Poll

Should OzVMX have a separate For Sales/Wanted system?

Yes please, it's much better that way.
16 (43.2%)
No thanks, it's easier to use the forum.
7 (18.9%)
I'm undecided, feel free to do what you like.
7 (18.9%)
I ride a Honda.
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: OzVMX Classies Closed  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
OzVMX Classies Closed
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:15 pm »
We've had a problem with the Classifieds system so I've had to close it down. But never fear, it will be back asap. I hope to have things happening again in the next few days.

However, I will probably take the opportunity to replace it with a different system that works better. Sadly, that will mean all existing ads will be lost, so if you have an advert in the system you'll need to do it all over again. You'll probably need to re-register too. Still, given it's all free I guess a little pain isn't too bad...

Tony T

Re: OzVMX Classies Closed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 07:31:47 am »
Do we actually need both that one and the one here?
I keep forgetting the other one is there...............  ???

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:59:23 am »
I know what you mean.

The benefit of a separate system is that you can search better, view ads by category and so on. On the forum stuff kinda rolls off the bottom. The downside is you gotta look somewhere else and it requires two separate registrations and logins. I guess what I could do is just create the same categories on here.

How about a quick poll? Just post your vite at the top of the screen...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:02:12 am by Graeme M »

STW996

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:22:40 am »
I have no comment I ride a Honda But you deliver a great FREE service Graeme so the decession sould always be yours.

Shane

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:02 am »
I kinda agree with Shane.
If it saves you admin time and disc space, I personally don't mind just keeping the forum based one.
But I do see the advantages of the other now that you mention it.  ???
That didn't help much........

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:34 am »
It seems to me that a lot of people would visit the OZVMX site that really aren't interested in the forum, therefore the classifieds would have much more limited exposure, I know of enthusiests that were familiar with the classifieds but have been totaly unaware of the forum.

Limiting the classifieds to the forum would be better for us forum members, but not better for the value of our bikes or for the good of the hobby.

All said, it is Graeme's decision, and his work is mostly done unrewarded, so maybe its an oportunity for someone else to take over one side of it to split the workload/expenses?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:41:56 am by E74 »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:47:48 am »
i was in the i dont go over there camp its somthing i forget to do, but after reading E74 post i must agree, most mainstream sellers and buyers would blow in and out of the Vmx link and they dont have to join up just to browse. 

testiment is that the classifieds over in there seem to be very differant in content to the request or sales in here. 

so in thinking about it,  i think seperate is actually going to get better results.   More volume and access ability over there, and focussed specific little bits like 390 kickstart rubbers over here  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:51:37 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 06:56:00 am »
OK, after hunting around for an alternatiove I haven't found anything that's any good and free. So I have decided to go with an upgraded version of the same system I have been using. It has shortcomings (for me especially), but it has also been improved.

I hope to roll it out tomorrow, but in the meantime, if anyone would like to register on it and submit an advert or two to test it, I'd appreciate the help. Remember, I approve all ads so anything you submit will take a little while to appear (that will depend on me getting time at work to dive in and do it!)

http://www.ozvmx.com/adverts

STW996

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:12:02 am »
I don't ride a Honda but Montesa were taken over by Honda so I guess, yeah, I ride a Honda.....of sorts...... What was the question again? :-\

Funny I understood that ;)

And E74 is on the money with his comment

Shane

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 11:41:28 am »
i think both is a good idea
you can put full ad in classifieds
and a small ad on forum to tell people its there ;D
and the honda bit should have been included in undecided ;D ;D we know what honda boys are like ;D
follow me to first turn

Quicksilver

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 03:53:29 pm »
E74 nailed it.  ;)

I have placed wanted adds in forum and it not so great for the rarer, hard to get items..
Place the same add in classies with excellent results. 9 times outta 10 classies work, forum wanted section yeld much lower result. That said, I have also found much need parts on forum as well but classies work so much better. Most of classie replies I have recieved are from people who dont go the near the forum. I asked them  :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:49 pm »
i dont mind as long as you dont get rid of the one on the forum
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:46:35 am »
OK. It looks like it all works fine, so we are now live again.

http://www.ozvmx.com/classies

Anyone wanting to use the system will need to (re)register and post their ads...