Author Topic: 4robs is finished  (Read 20120 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: 4robs is finished
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:35 am »
I've decided to get a Vintage Dirt Bike show and shine going on Sunday 14th December which will be a fundraiser for Rob. I'm thinking sausage sizzle, beer to sell, a few raffles and anything else we can think of.

Great idea, but you will need to promote it outside of this forum as well, maybe Trading Post, Motorcyle News, Local papers?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2008, 08:33:30 am »
Rob have just had a look at the new photos you have put up on your website, they are just heart breaking.
All the best in yours Kathy,James and Toms recovery.

Hoping this makes us all aware of our lives and how lucky we are today.
Best is in the West !!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2008, 09:35:58 am »
Hey Rob - I just checked out the pictures on the 4robs website and can understand now what you mean!

Has there been a 'fire cause and determination' carried out or was the cause of the fire straight forward?

As a firey I see this very often but as the victim it is another thing altogether. What most people do is begin sorting almost immediately as it can be a good way of moving on especially when you find the 'little things' that give you a chuckle etc.

I hope you have had a chance to start protecting the moulds from further corrosion issues - I was thinking about that and perhaps the dunk in old oil might be the quickest and cheapest way to go.

As for the rest I guess a deal with the nearest scrap dealer should have the site cleaned out pretty quickly with minimum cost to you guys as many will pay the cost of the salvage of the steel structures etc and offset it against any tonnage they would otherwise pay and then it's off to China with it to make their shitty 50's!

Rebuild and keep going mate !!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For everyone else out there take Rob's situation as a warning to us all. I intend reviewing my workshop and how things are stored etc and advise everyone else to do the same. Likewise with your houses make sure at least one working smoke alarm is fitted and always have an evacuation plan taking into account different escape routes for different situations. If you have deadlocks fitted either do not deadlock them when you are inside or if you must ensure that the key is IN the lock - until you have worked in a smoke filled room you have no idea how hard it is to a) find keys b) find the door c) locate the locks, operate the key and evacuate to safety.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

211kawasaki

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2008, 10:08:13 am »
Hey Rob

as had as it is you have to get rid of the goodbye from the web page.

Trying to remain positive is very difficult but you have to beleive that there is some light, dont write yourself off just yet; with the family that is VMX behind you and the determination that got you to where you were before you will recover.

If you need a bike for the nats, if you need 3 there there for you to ride let me know its an offer that any of the guys would have for you, the other stuff will come bact to you in time.

All the best\

DT

4RoBs

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »
Hey Rob - I just checked out the pictures on the 4robs website and can understand now what you mean!

Has there been a 'fire cause and determination' carried out or was the cause of the fire straight forward?

Yes Dave. No conclusive point of origen or ignition source. Too much damage too quickly and too many variables. It was described as an catastrophic start and basically all over in less than half an hour. I reckon the gas bottle had a lot to do with it, but like I said there is not enough left to be sure.

I hope you have had a chance to start protecting the moulds from further corrosion issues - I was thinking about that and perhaps the dunk in old oil might be the quickest and cheapest way to go.

Dave the moulds are all gone. They were made of urethane and were burnt - one of the pictures is what is left of the moulds and the shelving they were organised on. That is the biggest hurdle to restart. No moulds, no income, no business. It took six years to get 250 moulds. And I need that many to make a real go of it. I'll find something to do, but I can't begin to imagine how it could be making parts again.

DT you are right, good bye is too final. I'll get it off. I am heading in the right direction. I have help, I have assistance from lots and lots of folks. I am learning to accept the offers of help and the donations and gifts - that was hard for me as we are independant and  have nearly always done everything ourselves. As a family we have a plan evolving and we reckon with a bit of time we'll make progress.

Thank you again

Rob
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:06:14 pm by 4RoBs »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2008, 02:18:03 pm »
Hi Rob,

i appreciate the time it must take to make a mould, but i am sure we can all organise to lend you stuff to start to make moulds again. i am happy to lend you anything i have to help out. i have a few Hondas so they must be a popular item to sell i would reckon.

its early days but i am sure after the initial shock of what has happened has settled you can revisit where you want to go forward.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2008, 02:30:04 pm »
Hi 4robs,

Although I too dont know you, my admiration to you & your family, under the circumstances. With all the positive support, which I have seen from all on this Forum, I'm sure in time, it will eventually, be all put behind you & you will prosper bigger & better in whatever you now choose to do. Our family wishes you all the very best from here on in.

Mrs Maico #54

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2008, 03:25:37 pm »
Hoony, dont think your Honda 'poularity' went unnoticed.  your a funny man.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »
Rob,

Its heart-wrenching reading about this. "Devastating" doesn't even begin to describe it. Our hearts go out to you & yr family. I have often dreaded returning home to find everything burnt out - & hope & pray it never happens. It makes one stop & think - what really is important in life.

It sounds trite to remember the saying, "every cloud has a silver lining" but it is true. Tragedies often bring out the best in people - those around us. We never know what is just 'around the corner' for us - for better or for worse. We trust that something better is just around the corner for you now.

Wise words from firey Dave Mac too. Appreciated, Dave.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2008, 06:53:21 pm »
For everyone else out there take Rob's situation as a warning to us all.

Indeed.
To get lay-up cover with Shannons, for 28 bikes with a total value of about $40k, the premium is ~$135/month, as I discovered today.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

4RoBs

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2008, 07:53:32 am »
I've updated my website to sound more positive in line with my improving outlook. I get to play with an excavator today. A bit like burying my old dog only I need a bigger hole.

Thanks Everyone

Rob

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
Rob I am unable to get to website (error 404 crap), could you please post its address so i can check i have it properly bookmarked .Cheers and you humour is good to read! Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2008, 02:19:12 pm »
Gday Tim  Try clicking on Robs add.  . left side of OZVMX front page  ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »
I was KB... later discovered all the adds were not working, was my fault from some days back, trying to get rid of "redrockets .com  pop up, I had blocked all adds on this website ::) ;) Have rectified the problem now thanks. :) :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

4RoBs

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2008, 08:40:55 pm »
Members of the Western District Trials Club helped us clean up the ashes today. We've posted some more photos on the 4RoBs website (www.4robs.com.au). We've got a clean slab to start over and a clearer view of what might be possible. Thank you everyone for the support you have given us.

RKJT