Author Topic: Hello all, newbie here  (Read 2130 times)

Denis

Hello all, newbie here
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »
Hello folks,
Denis here, from the US. A couple of months ago I got my first trials bike, a Montesa Cota 247, which had been sitting in a shed for years. Cleaned the carb, jerry rigged a throttle repair, replaced all the fluids and rode it in the woods for 4 hours.
I was surprised how sore I was the next day. Trials riding isn't a joke!
As soon as I got back, I put on a new Amal Trials throttle assembly and that made a world of difference.
Still working the kinks out of the old bike though. Worked on the clutch basket a bit, but that bike will not pull up a hill from a dead stop although on level ground it will do whatever I want. There's a rod knock and I probably need to re-ring it at least, but it's a fun bike for sure.
Anyway, glad to be here.
Denis

mx250

Re: Hello all, newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:23:21 pm »
Ditto what I just said to Brad, sounds like you'll fit right in.

Yeah, even Yanks are allowed ;) 8). We have very loose standards around here otherwise two thirds would be excluded ::). So long as you are into old Dirt bikes; if ya ride 'em, race 'em, fix 'em, restore 'em, crash 'em, even if can remember 'em, barely, if you can tell outragous lies about 'em, or certified insane, or even if you are just blokie enough to enjoy a beer and tell dirty jokes (no pun intended :), much ;D) you'll fit right in.   

Welcome ;D.;

Actually you show a lot of class owning and riding RT's ;D

Being a Monty Owner you have even more class than Brad ;D (I'm resto'ing a VB360 Cappra ::)).

Jared Bates of SW Montesa is a regular visitor here. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out with any advice regarding the Monty. Maybe a few Trials riding tips too; I think he's an adapt hand at Trials. 

The physical aspect of riding trials is not so obvious is it?  The physical of controling and muscleing a bouncing speeding MX'er or enduro bike is pretty obvious to all. But riding oh so accurately by counterbalancing a trials bike by hanging out to one side or the other for several seconds really gives the old bod a work out doesn't it ;).

Looking forward to your contributions: don't be shy ;D.

Denis

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:18 am »
Thanks!
Glad to know Yanks are still welcomed somewhere outside the continental US, but I'm sure if your standards were tightened in the slightest I'd be thrown out.  ;D

When I started looking around for a vintage trials bike I pretty quickly realized the selection is fairly limited, especially in the southeast US. Basically, you have your choice of Sherpas, Yamahas, a few Hondas and the occasional Cota. Since the Cotas were the least common, they were obviously appealing. Hmm, SUCKER!

Yeah, I was not prepared for what's involved with riding it and though my time on it is very limited so far, it's a blast!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:44 pm »
Gidday Denis from the USA; another reminder the internet is making the World a smaller place.
I came very close to buying a vintage trials bike myself, but a chance visit to a VMX meet convinced me I should go back to what I know.
Given time (and funds) I'll buy one eventually.

There's a few trials fans on the forum so I'm sure you'll feel at home. ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Denis

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:28:27 am »
Hello to you as well. Trials is pretty new to me and I've never ridden an MX bike at all, but I am also working on a Ducati 450 R/T, their last big dirtbike sold only in the US. Should be fun!

I've poked around a couple of the trials threads and they look good!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:05:51 pm »
...I am also working on a Ducati 450 R/T, their last big dirtbike sold only in the US...
I've poked around a couple of the trials threads and they look good!

If you're interested you'll find a couple of pages here on the Duke 450 in the Marque remarks/Italian section.
The thread is called 'Ducati - is it a trail bike or what?' from March 08.
These photos were taken at my work; we talking the same bike?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Denis

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:03 pm »
Morning!
Yes, that's the Ducati all right! That one is yours? It sure is a nice one, with the light kit and everything!
I'll check out that thread: info on them doesn't fall out of trees around here. I can't even get a halfway decent production number on them.
Thanks!
Denis

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:27:13 am »
No, not mine (I wish). I saw it parked at work so I grabbed the camera...

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:18 am »
Welcome Denis. These Aussie's are an ok bunch of blokes. Uh oh....I'm starting to talk like them!

I'm looking forward to seeing a Cota or 2 this weekend at a big SMOG gathering in Illinois.

Denis

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:48:50 am »
You say "bloke" with a Chicago accent...  ::)
What's the big SMOG gathering? Sounds interesting! Take lots of pics, especially of Cotas!

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:03:21 am »
Nope. Chicago is another state man. I'm a southern boy!

Denis

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:20:36 am »
A southern boy, eh? NC?