Author Topic: Bob Hannah Book-Highly Recomended  (Read 2353 times)

suzuki43

Bob Hannah Book-Highly Recomended
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:47 am »
I just finished reading the newly published Bob Hannah authorised Biography and give it two thumbs up.
Great read and good photography, on one of the real men of motocross.
I sourced it via Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Hannah-Story-Tom-Madigan/dp/0760333009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228258372&sr=1-1

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Hannah Book-Highly Recomended
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:01:16 pm »
Thanks suzuki43
There really is never a shortage of Christmas/gift ideas for the man who has everything;)
One just has to look right here on OZVMX.

Best is in the West !!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:55 pm »
What about this 247 ?

Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:07 pm »
Is that one of those break open in case of emergency kind of things...
Best is in the West !!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:11:02 pm »
Nah,  It's the latest in mens fragrances.  Perfect for the bloke for Christmas.  Like this .......
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »
I have always been in awe of Hannah until I got the DVD "The Motocross Files" - "Bob Hannah"
I found that he is a arogant , nasty, opinionated son of a bitch that just had a hell of a lot more determination than talent, ...Now I really like him!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:31:55 pm by E74 »

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:59:29 am »
Yes Suzuki 43 I must concur. I forced myself to put it down before I read it all at one sitting. The picture of Bob in his Gym with the life size picture of the Roger D beside his punching bag is a gem. 5 Stars from me.

firko

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:21:35 am »
When I interviewed Roger De Coster for ADB back in '94 or '95 he spent a lot of time gushing over Hannah. He told us that Hannah was without any doubt the most focused rider he'd seen and that his work ethic had no equal. He went on to say that if he'd ridden the World Championship GPs he would have become one of the greatest World Champions. I was "lucky" enough to meet Hannah when I worked for supercross promoter Mike Goodwin and found him to be a cocky young smartarse that had one thing over the other cocky smartarses, he was as good as he told everyone.
I've been a big fan of Hannahs ever since and I'll get a copy of the book now that everyone has given it the thumbs up. Often these biographies turn out to be bullshit ridden monumental yawns so I look forward to getting a copy. (Hint to anybody stuck for a Christmas pressy for me!)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for reminding me about this book. So I emailed PitStop books in Perth at 4.00pm yesterday and the book arrived at 9.00 this morning. Just typical of their great service. I would recommend them to everybody.

Now for good old Buckwheat - that guy is a living legend. Can you imagine what the current crop of moto whingers would make of him. They moan and groan about Chad not fitting their preconceived 'U.S. Moto Mould' - Hannah would chew them up and spit them out. They would hate him - but as history has proven - but the fans would love him. As Firko says, he is an arrogant little bastard, who did everything he said he would and had a hoot doing it. A true one of a kind.

Personalities like his, and his contemparies [Barnett, Ward, Bailey, Bayle, Stanton, Glover, LaPorte, etc - tough bastards one and all] are what makes that era so special to those who remember. There has never been an era when so many champions battled it out week after week - no holds barred warfare. Bloody fantastic!!!!

FYI: I am sure most of you remember the race at Saddleback between Howerton and Hannah that marked Hannahs return to competition following his broken leg - well a full length DVD is about to be released that shows the entire race. I for one can't wait to see it.

Gotta love the Hurricane.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:45:36 pm »
Stop talking about this book pleassssse, Karen has bought it for me for Xmas and you guys are just rubbing it in that I can't read it now, and I have searched the house high and low like a kid but I can't find it anywhere. She must have a bloody good hiding place.  ;D
I have the Bob Hannah "Motocross files" on DVD and I agree totally E74, ya just got to like him for how he says it.

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
Same era, different rider.
Another good $50 spent is the Danny "Magoo" Chandler dvd.
Great interviews, era footage (for all those Maico tragics) even the crash that ended it all.
Another tough talker, and when he was "on" pretty much untouchable.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:53:12 pm »
Hey DJ,
Stop looking.

Karen lent it to me to read before she gave it to you. She knew you wouldn't mind.

I should have it back to you in a few months [unless I misplace it], it's a bit worn and dog earred, but I am sure it will be fine. Oh, and its got a coffee cup stain… and…
VMX42

P.S. I don't know why you are so excited, its got lots of Honda images in it as well!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

suzuki43

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 05:52:12 pm »
Hey DJ,
I assume Karen will read you passages from the book as foreplay.......
Shame about all the references to the best yellow bike-Suzuki.

I must buy the DVD it sounds great,perhaps I too can use it as a Barry White type device like you.....