Author Topic: Zundapp Guy wants to say Hello  (Read 2985 times)

ZundappGuy

Zundapp Guy wants to say Hello
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:28:37 am »
Hi, My name is Terry Davis from Pennsylvania USA, I have been a long time Dirt bike enthusiast and started to Vintage race in 2004.  My first race motorcycle was a Zundapp MC125, I raced it from 1972 to 1975. I hope to learn and share information on the forum.

Thanks and enjoy
Terry

mx250

Re: Zundapp Guy wants to say Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 06:19:23 am »

Welcome aboard ;D. .

Zundapps hey!!! They're about as rare as rocking horse poo in this neck of the woods. I have never seen one either 'in the day' or currently. We have plenty of rare stuff here, Herculus, Jawa and MZ ISDT's, SWM, Monarchs and other stuff but never a Zundapp. You'll have to enlighten us and bring us up to date with pixies, ride reports/impressions and general Zundapp enthusiasm ;) :D ;D. You know, the usual stuff; tell us what idiots we were for not recognising the World's best most innovative bike back in the day and how the mighty Zundapp was let down by the unthinking, uncaring, illinformed, 'swayed by a pretty face' youth of the day ::).

Don't hang back, let it rip; we are fairly innoculated by the Maico crew for outragous claims of superiority ;) ;D.

Welcome aboard ;D. .

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »
welcome aboard dude!.i remember a zundapp a big dutch gentleman from woolongong way [south of sydney] rode in road trials in the sixties. [think we call them enduros nowdays].this beast had wierd looking earls forks sprung by rubber bands.i will probably remember his name in the wee hours one morning. his was probably a 250...i haven't seen one since.   cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:23:38 pm »
Welcome Terry....It's true what the previous blokes have told you. Not a lot of Zundapps here except for a small number of Rickman Zundapps. They're a cool little engine though. I rode a Rickman Zundapp and was really surprised at how well it went. You watch now, Zundapp freaks will probably now flood the forum proving me wrong.

ZundappGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:38:51 am »
Thanks for the Welcome,
Yes, my Zundapp is unique, Zundapp was exceptionally fast for the time ( I could pass 72 Yamaha MX125’s like they were standing still. Even in 1973 when the CR125 Honda’s came out on the track. Mighty Zundapp was as fast in a straight line as the fastest Honda CR125, but would absolutely kill them up a hill. Now for a little background on Rickman Zundapp’s. The Rickman had the lower HP engine  for the same year as a real Zundapp. ( 1974 Rickman had the same engine as a 1972 Zundapp MC125) OOOOPs I guess Zundapp pulled a fast one on Rickman????? Also the Rickman up pipe was not very Good, soo a 72 Zundapp MC125 was faster than a 74 Rickman 125. OOOOPs again. 
I have had mainly European bikes in the past, most of them now out of Business. I am sure I'll enjoy the forum.

Thanks
Terry Davis

Doc

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:46:59 am »
Donny from Coffs originally had the Zundapp 125 in his sickman. Talking to him he said the motors did go well but the long throw shifting and the vulnerablity of the gearbox made him choose to fit a TM125 for reliability. In saying this I have no idea about Zundapps but this is simply what I was told, no doubt there is a fix these days if such an issue was par for the course and I'd sure have a Zundapp grace my floorspace if there was half a chance..I just love the name and the way it rolls off the tongue 8) welcome Terry, obviously I need some educating with this vintage marque eh ;) 

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:38:01 am »
Hello Terry
Welcome, l owned a Zundapp mc 125 and the engine serial number was a S20, and the owner of that bike now lives in Victoria, and their is another owner that has the same MODEL and he lives in Melbourne Victoria , the original owner who race that bike back in the 70`s was Dennis Currington  he race that bike with a lot of success back in the early 70`s.
all the best David

albrid-3

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:43:12 am »
Hello Terry
Welcome, l owned a Zundapp mc 125 and the engine serial number was a S20, and the owner of that bike now lives in Victoria, and their is another owner that has the same MODEL and he lives in Melbourne Victoria , the original owner who race that bike back in the 70`s was Dennis Currington  he race that bike with a lot of success back in the early 70`s. Yes you right they are very fast bikes, and i liked the Front fork setup, a cartrige, set damping and rebound and slid it back into the fork, very neat.
all the best David

ZundappGuy

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 03:25:26 pm »
I have added a photo of the 2006 ISDTRR in St Louis Mo. USA, The Team Riders are from L to R  Jim Jervis (3 time ISDE Vet),   Andrew powell, Both are from Canada and myself. Even in North America it took Canada and the USA to make a 3 man team. Most of the Zundapp's belong to collectors, Not many racers.
Most people do not understand the shifting adjustment in the engine of a Zundapp. Properly adjusted, this is the fastest shifting bike made with full on power shifts, Yikes, I wasn't supposed to let that secret out !!!!! 

PS: Doc, you may want to have your computer spell check looked at, it missed the "sickman" spelling for Rickman  ;D
Thanks and enjoy
Terry

Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 05:24:52 pm »
 :D nah Zundapp Guy, it is really a Sickman ;)..just a sec..I'll find you a picture..worth a thousand words..back soon.....

ah, here we go..see..says so on the tank! ;D Sickman

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:45:31 pm by Doc »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 11:01:42 pm »
I had a ride on a Zundapp in the mid 70's as a mates father had one, no idea what model but it was a 100.
As a teenager I wasn't sure about it at first as it had such a wierd name ;D
but it was bloody fun to ride, allthough back then anything was fun to ride.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »
I hate to prove you wrong Firko ;) but Charie Drake motorcycles imported Zundapps into WA in the early 70's, not many though, his son still has a NOS 125 road bike and some MX bikes including Hans (form the old Husky imports) Zundapp 125 that he won a state title on, they also imported 5 enduro bikes but only one made it to Australia as the other four were stolen while being shipped over, they also imported some Beta's and and the Coopers mx bikes ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:04:22 pm by BETRIC »
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Denis

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:48 am »
Another American! Hahaha, welcome!