Author Topic: Best Front tyre.  (Read 1077 times)

mx250

Best Front tyre.
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:30:51 pm »
Any comments or suggestion for a front tyre, by make and model. No consideration of period looks or wear rates, just the best 'all rounder' grip and performance.

Going onto the VB360, initially as a rim protector but hopefully for some VMX and maybe Dirt Tracking.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Best Front tyre.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:14:10 pm »
I have found the Michelin S12 to be a great tyre in most conditions, while the Dunlop D756 on my RM125M seems to be extremely predictable. And I have been trying Motoz Tractionators on my 05 YZ125 and am very happy with these. From now on I will probably run the Dunlops on my vintage bikes, and the Motoz on my modern.

Rosco400

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »
Like the Michelin M12 on the hard pack & trelleborgs in the wet

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:47:42 pm »
I bought a couple of S12s for my VMX bikes on advice from this forum, and I've been more than happy with them. They're only a bit dicey on really dry hardpack - which I hardly ever find at race meets...

A couple of my bikes have the Dunlop soft-terrain tyres (D756?) and I think that they've got a bit less ultimate grip, but are better on the hard-pack and (as Graeme said) seem super-preditable. And wear better than the Michelins on the hard stuff.

The modern Husky has an AC10 (? - its the Michelin hard terrain tyre), and it works great - only seems to get tricked in the really loose powder.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:54:34 pm »
s12 or irc ixo7 front boths good loam tyres
MUGEN power

Maico31

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »
The Michelin starcross MH3 is a very good front tyre or Dunlop 756 which is an intermediate and like Nathan says they're good on hard pack and wear well. The new Husky's come with Michelin comp 3 on the enduro model and Pirelli MT32 on the motocrosser, both are pretty good also.

firko

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
Michelin S12 seems to be the general concensus but you'd be surprised what actually works. When I was restoring my Maico 350 back in the mid 80's I was given a tyre by a mate of mine. It had been the original fitment on his Bultaco Pursang back in 1973 and he'd removed it without ever turning a wheel and replaced it with a Metzler, the gun tyre of the time. Seeing that it had all of it's original tits still in place I fitted it to the Maico which at that stage was destined to be used purely as a garage queen.
Cut to 2008 and that original tyre, a Spanish Pirelli Gara Cross marked 272 (presumably Febuary 1972) is still fitted to the Maico and at the age of 35 years of age still works remarkably well. It has no cracks, has minimal wear and has survived not only my slowpoke riding but guest rides by Laurie Alderton, Jim Scaysbrook, Per Klitland and numerous mates. The wheel and tyre also saw some action on both my '74 440 and '81 490 at various times. It's won three Aussie titles and at its last motocross start at the Coffs Nats, Darryl Lewis rode the date out of the old bike for a close second in pre 70 and never complained about any dodgy front end action. The performance and longevity of this tyre amazes everybody that sees it.
Below, the old Maico proudly displays its almost as old front tyre. It's still on the bike in almost the same condition as shown.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:19:08 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:19:39 pm »
Thanks guys, a few makes and models there so I might go and see what prices I come up with.