Author Topic: Whatcha makin' ?  (Read 14923 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Whatcha makin' ?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 06:17:16 pm »
LWC
Got your pm, my MS tank is the same but in white. It's no good for me, sorry.

lc4

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 07:25:59 pm »
My XL250 Restoration

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »
Lc4
Nice rebuild, I must admit tracking down the parts for a full resto is a daunting task, you've done a great job. I's a bit hard to tell via the pics, but are the rims and fork slider powder coated?
pmc57

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »
rims look like the original DID matt silver annodized finish
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

lc4

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »
Lc4
Nice rebuild, I must admit tracking down the parts for a full resto is a daunting task, you've done a great job. I's a bit hard to tell via the pics, but are the rims and fork slider powder coated?
pmc57

Rims are powder coated ,wasn't my prefered option but the anodiser advised due to the heavy scratchs etc that anodising would be a waste of time.
Fork legs and hubs are bead blasted with two pack clear coat.
Took it down today and got a Blue slip now ready for rego  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
My toy:

Not quite finished, but I'm pretty happy with myself, seeing as it started the weekend looking like this:

A lack of spark was traced to a dead stator - funnily enough, the dead stator looks pristine, while the functioning one looks like its been dragged from the bottom of the ocean...
Plus lots of other fiddly stuff - cleaning out mud-wasp's nest from the carby, regreasing stiff steering head bearings, swapping tyres, etc.

Main things still to deal with are:
Cleaning up the pipe (stupidly, I have a brand-newie that I'm too scared to fit to the bike - you should have seen how long it took me to fit the NOS RHS sidecover. ::));
fitting a smaller front sprocket (this is a 15T one - apart from the gearing issues, it prevents me fitting the cover);
making a muffler;
Fitting a kill-switch;
and sorting out a rear guard/rear frame loop.

I haven't actually ridden it yet - it started second kick, and sat there idling happily - but then I remembered that The Boy was asleep inside so I shut it down. Apart from anything else, with no muffler its way too loud to go ripping around my suburban block...

There's a long story behind the bike and the bits, but the simple version is that I've been able to assemble a running bike that looks OK, for SFA money, thanks to Roger, 'the other Brent', Greg, Marty, Bruce and Nev - all top Aussie blokes (even if one of 'em is a Kiwi):)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 06:11:52 pm »
it feels good to get some stuff sorted over a weekend, you get to go to work on Monday and start planning the next list of jobs. Plus you've still got tomorrow to go!!

I do like the works racing petrol cap

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 03:47:09 pm »
A few pics of the XL250 I've been working on over the last 6 months.
Before.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 03:48:59 pm »
After

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »

As projects get moved around the shed, the RM/PE175 comes out for some TLC.

As it stands it is running '84 43mm forks and twin-leading shoe brake, PE175 engine. '84 wheels front and rear.

It needs some new shocks, a small amount of frame welding and then a strip down for the cosmetics.

With a Preston Petty headlight and tail light it should look Vinduro enough. Much lighter than a PE, I hope it is worth the effort.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

mainline

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:10 pm »
mmmm....great minds think alike!

phil todd

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »
I bought this IT200 in Zeehan, Tasmania - very original -it now has full road reg. Getting the speedo working again was a tricky one. Also swing arm shaft was seized in.

Yam  IT200

Phil

DR

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
Almost back to semi original but for me it's about a little individuality anyway ;) not to mention the outrageous cost of replacement stickers. No-one apparently has reproductions but I wasn't overly fussed in the originals regardless so all's good :) you can usually pick these up for a little over $500 running, more or less for better or worse. 32hp/110kgs and a cheap ride for pre'85 VMX or Vinduro ;)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:02:52 pm by Doc »

TT

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
That's a bargain ride, Doc. I had one of those new in '88. For some reason.............   ::)

My Montesa is right to go so I'm currently working on the RS250 project. (Still....  ::) ) Not too different to VMX42's PE/RM thingy.  ;)