Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 3560 times)

Oppet

Hello all
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:07:02 pm »
Hi

Ive just got into classic racing here in finland and bought my first husky after about 10 years of street bikes.
So ive been looking for place like this to help on my bike, that is frankenbike with 78 cr250 engine and 80 wr frame that has been modified at rear, now it has 300mm stroke at back and soon in front too.

T
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:10:25 pm by Oppet »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:49 pm »
Hey I have a buddy called Ola from Finland who is currently cutting up a 78 Husky and putting a Yamaha TT500 motor in it.

Some kind of nordic thing I guess  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:33:48 pm »
Finland!
That reminds me - there was an International VMX event I was dead keen to attend but reality got in the way.
I'll have to do search to find the thread. Was it October? Did you know about this one Oppet?
Love to see some photos and results.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Oppet

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:42:22 pm »
Hi

Yes I was in Heinola, just looking and getting my crossflu worse.
Heres some picture links

http://virpimiettinen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/

http://makkonen.jopu.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2047

http://www.karttiala.com/

http://www.kymalainen.net/

and results from...  http://www.enymind.fi/results/cmdn2008/cmdn2008_saturday/
Sunday was finlands classic motocross cup with lots of drivers outside finland
http://www.enymind.fi/results/cmdn2008/cmc2008_sunday/

T

P.s it was 15-16.9.08
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:46:47 pm by Oppet »

mx250

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:23:29 pm »
This guy is either very very good, very very brave or very very stupid. Or the the old Jawa is very very modified. :D ;) ;D

Oppet

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:40:49 pm »
He is really really fast! my eyes allmost dropped when I saw him going with standard looking jawa.

P.s metisse jawa?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:09:28 pm by Oppet »

mx250

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »
Thats a great series of photos Oppet. Thanks for the links.

Thats a great circuit for VMX. I guess we 'should have been there' ::).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:02 pm »
He is really really fast! my eyes allmost dropped when I saw him going with standard looking jawa.

P.s metisse jawa?

geeez he's the man, LTS is for pussies I guess/ ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:02:25 pm »
If I had a brain  >:( about 3 years ago I saw a bike like that Jawa  at our local tip and passed on it  :o  :'( .jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

firko

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 05:41:19 pm »
I once made a bet that if Anthony Suttor can win a trophy in pre '65 on a 200cc Bultaco Campero, I could do it on a Jawa Californian. I purchased the Czech shitbox and went about knocking about 30kg of Eastern Bloc mild steel out of it and fitting CZ forks and wheels. I then approached Jawa wizard Dave Morris and asked him if he could squeeze some neddies out of the old thing. When he stopped laughing he politely informed me that he was merely a simple backyard tuner, and not an engineering genius. He told me that because of the less than adequate port arrangement it'd be an almost impossible task to extract any serious horsepower from the engine and that the pipes to suit would have to be about 12 feet long! I sold the bike to Ray Atkins not long after and paid Anthony the 10 bucks wager.

There was however a guy in Victoria who actually raced a pretty nice Jawa Californian that looked similar to the one above. He had CZ forks and wheels and the bike performed pretty impressively for what it was. It had an amazing WAAA WAAA WAAA exhaust note and the weirdest gear spacing. You could hear the bikes note echoing all over the Mortlake track where I saw it race back in the mid 90s.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »
This guy is either very very good, very very brave or very very stupid. Or the the old Jawa is very very modified. :D ;) ;D

if any body else was at moorebank early 60s the would remember les fisher rounding up all & sundry on one of those, it is a jawa factory scrambler. i built one with factory specs [almost and it caused me frustration with czech electrics plus a massive bruise bruise when it blew a cranckase seal on the top of sorbent hill.i since am very suspicious about 2 strokes!    cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 10:27:12 pm »
furthermore on that subject{after saying welcome to Oppet] more memories on that machine of mine, i bought it from a friend who stuck it in the front mudguard of an FJ in church st paramatta [fortunately with little ill effect to himself]  after straightening the forks i lengthened the swinging arm and got old snowy rodgers to lace up some dkw 19 inch rims.the fork dampers worked in a far superior manner to the forks on my 500 ajs which was my usual mount at moorebank.on enquiry Blair Harley provided detailed specs on modifications to porting in line with the scrambler model.[i suspect key elements were deleted] one feature the road model had was that the clutch could be disengaged by pressure on the gear lever which i left as-was in the mistaken belief that it would give me an advantage in the hand on head start. it didn't! what did happen was the gear lever was so heavy that when i rode over the waves in the sand section the gear lever bounced up und down making the clutch slip!

firko

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
Wally....What Blair probably forgot to tell you is that the compy model Jawa and the Californian were as similar as a Bantam and a Goldy. There are about five extra ports in the comp version for a start. Blair was never great with the details was he mate? ;D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »
Wally....What Blair probably forgot to tell you is that the compy model Jawa and the Californian were as similar as a Bantam and a Goldy. There are about five extra ports in the comp version for a start. Blair was never great with the details was he mate? ;D
     Things like, would you believe, the worlds longest stroke ,,a BRONZE BUSH !!?? for the little end!,the kick start lever became the gear lever when you pushed the shaft with your heel which meant that if you hung on with your feet the gear lever flopped around aimlesly! and then there was the glorious PAL ignition! it handled ok but it didn't go fast enough to matter. i can still can vividly remember i shut off at the critical moment at the top of sorbent hill andthe c/case seal blew out i sailed into orbit !when i hit the ground a picker upper came over and said "take it a bit easier mate the top A graders dont try that that fast!"    memories.