Author Topic: this shows how our money is really stuffed  (Read 8501 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
this shows how our money is really stuffed
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:55 am »

i was day dreaming over this ebay add and it dawn on me how the assie dollar has devalued
XR-750 Factory Flat Track Racer Dirt Track Racer (Harley-Davidson : XR-750)  (Reserve Not Met)
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120340337642&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem= 

US $10,500.00
AU $16,183.72

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: this shows how our money is really stuffed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:20:43 am »
or looking on the bright my C&J just appreciated against its replacement cost  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:35:23 am »
last christmas it would off been close to even money

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:30:13 am »
 Yair Paul,
             $16,183 Ozzie plus shipping plus import costs.  The Fat Lady has sung.   ;)   

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:55:50 am »
16k is a pretty fair price for a pretty well unmolested first series XR750. Many changed over to C&J, Champion or Trackmaster frames and were fited with aftermarket cases and/or top ends, detracting from their originality and therefore investment value. When you compare the price to a genuine Manx Norton or a G50 Matchless, its a good indication that these factory Harleys will eventually go through the roof. These flat trackers are too cool and as soon as I get the current batch of motocross projects out of the way I may make a start on my 650 Benelli Trackmaster basket case.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:48:45 pm »
IMO the best Harley ever! 
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:59 pm »
harley have just released an new XR - the XR1200 - a way cool lookin bike , saw it for the 1st time at our big boys toys show here in New Zealand

Doc

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:34:39 am »
the yanks have blown all their money and now they have come to take ours. The drop in our $ against theirs as compared to less than 12 months ago is the most obvious sign. Even if I were a millionaire I personally would not a touch a single thing out of the US at present on principle only. The US economy collapses, they see we are doing just fine so we'll bleed the Oz people for 50c in every dollar they have. Paying an extra $5000 to Uncle Sam for absolutely nothing as compared to 12 months ago??..if you love the US for what they've done to the average persons savings and investments globaly then go right ahead ;) bit of bee in my bonnet of this, it truley is nothing short of a money grab from average joe and makes one sort of understand why so many others are up in arms, literally! If we had vast oil reserves down here I'd be a little more than worried about any US military activity in this country ;) 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:37:34 am by Doc »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:16:01 am »
It's easy to blame the yanks for the dollar, but it's more of a world game played by the worlds banks.

I didn't think it would last long when close to even money, but I didn't think it would drop as low as it did.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:03 am »
I have to agree with GMC.

It's always easy to take pot shots at the USA for their problems.  What tends to get lost in the anger are the good things that they create and do which have positive effects on our lives...like the ability to tank the yanks on an internet discussion forum... ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 08:43:41 am »
Isn't it all to do with the amount of money some bloody stupid people are spending, that has caused Aussie trouble.
Went to North of Perth on the weekend and what used to be strawberry/tom/spud/carrot fields is all now roof tops and these houses have to be furnished and the outdoor setting  ::) too dear  ::)
just out of control  >:(
And they are still letting OS people into the country ,what about our kids jobs next year and the year after..
aaaahhhhh I feel good now ...
Have a great day
Alison
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:57:02 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 08:59:02 am »
the trouble is that countries are now run just to supply multinationals with consumption-addicted humans who have long lost sight of what real life is about.  governments will always do these companies bidding cause they keep them in government, and that means short term profit all the way down to the last bit of available water, oil, air. 

on that note, anyone see that most interesting doco last nite, 'earth after humans'?  if we did ourselves in, a hundred years later skyscrapers are like vertical jungles; a thousand years later all signs of the species homo sapiens gone baby gone....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 09:12:47 am »

on that note, anyone see that most interesting doco last nite, 'earth after humans'?  if we did ourselves in, a hundred years later skyscrapers are like vertical jungles; a thousand years later all signs of the species homo sapiens gone baby gone....
[/quote]

yes we watched it,(Chen noble with the city next door was regrowing)don't ya just love the way nature takes over. :-*
Our mx track up the paddock is the same, has to be riden on ever so often to stop the regrowth  ;D
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:17:00 am »
Some interesting and diverse comments. I have never known exactly why the various exchange rates vary constantly and vary wildly at times. I probably should jump on Google and investigate :P. It does seem unusual that the consensus is that Australia in probably going to weather the tough economic times better than most western economies and yet we seem to get hammered with the exchange rate.

Taking a mild interest over a long period of time I think there are a number of factors that vary our exchange rate. I have heard that being a relatively small volume currency the Oz $ is subject to manipulation at times ::) :-\. I don't think that is the cause at the mo. The last explanation of the current situation I heard was that the US economy is sucking in credit which somehow makes the oz $ against the $US go down and the $US against the Euro go down ???.

I think the variation in exchange rates is a case of swings and around abouts, there are advantages and disadvantages. Some industries welcome the change some go backwards. My sister in law is getting an inheritance from Ireland. She'll effectively get about 50% more than she would have 12 months ago 8). The prob with variations in any prices is the disruptive effect of adjusting (exchange rate is an international price of our currency).

I'm still buying out of the US, buying less and being more selective but still buying. Without any real info I'm supposing that the Oz $ will recover further in the near future. I probably should jump on to Google now and become better informed ;).

Doc

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 07:04:49 pm »
It's always easy to take pot shots at the USA for their problems.  What tends to get lost in the anger are the good things that they create and do which have positive effects on our lives...like the ability to tank the yanks on an internet discussion forum...

Ajay, that example is exactly the point. Too many corporate giants and too many little people. I am not racist, people are people no matter what part of this rock they're from, I'm having a go at the US super powers and government departments with their buddy buddy corporate giants who have sucked up all the money that would normaly be spread around globally. The war in Iraq and elsewhere is a prime example. The US munitions companies, suppliers and all other assocciated contingencies must be laughing all the way to the bank regardless of how much it's cost their country or the global economy for that matter. The US is richer than ever it's just fewer people share the wealth. For every action there is an equal and sometimes more drastic reaction. I have my opinions and it points the finger squarly at the outgoing US government and their war mongering global controlling ways. Thank God the US had the sense to toss them out while they had the chance ;)