Author Topic: South East QLD Storms  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
South East QLD Storms
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:43:17 am »
  Are all our mates up round Brisbane OK?
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: South East QLD Storms
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:22 pm »
I was wondering the same thing.  It looked like a rough one from over here.  Hope you guys missed the worst of it.     Cheers,    T250.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
Nothing a day off work and a chain saw couldn't fix . Didn't cop it as bad as THE GAP :o. The wind was awesome snapping trees like tooth picks followed by ( light hail ) for 10 minutes then torrential rain and only lost pwer for an hour .
Doc  suppose your as busy as a 1 armed paper hanger  ;D

Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:44:56 pm »
Stew I was going flat out before this little summer storm hit but now! Well I don't know what you call busier than flat out but that's it!  ::) I live over the northside of Brisbane for those not in the know an' oldfart down a bit to the south but I had no idea or indication of the ferocity and amount of damage being inflicted in other northern suburbs close by. It was no more than a bit of a downpour here yet 20 minutes away is a war zone. My mate lives up the very summit of a mountain at The Gap. I can't even get near his house as every third tree is down and across his private road..need a D9 Catapilla not a chainsaw!! His place survived 100% intact which is utterly amazing when you see the destruction that surrounds him. I suppose being an engineer and designing and building most of your own home can have advantages ;) Makes one realize the insignificance of the human race and how mother nature needs some respect :o one wonders what Christmas will bring with the onset of even hotter weather to come :-\
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:38:15 pm by Doc »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »
Just spent most of today out at Ferny hills and The Gap with calls for help, I live a little closer to there than Doc and i still only got a bit of rain, but drive five minutes North west and it's a whole new world.
Big dollar repairs.....and all but one uninsured. These people are in for a real shitty ride.
Old fart, that would be "busier than a one armed brick layer in Beruit"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:11:53 pm by evo550 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:13:40 pm »
This is when the Aussie mate ship kicks in.  :-*
Love thy neighbor. 8)
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:33 pm »
  :-*
Love thy neighbor. 8)
I do, but she won't love me back ::) :-\

;D

mainline

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:24:57 pm »
Just got the phone on this arvo, had the power out till last night!

To sweeten the deal we have had the in-laws from NSW up for the week, welcome to Qld!

The brother in law and myself, along with a neighbour stupidly decided to go for a hike up the Mountain Range behind where I live on Sunday arvo without bothering to listen to the radio or check the forecast and got well and truly hammered in the storm. I could not see more than a metre in front of me in the rain that we had.

Luckily all persons and property survived unscathed and the in-laws have yet another story to tell of their adventures up north.

Tony T

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:53:02 am »
I can't even get near his house as every third tree is down

Calling Paul..............  ;D

Glad to hear you lot aren't too knocked about.  :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
It's as if Classic Dirt was being held in Queensland at the moment ;D

Maybe mother nature is saving something better for the June weekend :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 10:11:13 am »
too far for me tony :P

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 10:30:42 am »
i'm over the west side of town and it's just been heavy rain here with minimal damage in my area.
this would be the most significant turn in the weather i've seen for the last few years up this way, so here's hoping we'll see a little more water in our damn and these restrictions get lifted.
on a more serious note, one man lost his life on sunday as he was swept up in a storm water drain. his body was later recovered. a harsh reality of what can happen in this type of weather.
so it's not just trees.
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 01:07:28 pm »
vandy, did you see the drain the guys were in?? it is a tragic result yes but there is something to be said about not placing yourself in such a high risk situation in the first place. (saye he who rides bikes flat out ::)) Seriously, the drain was grated over to keep people out and the only way out was the entrance in, they should have realized that the risk was considereable as they were adults and not kids.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:09:17 pm by Doc »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:03:01 pm »
agreed Doc.
the water comes in so fast in these storms that drains are NOT the place to be hangin around.
a tough lesson.
"flat bickie"

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:34:06 pm »
Doc n EVO its .. busier than a cat trying to bury a shit on a marble slab   ;D
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '