Author Topic: Race number backgrounds.  (Read 4507 times)

mx250

Race number backgrounds.
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:56:27 pm »
Hmmm, I was looking into doing the oval raceplates. Thinking of painting or cut out contact. Went to a paint shop looking for yellow contact - very limited range, no yellow, and rather thin.

Thinking of painting but then would probably have to cover with clear contact because of wear from legs or cables etc. And the prob of getting even shape and clean edge. Hmmmm.

Has anyone used a laser cutting signwriting service? Any advice? Here in Sydney, Oz or the internet?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Race number backgrounds.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:00:18 pm »
I've bought these before and they are slightly thicker than ususal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yellow-Oval-Vinyl-Number-Plate-Backgrounds-AHRMA-MX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ002QQitemZ120349462644

DC plastics also do pre-cut oval backgrounds but have none listed at the moment
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:36 pm »
The old Nylex "Contact" is no longer available, about 3 year ago i got some stuff like it called "Duofix" it was called, made in Germany and i got it from Mitre 10, much better than contact.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:25:31 pm »
MX - I just received a complete set of backgrounds and numbers (ie one decal) from big boss graphics - here in Oz - or were you just after backgrounds alone?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:27:56 pm »
Any bike shop will be able to supply thick contact sheets in most of the colors required including clear. Common brands are One Industries or Factory Effex. Usually 3 sheets per packet, priced $30-$40. Or they will be able to organise pre-printed with your race number, name & sponsor logo's if you wish, from between $90.00 to $120. You just have to measure the height & width of the oval and pick your numbers & colors. We do it all the time through the shop, and usually use Decal Works. About 10 days wait ex USA.
Cheers,
K

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:31:28 pm »
pre-printed numbers and backgounds - www.bigbossgraphics - here in Oz - send you a design to sign off on and then away you go.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:32:39 pm »
www.bigbossgraphics.com

Maybe too much Chrissy cheer already!!!!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

mx250

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:52:24 pm »
www.bigbossgraphics.com

Maybe too much Chrissy cheer already!!!!

Rossco
Thanks Rossco, they look like they might be able to help me out. Have you used them?

Thanks God also, ;D, Vintage Iron might be good alternative. May the cheapest man win  ::) 8).

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:17 pm »
Gert hold of:

FTD
 MX sticker kits/numbers kits /decals
custom design and fitting
[email protected]
04102 031 563

I just mail him my plastics etc, email him a pic of a bike or a pic of a decal whatever, and hey presto they come back exactly how you I them,..Perfect everytime!!!, all made right here in OZ!!

This bike was done overnight copied from a photo on the internet of Josh Coppins bike

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:12:41 pm by E74 »

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 07:28:39 pm »
MX - I have a set here that graphics wise look the goods - only thing I have to do is a little trimming of the outside edge (bit fussy thats all).  They are the heavy duty MX contact they are selling to the "current" boys.  Lisa I think it is will also sell to us at the 85cc rate as our backgrounds are fairly easy to do.  I just gave her the background size, number and font and away she went.  Actually had a font I have been chasing for a while which was going to cost extra out of the States on top of the background price - so I am happy.

catch ya

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

mainline

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 11:40:55 am »
Go to a graphic design supply shop, ring your local sign writer to find one if you can't dig one up. You'll get great quality vinyl, that's nice and flexible, and super cheap. You can buy it off the roll in any length or colour. They might even have scraps they can give away.

I tried the generic MCS sheets and they were way too brittle and impossible to form around a sideplate with multiple curves.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 09:29:38 am »

BigBossGraphics

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:22:56 am »
Hi I own the company Ross is talking about, (big boss graphics) i am a young woman (well 29) who has 3 child motocross riders aged 12,8,4 - we started making motocross graphics because we were not happy with the quality and service provided by current suppliers. We were having the graphics shipped in for all our bikes by american suppliers because the cost was so much cheaper so decided to set up the business.
Ross contacted us a while ago asking if we could do him some graphics, he sent us some fonts and the dimensions of his plates we sent him a few proofs untill he was happy - and we made them for him and shipped them recorded delivery. He was working abroad at the time so i hope he liked the finished product when he got home.

Our service is second to none we treat every customer with the greatest respect and respond to questions asap regardless of order size.

Our product is the best on the market it withstands the most brutal of crashes ( my daughter is 8 and won 7-10 at Reedy 65cc AU Titles she crashes ALOT )

Thanks to Col for the plug

We will give any member of this site 10% discount if they quote the membership name when ordering

Thanks

Lisa

BigBossGraphics.Com 

BigBossGraphics

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 12:25:24 am »
By the way mod what's the rulez - i may need to bump this thread i got a kid that needs braces  ;D Lisa

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 07:36:53 am »
Thanks for the info Lisa. I might need to take advantage of your offer myself!

Rules? Not many, we seem to get along OK without too much of that sort of thing. Feel free to bump - a bit. If there's any complaints I'll let you know.

And 29... is young. So is 49. I think.