Author Topic: 120 Hondas on eBay  (Read 6085 times)

Tony T

Re: 120 Hondas on eBay
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:14:58 pm »
When Rick Sieman was writing for Old Bike Journal, there was a story about Route 66 Motorcycles and how they had a number of trucks on the road full time, just calling into farms houses asking if they had any old bikes laying around.
That must mean they had a pretty good success rate I reckon..............
At the time they also had 6 "as good as new" Z900's for sale..............

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
120 bikes in total and passed in at $ 40,101-00 usd    =   $334-18 each

Whats it worth then  ????

As a collection, who knows?
Dumb way of trying to selling that many bikes.... At (an average of) $335 each, you'd get rid of the lot in a couple of days, no worries - put 'em up one at a time for US$600 on Ebay, and they'd all disappear for sure - maybe there's some roughies that would go for less, but you see my point.

On the other hand, expecting anyone to cough up US$45k (or more!) in one hit is highly optimistic. At $350 each, its clearly a bargain, but its still a f$%kload of money and very, very few people would have the space to put 120 bikes...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:31 pm »
why let people know you have that many they are going to bargin you right down but if you just add one every week you would have a much better chance of selling someone might see one exactly like they had as a kid a bid crazy it was hard to see what was actually there maybe he was trying to save money on listing he needed to wheel them out one at a time take a few pics and make an add it might take years to sell them all but you would be much more successful. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:31 pm »
When Rick Sieman was writing for Old Bike Journal, there was a story about Route 66 Motorcycles and how they had a number of trucks on the road full time, just calling into farms houses asking if they had any old bikes laying around.
That must mean they had a pretty good success rate I reckon..............
At the time they also had 6 "as good as new" Z900's for sale..............
Tony they where probably picking up all these 120 Honda's   ;)

why let people know you have that many they are going to bargin you right down but if you just add one every week you would have a much better chance of selling someone might see one exactly like they had as a kid a bid crazy it was hard to see what was actually there maybe he was trying to save money on listing he needed to wheel them out one at a time take a few pics and make an add it might take years to sell them all but you would be much more successful. :)
Could be any number of reasons why one sells bikes,like this large lot.....family issues ,death,estate problems.Working in the Aged care sector I see/hear some very sad stories.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:32:55 am »
MX250 yes the sheds are in NSW, my friend is planning a trip back to the farm soon so I might just go along as well to check it out. ;)
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Offline Peter Villacaro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:29 am »
 I know the guy selling them, he has had a salvage business for some time in Jacksonville Florida, he is selling out because his land is being taken for a future highway expansion and he feels it is easier to sell a portion of it than to move it.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 07:49:16 am »
A mate of mine got to know a bloke out west a bit who was into collecting old roadies and dirtbikes. Had an old farmhouse stuffed with the things apparently, plus a shed or two I think. He was blown away by it. That guy sold a few of them off a while back too I think.

I ran into a guy from the south coast at the track one day, he claimed to have been collecting 500 Yamahas for ages and had a whole pile of them sitting on his property.

There must be more of the same sort of thing out there still I am guessing.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:25 am »
I know its not a shed of bikes,but they may not just be in sheds.  8)
What a job it was,  :o

WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs will find this  interesting.  Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!

A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under the boggy bank of a lake near Johvi , Estonia .  The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been resting at the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-ton machine with a top speed of 53km/hr.

From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow, 50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of   Estonia . Over 100,000 men were killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944,  the  tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army. (This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.) On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narva front.  It is suspected  that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake to conceal it when its captors left the area.

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake, Kurtna Matasjarv, noticed tank tracks leading into the lake but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake.  This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armored vehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club  'Otsing'. Together with other club members, Mr. Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3 metre layer of peat.

Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out.  In September of 2000 they turned to Mr. Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narva open pit company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer. (Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and has recorded 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.)

The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with several technical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made for a pulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2  handled the operation  with  power and style.  The weight of the fully-armed tank was around 30 tons, so  the active force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-ton dozer was to have enough weight to prevent slippage while moving up the hill.

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy tank' that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board.  Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with NO RUST, and all systems  (except the engine) in  working  condition. This  is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are underway to fully restore the tank.  It will be displayed at a war history museum in the Gorodenko village on the left bank of the River Narv.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:25:39 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 11:19:39 am »
mud  mud and more mud
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:23 am »
half done
Best is in the West !!

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:36:46 am »
Built like a Honda!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
A mate of mine got to know a bloke out west a bit who was into collecting old roadies and dirtbikes. Had an old farmhouse stuffed with the things apparently, plus a shed or two I think. He was blown away by it. That guy sold a few of them off a while back too I think.

I ran into a guy from the south coast at the track one day, he claimed to have been collecting 500 Yamahas for ages and had a whole pile of them sitting on his property.

There must be more of the same sort of thing out there still I am guessing.

yep sure is esteemed Webmeister !

Many beers ago when i bought a basket case CR250M (late 80's) i heard about an ex wrecker that had some old Bikes down the back of Geelong (in Moolap), so i made the trip down to his house and was confronted by 2 large sheds full of bikes laying against each other, the sheds had no natural light or lighting so they were very dark, the owner was not really interested in what i wanted and said to me have a look for anything yourself and went off to do his own thing. he just could be bothered with the bikes at all.

well as i could not get in the shed as there was way too many bikes stuffed in there and they had been there for awhile as they were covered in dust and pigeon shit i gave up, it would have taken hours to move them to see what was there, it looked like mostly old agi bikes and trail bikes not MX stuff that i was interested in. i had no torch so i just got back in the car and went home.

i often wonder if they are still there or what happened to them. i have been told similar stories first hand from mates about other places like this too over the last 3 years although they said it comprised mostly old agi shitters (a treasure trove for farmers)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)