Author Topic: Vintage riding gear  (Read 5193 times)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
Vintage riding gear
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:33 am »
After reading Firko's discourse with Karl Landrus in a Maico thread , his comment on period riding apparrel got me thinking! I hate wearing those modern technicolour harlequin suits also, so where do you get " normal " looking or "period" riding gear ? Can you you still buy the old Stagg leathers ?( I bought my first set from Elle Knowles when I was an apprentice in Sydney in the mid seventies !)I still have a pair of Belstaff waxed cotton pants ,but no hope of getting them around my gut any more !!!!!.............so, who sells the old style stuff ???

Roger 

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage riding gear
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:43:20 am »
......been thinking again( must be the day for it!!) Question............what did you wear in the day ????

used to be Bell motostar,red/yellow Stagg leathers,Barrifuldi's,blue and white Husky jersey or team John Scott jersey,but cant remember what the boots were,could have been Vendramini's..........damn! must be getting too old !!!

Roger

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:46:02 am »
Roger, I have the same problem as you do with modern multi coloured riding gear. However being a the type of person who won't thow away anything remotely usefull, I still have a lot of my old riding gear, and all though my leathers no longer fit (they must have shrunk) I still wear my old Alpine Star DeCoster boots, and Jim Davis shin/knee protectors when I ride in road trials. The rest of my outfit for road trials is a pair of black ONeil pants, a black dry rider jacket (my Belstaf has shrunk as well) and an open face helmet.

I also have my pair of Scott boots that I imported from the US before they became avaliable here in Aus, and a pair of battered Vendramini boots.

CJ
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:47:46 am by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:32:44 am »
Some pictures of my fashion sense throght the decades.

1977/78

Waden Miller leather pants, Rossi Boots, Jim Davis shin/knee guards, Bell helmet, Yamaha riding jersey of unkown brand.

Waden Miller leather pants (bottom 1/2 of a 2 piece speedway suit), Apline Star boots, Tycon jersey (custon design/ made for me), Arai/HA helmet, Malcom Smith chest/shoulder protector.

Dririder jacket, Oneil pants, Apline Star DeCoster boots, KBG hemet and those same long suffering Jim Davis shin/knee guards.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:11 am »
you should ride that Husky framed SR500 in trials!

you can get old style gear from metro racing in USA. i will only ever buy NOS or new stuff as i dont like the idea of buying someones old smelly gear and even if you buy used stuff there is almost always one little rip or hole somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:10:02 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:58:16 am »
Attached is an image of my racing boots from 1977 when I raced an RM125A at Tivoli.
They still fit.....
They were made in Australia.
I have misplaced my pants but I already know that they would have shrunk. My original Suzuki jersey still fits but is a little tight. My old half face Bell helmet is in my brothers shed. The foam has long since turned to dust.

I must say I have really fond memories of wearing my 1970ies gear but now my bones are a lot older I think I will stick to my Sidi crossfire boots and Fox V3 full face helmet, you know because the wife makes me.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:21:12 pm »
the other day i was looking for something and i found the deposit receipt for my leathers which i had tailor made in about 1963, the full price was about 45 pounds ,i am still using them because i was cunning enough to get measured in mid winter when i was 13 stone! they need some repairs! now that i'm 12 stone they fit even though the're tight around the gut [but loose around other parts] i like the old 50s-60s black leathers -dont like the colours!.... up to the 60s a lot of blokes wore brown leather trousers and a brown leather jacket with the obligitary bare skin in between! by the way my mechanic rate of pay then was about 23 pounds per week! as i only rode short circuit [dirt] and scrambles the preferred footwear was second hand firemans boots which were sold at a disposal store at fairfield,the soles of which lasted about one or two meetings! cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:26:57 pm »
my mate with the 2 yzs under his house had since new 1980/81 still has and wears his racing mate full motcross gear.still fits like it did in 1981.he works to hard to eat as he has 5 kids.
cheers
jim

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:36:24 pm »
I remember when I bought my gear in Sydney...........everything cost $75 each......motostar $75.........Stagg's $75...........boots $75................if only they still................

Roger

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:03 pm »
1974 Wallen VIC

2008 CD5 Raymond Terrace NSW

Most of the same riding gear,I did have to pre stretch the leathers over a 9kg gas bottle for a couple of weeks though,  :-[
Not a lota room for the aggots  ;D

Ji Gantor

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »
Hi KB171,
How do you attach the images like that?

Ji

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:57:18 pm »
Tips for using the forum is your best bet ,I stuff up evertime i try doing this, I'td be the blind leading the blind :-[

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
I more prefer the original look than the new.  I have bought the Metro nylons and various jerseys (too many says the wife) but stick with modern armour, helmet, gloves etc.  I did get my helmet professionally painted to match Team Honda for that added feel but now race my Yamaha so use a helmet cover until I get a new one as I am near due!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 12:04:21 am »
Just looked at  1pants,1 shirt and 2 stickers from Metro Racing cost of $71 for postage only  :(
inflation  :(
Best is in the West !!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:56 pm »
 ;)  I spied 2 fashionable Kevlars at classic dirt riding in English period shirts, sponsored by the Kevlars mermaid Bar
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina