Author Topic: Whatcha makin' ?  (Read 14925 times)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
Whatcha makin' ?
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:01:06 pm »
Iknow I started this thread in Suzuki,but lets see what everyones putting together in all the brands. If youre making up that you beaut Vinduro bike,heres your chance to whip it out for all to see............

Roger

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Whatcha makin' ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:00:03 am »
I've got Noel's old IT175F.

Needs a proper IT motor (currently has a hybrid DT175/IT125 motor), and a tidy-up, and I'm seriously considering swapping to 38mm forks and lengthing the rear shock.
And maybe a YZ125E alloy swing arm.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:41:02 pm »
I still haven't worked out how to put pics on this thing yet, but they'll come eventually (i'll get my teenage daughter to do it for me). However, I'm in the early stages of rebuilding a '81 XL250S as an enduro mount. Motors fully stripped, checked what's needed to get it working properly again, now it's  nearly ready to go back together.
With the frame I think I might move the top shock mounts and the swing arm mounts forward to get a bit more rear wheel travel, add a pair of better shocks and that may help the rear, plus I have a spare pair of RM250C forks antd tripples I'm thinking of adapting to the front along with a 21" front wheel to help the front end go where it's pointed.
 Not sure what to do with the rest yet, given time it will come to me.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:16:02 pm »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

OSSA PHANTOM

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:58 am »
 Working on another phantom for vinduro, Iv'e got engine the been rebuilt, waiting on Sammy Miller to ship my gas betors. In the mean time I am doing the bodywork, rebuilding the carb and re-drilling and re-tapping every one of those useless 7mm bolts out to 8mm. The picture is prior to the restoration

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 04:45:48 am »
Here's my 82 PE for AHRMA CC next year. RM125 shock and rear fender shown. New spokes, seatcover, nos bits, and sidepanels not shown. Topend and seals yet to do too. Decided to stick with the stock tank rather than do an RM tank/seat swap.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:48:58 am »
I am hoping to have this 84 GS250 Kato done by the first round of the NSW Vinduro series.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:34:36 pm by E74 »

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:03 am »
Like Nathan I also will be restoring an IT175F.
As well as the 2009 Vinduros I'll take it to the Yamaha IT Australia meet at Jugiong. http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Mick

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:35:09 am »
These are my 2 bikes i just brought not long back, im trying to get the IT 175 G  up and running first then i will tackle the PE 175 T , they both pretty much need everything to be goer's bearings, chain - sprockets, air filters, fork seals, boots, all cables and levers-grips, tyres, tubes, handle bars, seat covers, brake shoes, plastic's etc, etc.

I just got a new seat cover and tank cover from New Zealand, but the seat cover is at the trimmers as it does not fit to good , hopfully by next week it will, I got the tank cover because i cant be bothered sanding down the tank, plus have same for the PE on its way soon.

Hopefully these bikes will both make it to Broadford Vinduro a little better off than they look now,  if not then the DT's will be back out  :)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:00:26 pm by Mick »

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:40 pm »
I have a GS490 that i started to rebuild the motor on. Next year!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:03:21 pm »
Go the PE's if i could afford more of them i would get them. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »
All these goings-on about Vinduros has got me motivated to get my old Suzuki out and ridable again. The idea is to get it ready in time to ride at the next Vinduro at Conondale.
Here is what it looks like after cleaning most of the cobwebs off. That bashplate is an OEM item I was lucky enough to buy from someone on these forums about a year ago. Thanks again whoever you are. It is a beaut.
The bike was put together in 1979 from a 1979 SP370 and an RM250C for enduros and trail riding because I was tired of rebuilding the motor in my IT175D. The engine cradle section is from the SP370 and the rest is from the RM and I welded it together when I was a 3rd year apprentice fitter and turner. The Suzuki motor is now 400cc and has a nice big Dell Orto pumper carby bought from Geoff Udy's shop in about 1980 to go with the simplified exhaust. I can never decide which front wheel to use as believe it or not, both the SP370 and RM250 front wheels weigh pretty much the same!! I think it is the strong-as rim on the RM wheel that makes up the weight. The RM wheel looks better but the SP brakes are marginally better and of course has a speedo drive.
The front guard I haven't ditched yet as it reminds me of the origins of the RM250C. The front guard was originally hand signwritten "Springwood Suzuki" in black paint because the person who sold the RM to me was a sponsored MX rider. It is pretty much on its last legs though.
After getting rid of the incredibly stiff original Suzuki shockies, I bought and eventually wore out a set of S&W piggyback strokers and then in about 1990 I bought those weird Marzocchi shocks in the photo when I couldn't find any other shockies the right length. I stopped riding it and de-registered the bike in about 1994 when I finally bought a modern bike (XR600). When I lived in Townsville, the Suzuki was set up for long-distance rides with the smallest rear sprocket that would allow the chain to clear the sprocket nuts and the biggest front sprocket I could get. Great fuel economy but not the best seat to be sitting still on for hours.
Anyway it brings back great memories for me every time I look at it so I thought someone else might get a giggle out of it too.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
Another photo
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:01 pm »
These are my 2 bikes i just brought not long back, im trying to get the IT 175 G  up and running first then i will tackle the PE 175 T , they both pretty much need everything to be goer's bearings, chain - sprockets, air filters, fork seals, boots, all cables and levers-grips, tyres, tubes, handle bars, seat covers, brake shoes, plastic's etc, etc.
Me too but mine are IT175F and PE175T.
Hopefully these bikes will both make it to Broadford Vinduro a little better off than they look now,
The PE175T looks great compared to mine.
If you put new plastics on it can I have your old ones.  :-*  :-*
Mine doesn't have any at all. :( :( :(
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:54 pm »
I'm working my way to getting from the first one (as it arrived in my shed) to the second one (an image from a collector in the US).
So far everything has come apart, all the non-standard stuff is packed away. Paint has been stripped, correct parts acquired, hubs bead blasted and laced with new spokes and rims, and the silver metal parts have been powder coated.
Will start assembly when all the nuts and bolts and things return form the electro platers.
I'll do a resto photo series when I get nearer to making it look like a bike again.
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....