Author Topic: Anyone remember Calder park motocross in early 70s Roger Decoster etc  (Read 1314 times)

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Dad was there at calder and asked if anyone else remembers Decoster and Adolf etc?
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember Calder park motocross in early 70s Roger Decoster etc
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:20:11 pm »
Was racing Sub Juniors (14-16yrs on 125s) that had just started up.  At the time Friend of mine Stephen Ireland's (used to rides Bultys) Dad was in the car game and Tony Rule had just switched from selling cars to motorbikes and had a shop on Nepean highway at what they called the Golden Mile (Reg Hunt motors was the biggy) Tony was very good mates with Trevor Flood who was in the partnership of the shop. They hosted a party/promo night at his shop just before they rode on the weekend. Got to go with Stephen and were blown away with some of the party antics. most boys having a drink and doing monos and burnouts on a little SL70 or XR70. Went to Calder on the weekend and it was hot, dry flat and dusty. really pretty shit. Euro boys far too quick. Seemed to get caught up more trying to cop a feel of the new girlfriend. Bugger should have copncentrated more on the bikes. Priorities for all 14 year olds are always intersting. Have much fonder memories of the Rally-cross events at Calder. Watching Gary Adams wheelie the length of the straight on the Suzujki rocket was fantastic, or Karl Morlang in hot pursuit or even Clarry Jones racing a hagon jap as his YamahaMX blew up the night before at Bendigo's flat track. Pity about the jumps though. hagon got over them for 2 laps then became 2 bits. Just as a post script I have an autgraph book with most of the riders from the tour from that night. It also has the 66 Stkilda Premiership team from the Thursday training beforehand. Maybe the kids will get a buck for it one day, or it might just slip in the jacket pocket if I'm in the box. Really for all the hype and the pioneering it wasn't a great success. At least I think their bikes went back home on time which couldn't be said of the great Road racing spectacular at Avalon/Laverton air base with Agostini and the like. Damn that was another hot, dry, flat but not dusty race day.
Rosco