Author Topic: Non Vintage,but motocross all the same.Prumm's career could be over after crash  (Read 1278 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Prumm's career could be over after crash
NZPA - November 17, 2008, 6:33 pm

Katherine Prumm's motocross career could be over but that doesn't concern the two-time world champion.

All that matters right now is whether she will walk freely again.

The 20-year-old has emerged with her spirits mending but her spine still tender after three hellish days in North Shore Hospital leading up to a six-hour operation yesterday.

A training accident in west Auckland last Thursday saw Prumm fracture her back in three places, endure a nightmare ambulance experience and then watch on helplessly for several days as medical staff assessed a delicate surgery scenario.

But it is the memory of the accident itself that is most vivid for the Pukekohe rider, who jumped to the top of the world as a teenager in 2006 and 2007.

After mistiming a jump, she landed heavily and plummeted 3m off the track, landing head-first next to a creek with the bike crashing on to her back.

"I couldn't move my legs for about a minute, it was the most terrifying thing to go through," Prumm told NZPA today from her hospital bed.

"I never, ever want to be in a wheelchair and that was just running through my mind over and over.

"I was a bit out of it at the time but my friend said that I was screaming and screaming."

Fortunately, training partner and New Zealand junior rider Ethan Martens was on hand, but there was drama to follow when he attempted to call an ambulance.

All vehicles from nearby stations were attending a traffic accident, leaving Prumm lying in agony for 40 minutes as an ambulance made its way from Te Atatu.

"When the ambulance did finally arrive, it took another 15 minutes to get me out of the track because they can't go over bumps with a spinal injury, so that was pretty terrifying.

"They didn't want to rush so it was another hour to get me to the hospital.

"It would be the scariest thing I've ever gone through and it's the worst pain I've ever had."

Upon arrival at the hospital she was seen by five doctors and after a multitude of scans and X-rays, surgeons decided on the best way to operate on the three fractured vertebrae, none of which were consecutive.

They fused each of the unstable vertebrae to stable ones above and below.

"It (the operation) took a lot of thought and they didn't know what was going to happen," she said.

"Up until today I was pretty freaked out but as far as I'm aware it has gone well.

"I'm still flat on my back and I'll be fitted with a brace to wear for the next three months."

P rumm is to attempt sitting up tomorrow but beyond that she has no idea what her future holds in terms of mobility, let alone whether she will ever return to the sport she loves.

She had been training in preparation for a tilt at the 2009 world title.

Her 2008 campaign began promisingly when she signed a lucrative deal with Yamaha but a knee injury and broken collarbone ended her hopes of a third crown.

Now a far more serious injury may bring the end to a career that promised plenty.

"As far as recovery goes, I haven't really been told too much yet, about walking or riding," she said.

"I think I'm more anxious to find out whether I'll be all right or not.

"Not a lot else matters at the moment."
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Bad news that DJ, Hope she recovers well, theres been a few hurt pretty bad in practice, Aint much room for error at that level i guess   :(

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Everyones worst fear.
I saw her ride the Oceania at Barrabool, very smooth & fast.
Hope she recovers okay.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

TM BILL

Iv'e been privileged to know Katherine and her family for some years,I  wish Katherine a speedy and full recovery. Katherine is a lovley  young woman who is very humble about her achievments and a great rider and role model.

Katherine has won her many titles through her incredible work ethic , drive and determination and these same qualities will see her through this horrific injury.

Katherine started her MX career on a VMX bike , a CR 80 twin shock so i consider her to have a VMX connection  :)

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
  :( I'm too far out of it to know the young Lady involved but it sounds as though the tumble was tough enough without having to wear the bike.    Our Best Wishes for a speedy recovery,      T250.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
I reckon adrenaline is one of the best invention in the human body for pain.
Next of course is sucking on the morphine pipe.  ;D
Best wishes to Katherine Prumm on her recovery.  8)
Best is in the West !!