Author Topic: 2009 Dakar Rally  (Read 1696 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
2009 Dakar Rally
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »
Dakar rally starts on this Sunday on SBS at about 6pm ( check your local TV guides)

hope its not cancelled this year

http://www.dakar.com/indexus.html

Dakar Rally
SBS  Sport
One of the toughest races in the world, the Dakar Rally has moved from its home in Africa to a new continent for its 2009 edition. South America will play host to more than 550 adventurers from all corners of the world as cars, trucks, motorbikes and quads race through 6000 kilometres of merciless terrain. Beginning in Buenos Aires both amateur and professional drivers will navigate the spectacular, and often brutal, countryside of Argentina and Chile during the 15-stage on-road and off-road endurance event. In the ultimate test of stamina and strength, the participants will find themselves experiencing South America at its most diverse. From crossing the Andes and negotiating their way through the Atacama Desert, the Dakar offers nature at its stunning best and often most punishing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:45:02 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Dakar Rally
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »
Just finished watching SBS, with the organizers marking out the track.Beautiful country.  :)
No mucking around when you have a brand new 4WD's and state of the art GPS/computors to help you on your way ;D
Looks like its going to be a bonza event  8)
213 bikes have entered.  :P
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »
The "Free Che Guavarra" faction have threatened to bomb the competitors with surplus cocaine and the race has been cancelled, the organisers citing "doping concerns".  ;)

Seriously, that the rally is in South America has taken the shine off it for me. Shame about it is that the villages through which the rally passed did handsomely from it.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:35:38 am »
Seriously, that the rally is in South America has taken the shine off it for me.
Why's that?

TooFastTim

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:09:09 am »
I'm an ex-African, present Kiwi and (possible, hold thumbs) soon-to-be Aussie. As as ex African I find the trip through Africa (albeit Northern Africa) has a certain romance about it.

Typical bloody Africans though, bite the hand that feeds them.

firko

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:48 am »
I'm currently reading Charley Boormans 'Race to Dakar' book. I realise that some folks think he's a priviledged tosser who bought his way into the race because of his media connections...I know I did,  but the book has made me realise that he's a seriously dedicated rider (albeit with some cool and influential friends who trained super hard for a year with Aussie Simon Pavey to live his dream. How many of us wouldn't do the same thing if given the opportunity? The books's well written and gives a good insight into how incredibly tough the event is. The death of Andy Caldecott is handled with taste and sadness, as all three team riders describe coming accross the wreck of the Repsol KTM and seeing the medics looking forlornly at the fallen rider. It's a very moving part of the book. It's also a nice touch that the book is dedicated to Andy........All in all, a great read for the hols. 8)

I agree with Tim that the event loses some of its uniqueness by not being in Africa but the current South American alternative is far better than last years no race at all. I missed last nights first episode but will be watching with interest and will make my mind up on whether the move is a good one after it's all over.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:32:40 am »
the villages through which the rally passed did handsomely from it

Really? One of the common criticisms I've read is that the only thing most African villages got from the rally was dust, with the occasional killed livestock and even killed villager! Apparently the self-contained nature of the Rally circus means that it has little use for anything that the villages can offer.

I'm not saying that's a fact, just what I've read.

A French singer even released a song a few years back, the title translates roughly as "500 Arseholes on the Start Line" or something like that. So, maybe there is/was some disenchantment with the rally in other circles as well.

Like Firko said, a Sth American version is better than none at all. So far I'm finding the coverage just as exciting as previous years, but regardless of whether I give it the thumbs up or not, I daresay that it won't be going back to Africa any time soon.

Tex

TooFastTim

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:03:45 pm »
The rallye wasn't as self contained as you were led to believe. The organisers purchased stock, breads, cereals (wheat, cous cous etc, not cornflakes  :P) and dairy products from the villages along the route. This I heard from Alfie Cox. So the villages did quite well from it. Yeah, there were tragedies but not as many as one round of the WRC could cull in Portugal.

Certainly many were disenchanted with the race. Condemnation reached fever pitch when Mark Thatcher got lost (they should have left the pompous little prick where he was). But these criticisms come from the same people would have us eat and wear bark.

I agree South America is better than none but I would have thought Aus would be better. Just imagine three Aus Safaris rolled into one.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:16:21 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »
dust,dust and more dust on tonight report .   
Large numbers of spectators,giving courage and hope  8)
Best is in the West !!