Author Topic: Spanish/Montesa brains trust.  (Read 3892 times)

mx250

Spanish/Montesa brains trust.
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:34:28 pm »
I'm going to swap over the VA's internals to the VB cases. I've got access to a press, how do you best get the bearings out? Is heat required?

I've got the VB's cases apart with the ign side crank pulling out of the ign side mains leaving the ign side main in the cases and the rest of the crank still attached to the cases at the primary side mains. Should I use heat or give it over to an experienced Spanish mechanic.

mx250

Re: Spanish/Montesa brains trust.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:35:50 pm »
http://www.southwestmontesa.com/montesa/frmst1.htm

"Then heat the crankcase half on a hotplate until the bearings fall out".  8)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:40:20 pm »
get a small blow torch like a burnzamatic or primus and gently heat around the bearing housing quickly (but not the bearing) and then pick up the housing and quickly give the housing a sharp tap on a block of wood on the bench (bearing side facing downwards) and the bearing will fall out. aluminum expands a lot quicker than steel so you need to apply the heat fast before it penetrates the bearing.

works for me every time !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:11:25 pm »
get a small blow torch like a burnzamatic or primus and gently heat around the bearing housing quickly (but not the bearing) and then pick up the housing and quickly give the housing a sharp tap on a block of wood on the bench (bearing side facing downwards) and the bearing will fall out. aluminum expands a lot quicker than steel so you need to apply the heat fast before it penetrates the bearing.

works for me every time !

Read the manual !!!!!!!! page 39 section 3. DO NOT use a torch for heating the crankcase halves
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »
Read the manual !!!!!!!! page 39 section 3. DO NOT use a torch for heating the crankcase halves

does it realy say that Cyclegod? i would have thought a small amount fof heat would not distort case, well the press would be the go then.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:53:55 pm »
From watching my brother in action, flame + magnesium cases = pile of magnesium oxide where case once was
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:29:31 pm »
Oh, didn't know they were magnesium cases !
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:57:31 pm »
Centre cases are aluminum!  A hot plate is the best, but a propane torch is ok.  Never drive them out!
Heat the cases to remove the bearings and heat the cases to install them.  Put the bearings in the freezer over night
to shrink a bit.  You don't want to remove any aluminum when removing or replacing.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:03:42 pm »
Worked like a charm; hotplate for about 10mins, dropped it on the carpet from about 200mm and all bearings popped out  ;D.

Starting to love working on these Monties  ;D.

The manual does say "no special tools required" (except 3 prong puller on f/sprocket  :o ::) >:(, and reverse thread nuts on ign side  ::) ;) ;D).

Thanks for the help guys  8) :-* 8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:05:32 pm by mx250 »

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 02:10:07 pm »
        I'm always replacing crank bearings in bikes for different people and I've found the best thing is one of those hot air paint stripper guns,like an extra hot hair dryer.The one I use is just a cheap RYOBI one and its had a floggin' for years in the workshop.
    Keep the heat moving around the case until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the heated area.The best thing is there is no naked flameand its also handy for heating and removing old tank stickers..........again,no flame!

Roger