Author Topic: United States Vintage MX GP March 2-3 2009 No Memberships required!!  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
http://www.FLVMX.com is glad to announce the first United States Vintage GP will be held march 2-3 2009 Lake City fl, monday and tuesday following the AHRMA off road national at Gainsville Fl, no memberships required and a class structure to make sure all have a place to race. The featured class will be Vintage International, entrants must be 50 years old and may ride period specials, works bike as well as any period correct bike up to 1974, 7" fork and 4" rear axle travel . Unlike some "other" racing organizations we encourage "period correct specials" some examples are home grown water cooling, center port CZ's, dual carbs, Tillotson/Walbro carbs, other period specials such as Sanderson's Cycles 167 lb disc braked CZ's, C+J, Boyd and Stellings, Champion, Kramer, we know what we are looking at though so no monkey business OK. At the moment we are planning 15 or 20 min motos for the international class, this class will run last in the race order.

Classic and Premier classes will be offered, total number of entries will determine race class placement. Sidepipe CZ, square barrel Maico, 5 speed Stiletto and Cappra allowed and encouraged , kitted DT1 (no YZ or RT MX/DT MX), Kawasaki F81m will all be included as they will provide a good mix for fun.

Evolution/ PV classes will also be run, once again we want you to have a great time so we also allow "specials" of this period as well, (Joe Vanella type) 78/79/80 Honda CR250 powered by 450-480 is an example. Back dating will also be allowed with in reason such as Maico Alpha converted to twin shocks.
We will include a Modern support class however it will be a "modern all" no skill levels, if you want try out that new bike before spring breaks back home this would be a good place to do it.

If you have any questions about where you bike will fit please check http://www.flvmx.com or contact Woody 407-416-2021 or myself through a PM here.

The entire class structure will be a condensed version of the standard http://www.FLVMX.com class line up, final itinerary will be posted soon.

Come and join the fun, Days Inn motel and Huddle House are within walking distance.

http://www.lakecitymx.com/index.html
http://

firko

Re: United States Vintage MX GP March 2-3 2009 No Memberships required!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:08:53 pm »
Sanderson's Cycles 167 lb disc braked CZ's, C+J, Boyd and Stellings, Champion, Kramer, we
To the dropkick that told me my Boyd and Stellings isn't legal for pre 75....At least I can race it in Florida!...Of course it's legal. ::)

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12:56 am »
 Firko, I have 2 Bighorn powered Boyd and Stellings, the running one is unrestored and was Walter Boyd's personal bike, I picked it up in 1999 from his shop in Colton California. The second I picked up in a trade on the same trip at the Tulare AHRMA national, it is a waiting project at the moment but all there.
 Your Boyd and Stellings is in very good condition, put a TM motor in it with an internal rotor points ignition, that will smooth out the power. Just wait until you ride it, they are great bikes.
 If you need documentation to prove it legal I have some magazine accounts of them from 71 or 72, from what Walter Boyd told me they were building swingarms in 1969 and both frames and swingarms from 1970 on until American Motocross Products (AMP) bought them out 1974. What happened was Larry Stellings wanted out and wanted Walter to buy him out, Walt couldn't swing it ($$) in time and had to go along with the sale to AMP.

Any chance you'll be coming to Daytona bikeweek 2009??

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:51 am »
Thanks for the info Pete. I've been trying to find out as much background on Boyd and Stellings and hitting walls. You've doubled my knowledge in one strike of the keyboard! I presume you've done a search on this forum and found the photos of my Suzuki Boyd and Stellings or do you know somebody I know? My bike is indeed in good nick, even the tyres were new. I've changed the plastic from the inapropriate Acerbis stuff to Honda CR250 M replica fenders and YZ400D side panels in translucent white (DC Plastic) which are far more in fitting with the bikes style and era. I've also replaced the slightly wrong looking TM125 replica plastic tank with a bigger TM250 platic replica tank that fills the gaps much better. I'm also replacing the Elsinore rear shocks with YSS items. The engine is getting a rebuild by a local Suzuki guru, Jens Olsen which will include some subtle port work and some as yet undisclosed ignition mods. You've also helped me with a problem I was having with my Maico 350 square barrel. The bike is raced in our pre '70 class and has a Boyd and Stellings alloy swingarm. I've been told by a couple of folks that it's not kosher but if they started making swingarms in 1969, the bike's out of the shit legally. ;D. Can you post a photo of your Boyd and Stelling Bighorns? I'm a big fan of aftermarket framed bikes and have two Hindalls, a Cheney Yamaha 360 and a Metisse, all under various levels of construction.

As far as my going to Daytona? It's doubtful as I'm considering going to Mid Ohio and the Isle of Man the following year and my money isn't stretching so far any more since the shit hit the fan! I've been to Daytona twice in the past and now that I'm a few years older, I doubt my liver could handle it again! I have hazy memories of some hard core action a few nights in a row at the Boothill Saloon back in the nineties  :D

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:08 am »
  ;D Firko!..........You have made my day, for sure I'll post a photo ;), and to go one better Walter Boyd is a friend so I'll PM to you his number and you are in for a treat. Walter is one of the most interesting people I have ever met, he has been involved in a bunch of really neat racing endevours but is so grounded it is a bit of a surprise how reserved he can be.   

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:21:29 am »
  ..........Walter Boyd is a friend so I'll PM to you his number and you are in for a treat.

Sounds like you just got a late Xmas pressie there Firko !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
Yeah...Isn't that great Hoony? I got the PM from Peter with the contact details for Walt Boyd. I was going to write a story on my own B&S but think I may extend the piece into an overall history of Boyd and Stellings as a company, similar to Smithys great Van Tech history in the current VMX. I truly believe the story behind these little known manufacturers needs to be recorded or before long the history will be lost to time. The more one digs into the story behind these aftermarket bikes that were an important part of our sports , the more that history comes alive.

For a number of years Alan Jones and I have been tracing the history of his ex Scaysbrook Cheney Matchless and what we thought would be a minor bit of history, mainly for Alans own interest and a bit of fun has turned into a yarn worthy of its own book!
I'm looking forward to talking to Walt and discovering the story behind his vision. I'm also slowly trying to put together a history of George Hindall and his beautiful frames. I'm not having a lot of luck uncovering much information as I believe George was a bit of a recluse who pretty much kept to himself. If anybody can lead me to something, anything on Hindalls I'll be stoked to the point of buying you a beer or two when we get together!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:33:46 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:35 pm »
. I was going to write a story on my own B&S but think I may extend the piece into an overall history of Boyd and Stellings as a company, similar to Smithys great Van Tech history in the current VMX. I truly believe the story behind these little known manufacturers needs to be recorded or before long the history will be lost to time. The more one digs into the story behind these aftermarket bikes that were an important part of our sports , the more that history comes alive.

Here Here Firko,I also am doing the history of Western Australian Sidecars now, so it can be passed onto all to be future records/history of classic bikes.  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:44:36 pm »
 Firko, when you talk to Walter Boyd he may be able to tell you about Hindall (he knows a whole bunch about a lot of people), by the way I think Hindall's first name may be Harry (unless it was a nickname).   

firko

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:07:05 pm »
Ooops....I knew it was Harry....I don't know where I got George from. Too much Christmas I suppose!
I'm going away for a few days on New Years day so I'll call him after I get back. That'll give me time to formulate a set of questions. Is he on the internet at all Pete? Maybe I can send him some questions and then we can talk it through when I hook up with him on the 'phone........Happy NewYear.....Mark.

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:22:09 am »
 Good question Mark, I'll give him a call (I need to do it more often) and let you know his schedule, Walter is always on the go!

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 03:49:21 am »