Author Topic: What does it mean to you........  (Read 3824 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
What does it mean to you........
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:06:16 pm »
After reading a few threads and talks with different people the question of what makes VMX; VMX? The why am I in vmx and what does it mean to me question is a thoughtful reminder of why we do this.
   I know why I like vmx, and although the racing of our machines is one aspect that I aspire to do with my limited ability, but it is only one aspect of the sport. I can sit and look at a vmx bike for hours, now I dont know if thats good or bad but it is just something I like doing.
  Restoring an old pile of rusted crap is another highlight for me. To be able to give life to something that should've been thrown out with yesterdays newspaper is the ultimate for me. Will at least until race day.
  What else does vmx mean to me?
The Greatest era of time in Motocross, when the pace of evolution and experimentation was tops. When at just a glance you knew which make and model bike you were looking at.
  To capture that time, that look, that sense of feeling again is to me, VMX. But to have world wide friends all doing the same thing creating a huge network is just amazing, and to relive this by-gone era again with like-minded people just makes this sport(I dont think it is a sport, but more a life style) a better a great exprience than just having an old bike.
To me VMX isnt just about the racing of old vintage motocross bikes, its the whole concept of an era.

What does it mean to you........?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

TM BILL

Re: What does it mean to you........
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:23:58 pm »
Bit less TV  :)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »
Bit less TV  :)

Did you say  VD ??

Oh thats right, you havnt given Vallie your last name yet,,  and I bet you thought I meant something else... ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »
DJ - you have captured what it means to me in what you have said.  I spend hours looking at my resto plotting what to do next, learning how top use a spray gun again etc etc and on it goes.   Possibly a mid life crisis for me, but I make no excuses for that.
There are a few aspects to it for me (in no particular order).
1) Bringing an absolute heap of crap back from the dead to as good as or better (noguchi) than new.
2) The thrill of opening up the big 465.
3) Learning to ride a gain after 20 years off dirt bikes.
4) The anticipation of what the current resto is going to be like to ride.
5) The hunt for that special part, especially the last 30 seconds on ebay (curses on you E74 and chubbs 69 whoever you are ;D ;D  - we are both going to have half an NOS YZ80H  :D :D) and
6) Learning all the skills required to do the resto.
I have imensely enjoyed my journey so far.  I look forward to starting racing and honing skills that are undoubtedly limited on a dirt bike.
The saddest part for me is that we can't save them all from the dump  :'(
The best part about the whole thing for me though is the friends I have made on here that love the same silly old bikes as me.  I look forward to catching up with those blokes and a few new friends at CD6.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:51:27 pm by YZ250H »
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:12 pm »
good sides
1) building a mean race out of a heap i dont know about anyone else but the worse the bike i start with the more i wanna fix it  :D seriously the time in the shed is always fun
2)once finishing a bike replacing all the stock bits you looked soo hard for with the tricker bits you are looking even harder for
3)the thrill of the hunt finding the bits is half the battle
4) cracking the throttle on a 70s two smoke
5)castor 2 stroke oil  ;D (and av gas shhhhh  ;))
6) stiiting on the gates with 10-30 other old two somkes making more smoke than 100 cars in a traffic jam
7)the race the older bikes reliy so much more on the riders skill than anything else to go fast
8)occaionly winning a race  ;D
bad sides
1)empty beer fridge  :D
2)washing the bike after a race  :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:36:58 pm by caps 999 »
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:18:32 pm »
Good on you caps, I forgot to mention the smell of castor 2 stroke.  More expensive but worth every cent  ;)

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:21:47 pm »
not soo good for the wales but youve gotta indulge sometimes  :D
MUGEN power

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »
Heavy weight sidecars !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Mix the roar of single, twin ,triple and four cylinder behemoths two and four strokes with the scents, sights and sweaty terror!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »
right on about the dump thing to 250h i try to save as many as i can but i gotta draw the line sometimes  :(
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:11 pm »
Yeah, I'm gunna save a whale by harpooning a Jap  ;)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:33:13 pm »
go two for one we'll reverse the problem 2 japs for every wale   :D
MUGEN power

YSS

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:10 pm »
Heavy weight sidecars !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Mix the roar of single, twin ,triple and four cylinder behemoths two and four strokes with the scents, sights and sweaty terror!

Tim please no Sidecar terror  :D

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:58 pm »
Yeah Tim, we are already scared enough  ;D ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:36 pm »
fuel smell,oily hands,knocked knuckles,talking people,heart pumping,good lines,cute flaggies,sore muscles,running bike,empty esky,empty jerry can,smelly riding gear,ear to ear grins ,clean bikes,full belly, soft bed...................
must of been vmx   ;D
Best is in the West !!

Doc

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 10:58:48 pm »
I can mess with my old bikes for untold hours and still never get sick of piecing them together. I do however get sick of messing with the same bike hence I keep adding, bit like a jigsaw, once you've done it it's time for another. Every bike has a story and maybe a little history, some were never popular and others were like rectums with everyone having one ::) some start as bare frames and others came in boxes, very few were puchased outright as going concerns and the ones that were I'd purchased new and kept them what seems like forever. The 70's and early 80's for me were gold 8) I can't help but try to keep the feeling alive and this is the most fun way I know how ;)