Author Topic: More Aussie ingenuity  (Read 3086 times)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
More Aussie ingenuity
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
Just picked up a PE175 and someone had made their own kickstart andv modified the rear cable brake to a rod

Roger

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
Re: More Aussie ingenuity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:57:16 pm »
Powerjet carby!
Is that standard?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:15:52 pm »
The bloke I got it off thought it was an IT carb,have'nt really looked at it myself yet.

Roger

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:00 pm »
Looks like a IT175G carby. 32mm Powerjet Mikuni round slide.
Just make sure that the needle jet is big enough for the PE175.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:08 pm »
It's a 175C - they came with a 32 Mikuni.
But I keep thinking it's not original. Can't put my finger on why though.
Wait.. that's it.. the casting at the top rear of the carb, going to the rubber airbox boot is wrong. Should have the unused slot thingy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:46:18 pm by lukeb1961 »

Doc

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35:27 pm »
I actually ran a modified brake rod retup on my RM400 with the DR500 rear wheel for many many moons. Mind you mine looked a little less agricultural to that and the trick is run rod inside/under the arm and utilize the floating hub to avaid the pedal rising and falling in tandem to the suspension. Ended up with an adjustable tie rod type end to get the stay exact length and it worked perfectly :-*

for this little idea below Fred the Farmer took his hub to his mate at All Things Alloy Welding ::)

the wheel was still caked with meadow cakes so I thought I best clean it up before fondling it too much, popped off the circlip to remove the sprocket and carrier but the buggers really stuck there good, bet Fred never had it off from new and it's somehow fused itself to the hub from the cowpat acids ::) BZZZT! wrong answer! Fred really beat me this time and when I finally saw the weld it all made perfectly good sense. With tongue in cheek I'd only mentioned this extreme remedy for someones Mighty Mighty TS400 but low and behold now the real joke turns up in my lap :D guess what ??? I'm going to use it ;D least until a stud strips or shears or snaps or gets ripped off as there is no way to replace them without major boring of holes..many big holes! ::) The studs are there too but they're just hiding ::)

and then as if that wasn't enough, we'll weld this on too just for good measure! I saw it move before so we don't want it falling off! ever!!

bloody hell!  ::) this is what all those people buying big buck resto's miss out on..I love it!!  :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:44:23 pm by Doc »

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:57:29 pm »
the things people do to bikes  :D
MUGEN power

Doc

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »
thankfully most things can be reversed but sometimes like with the hub for example it would require more effort than what it's worth and god knows what I might find behind it anyway! Best to leave sleeping dogs so I'll use it and never have to worry about my cushdrive rubbers again. Fortunately it's welded on nice and true :D

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:01:25 am »
Unfortunately welded brake,gear and kick levers comes under BUTCHERY not ingenuity,and in my business (dealing with our agricultural elite.........cockies)welding everything up is their first response.

Roger

Doc

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 07:51:02 am »
Butchery or sometime last resort Roger, Ol' Farmer Fred has to keep things moving or loose time and money, the nearest town is 50-150klm's away and the local servo owner Cyril from Shell hasn't worked on a bike since his ol' rigid frame Beeza days to which he'd fitted a Lister diesel with hydrostatic drive ::) To order the part from zuki may take days, weeks, months and a permanant fix is needed now and on the spot. Although sometimes it is butchery, when Fred the farmer stands to loose more than a new bike is worth (tax free of course) welding things like sprokets/levers/pivots/shafts/brackets and anything else starts to show a little logic. Weld it now and repair it properly later when the parts arrive (which never happens as it's friggin' welded so why bother cutting it off!) Not the case for all butcherism and while I make fun at some of Fred's fixes I'm not demeaning farmers in anyway..they do what they must do and use what they have regardless of how butcherous it seems to the general populous. It's when these dang city folks do that I start burring up :D except for the lack of forsight in the stud replacement scenario or simply a tapping of threads in the stud holes to accept bolts would have made the hub transition pretty reasonable. I hate those cushdrives on the TM's and TS's and 9 times out of 10 replace the hub with the solid mount type. Maybe I'm butcherous but the hub welding to me isn't such a bad thing and although lacking a little foresight and very surprising I wouldn't quite go so far as to call it butcherous. The brake hub yes..it appears there was nothing at all wrong with it!!  >:( ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:58:03 am by Doc »

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
All was good till I came across this  :o Rm 400 clutch drive welded to crank
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:29:05 pm by oldfart »

Doc

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:13 pm »
 :D what RM400 is that in Stew?? classic stuff, I'd reckon that tops all mine. Be it ingenuity or utter bastardization it's all about desparation and anxiety. People who simply want to ride their motorbike no matter what! :D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »
power jet carby most likely is an aftermarket add on kit, or as suggested a yamaha carby. Mikuni sell kits to fit power jet system to rounDslide and flatslide carbies, so the stock PE carb may have been fitted with this kit.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 06:19:28 pm »
Found this little gem last week and thought it would be just what THE DOCTOR  ordered ( slip it in one of me Rm 250 T frames )  now come to a screaming halt  ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:49 pm »
I heard a good one today about a Maico 250 i sold. He pulled the head off to find some genius took to it with an angle grinder in the combustion area totally destroying the head. Why was this done??? Well because the piston that was off a different bike was used but was too tall and would have hit the head. Brilliant!  :-\