.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »
Yeah? The wheel has or is turning then.

I don't get that.

Everyone I know with a trade that relates to the housing industry, is earning comfortably above the national average wage - even post GFC.
Most industrial trades are highly valued by the mining industry, so qualified tradies can earn mega-bucks working in the mines. Or they can stay in civilisation and still earn decent money because the mines jobs have forced all employers to compete for competent staff.

Which pretty much leaves only the motor mechanics as pretty much the last of the under-valued tradies. But with workshops charging $130/hour, there's more and more opportunity for employers to actually pay good mechanics a decent wage.

Around the time I left school (1993) there was all this talk of trades dying off, largely because it was early days of the IT industry.
It was bullsh, though.
Any apprenticeships that were advertised had dozens of applicants - plenty of reasonably bright/suitable kids were rejected for dozens of apprenticeships.

Fast-foward nearly twenty years, and the story is still basically the same. My work puts on 3 or 4 apprentices every year (mostly heavy vehicle mechanics), and has to choose from 50+ applicants.
All of the tradies at my work are paid above the national average wage (before OT). Occasionally the bosses have whinge that they're "paid too much", but the simple reality is that very few of the younger guys stick around for long after becoming tradies - they chase the big money out west instead.
The few similar employers that pay just the award wages, are burdened with high staff turn-over, and/or less than ideal staff.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TooFastTim

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2011, 09:57:24 pm »
Nathan, there has been a huge move away from  the trades and engineering (discussed in another thread) in the west. School leavers have wanted to (as you say) drive a computer or more recently be a manager in the belief that the engineering stuff could be outsourced to India or China. The UK now sits with a surplus of "managers" and buggerall trades people.

Don't get me started on management graduates...As Marc has said management degrees are a great addition to an engineering degree (my opinion here) bloody useless without that engineering degree.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »
But is/was there an actual move away from Trades?
I reckon that they're more valued/higher paid and consequently more popular than they were 20 years ago.
Maybe there's less trade positions available, but its happened slowly enough that we're not over-supplied with tradies - the price we pay for any sort of trade qualified labour shows that!