Author Topic: Honda killswitch bucks the economic climate?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

Re: Honda killswitch bucks the economic climate?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:36:28 pm »
And you know what? I bet some sucker buys it.

Doc

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:59:56 pm »
that's even more crazy than the infamous YZ front plate and red topped PE killswitch ;) a switch is a switch is a switch, buy an aftermarket job for $20 and have enough left for engine rebuild or new chain and sprockets or a brand new carb and filter or whatever, the list goes on but obvioulsy commonsense has gone by the wayside ::) I'm afraid I could 'never' be so anal and no doubting all my bikes reflect this :D

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:25:06 pm »
Your got to be kidding  :o   cashed up bank managers you gotta love em for driving up rare parts  ???

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:30:05 pm »
It comes down to the same old thing , with some exeptions i think most forum members are for want of a better phrase working class :)
Therefore our incomes and expenditures and perceived value of things reflect this.
Iv,e said it before and ill say it again some people would spend more than that on a bottle of wine with lunch or a shot of vintage malt at the friday after work drinks  :)
If somone wants to pay that good on em and good luck to the seller :)

Update watching on the idiot box some auction show  ::)some punter just paid $250,000 for a painting that i wouldn,t tear the canvass out of it to wipe my skinny white arse , be he obviously liked it  :o

Some punters apparantly even give a percentage of their income to the bloody church  :o each to their own i suppose  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:32:55 pm by TM BILL »

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:38:47 pm »
The original switches are getting hard to find, you use to buy them for around $80 AUD a couple of years ago on Evilbay and that was top $ then, they are hard to find now as NOS, they fit XR75's as well, repo's can be brought for around $40 USD from RE-MX, I still have have a few stashed away for future resto's ;D $$$$$$ ;D, the switch listed for the cr125 on Evilbay is wrong, it should have run in the middle and stop on both sides, it looks like an XL switch to me ??? 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:43:09 pm by BETRIC »
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Doc

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
360 is correct number for 125M but maybe it's simply been put back in the wrong bag Betric. Personally I would not have opened it to ensure it's originality ;)

firko

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:03 am »
And you know what? I bet some sucker buys it
I told you so. The amazing thing is that there were 13 suckers going for it. It seems that  there's still a bit of toy money floating around pointing to my suspicion that the so called 'recession' is a bit overcooked.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:29:10 am »
He could have bought one of these for a tenth of what he paid and from a distance who could tell the difference...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220322314263&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
this bloke had one on evil bay about three months ago and sold for $255.00.if you are doing a mickey mouse restro you have to have one.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 06:45:01 pm »
my perspective is a stock standard resto of near any model or make is simply a 'clone' and basically something 'anybody' with a fistfull of whippy could build (or have built). Worldwide there's already restored versions of near every model conceivable, some 20 times over, the question I ask is why build another showroom 'clone' for absurd amounts of money if you're not going to ride it..why not build something either, bling, unique or even just slightly different ??? resto's are nice to look at but....

I don't begrudge anyone paying the money for something they really want but it sure doesn't help the average racer or enthusiast one little bit.

magoo

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 06:55:56 pm »
It doesn't bother me one way or the other. You're doing a concourse resto on a bike and the last NOS part you need comes up on ebay, you'll pay whatever.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What's the big deal?

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 07:09:21 pm »
Looks like dirt bike collectors are as silly as road bike collectors.  ;) It's amazing what you'll pay for that elusive part that you need (want  ;D) or that most others don't have. Nuth'n to do with value it's all about the collection/passion factor.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »
Yeah I don’t see the big deal here. Say if an item is sitting at (on ebay) $100 and im willing to pay $300 for it why shouldn’t I pay that much for it if its considered to be too high price for many people? Should I be worried about upsetting too many other people by buying it at this supposedly ‘over the top price’??? A’m I supposed to think $300 is too much and I should just let it go to other bidder for $100 because its what the market sees as ‘acceptable’? I say who cares, its everyone for themselves, if you have got the money and really need a certain part then just buy it and who cares if its seen as an over the top price for a part. You got your part your really wanted, an the seller got their money. End of deal. Its just the way things are.

In another thread someone was asking how much a genuine Bill Bell Honda is worth and that is like asking how long a piece of string is, and suggested prices were around $3000-$5000. well I haven’t got the cash to buy one and I also don’t want one but if I did I would gladly pay double those prices for that particular bike was in reasonable condition and the real deal. i know how much time and effort and money goes into building/restorting bikes and searching for parts, and if you an buy something like that, that just needs a simple cosmetic re-do (or even leave it as is if its in original condition) can save a lot of money and work trying to build a 'replica' that is only ever going to be a replica and you  dont have to go through all th saga of bidding against other people to try and buy the trick honda parts and CJ frame etc as individual parts and you dont have the added costs of paying for freight for all these parts. theres no way i would trust getting some valuable simons forks sent here by seamail but i would hate think of what it would cost to get them sent by airmail with the exchange rate as it is and rising shipping costs

There will always be prices for stuff that is seen as ‘acceptable’ and then there will ALWAYS be other others who will pay more that this.

i know i have paid over the top prices for some stuff, but i got the parts i wanted and i was happy end of story.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:57:48 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:08:18 pm »
I agree - if you want that last part for a resto then it's worth whatever you want to pay for it.
I'm not into nut and bolt full on restos myself, but respect those that have the desire and funds to do so.  I prefer to ride mine ;).  Apart from that it's only going on a Honda :P :P.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.