Author Topic: Easter at Broadford  (Read 8668 times)

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Easter at Broadford
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:26:49 am »
Hi guys,
Drakie here, as you've heard I'm helping organise the Honda Broadford (Old) Bike Bonanza for MA. OK, I've sold my soul for 'rock and roll' but this thing is just going to be a hoot. I'm on the MA Museum and Heritage committee with Lindsay Urquart, Jim Scaysbrook, Mick Pettifer and Ian Hopkins as I wanted some dirt experience on it (although Jim is a legend in the dirt). We are trying to build a museum of important Australian racing motorcycles (MA owns 12 already),programs, photos and magazines but the Board was keen to explore other ways of funding it. So, this idea came up.
HBBB will be held at Easter 2009 (April 11-12) at the MV State Motorcycle Complex, Broadford. To say that this event will be ‘bigger than Ben Hur’ lets you know the old mindset we are in and how BIG this event will be. We know that quite often, enthusiasts of old motorcycles don’t just limit themselves to one discipline and often dabble in other areas. With this in mind, the Museum and Heritage Committee of Motorcycling Australia has planned a ‘Woodstock’ event (there we go again, more geriatric references) to draw out enthusiasts with old and rare motorcycles that haven’t been seen at race events. We realise there are many riders and owners of old machines for whom racing doesn’t appeal at all, and we are trying to draw out these enthusiasts to this event so we can all share their passion. As the Easter weekend will be non-competitive ride days, you will be able to ride whatever pre 1985 machine you bring; whether it is an old road bike, a road racer, speedway iron, dirt track weapon, enduro hack, a scramble bike – thumper or screamer, or a virtuoso trials mount. All tracks will be open at differing times on the weekend, so, if you can convince someone to lend you a bike to ride in a branch of the sport you might be interested in but have never tried, now’s your chance. Yes that’s right. For a mere $60 plus your MA licence or a $22 event rec licence, you can ride any style motorcycle on the track that’s suitable for it. MV have recently bought 44 acres of adjoining bush and a vintage enduro event will be run on the Saturday. A featured display and ride of Metisse scramble machines on the Sunday will take place on the old ‘Channel O’ track. As Honda has stepped up to the plate for our event we will be featuring some Honda exotica on track as well as static displays of Honda road, race, mini and dirt bikes. Special ‘Star Sessions’ are scheduled throughout the weekend when invited celebrities will be doing demo laps on exotic machinery.
‘You will meet the nicest people’ at the HONDA Broadford Bike Bonanza.
Give it a go guys,
Drakie.
www.ma.org.au/hbbb

YSS

Re: Easter at Broadford
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:52:36 am »
How much did you sell your soal for Drakie? ;) ;)

Yamaboy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:38 am »
The Kevlar Kompound will be in attendance in a slightly smaller but equally enthusiastic guise. As well as the Metisses we're bringing the road race tackle (Manx Norton and ESO/Manx) and Jonsys speedway stuff. In addition Tim is going to join us with his sidecars. Firkos debuting his new Cheney and he reckons B&S Suzuki and DT1 Metisse but we've got doubts on the Metisse seeing that he doesn't even have it yet! Jonesys bringing the CCM out of a 15 year hibernation and Phippsy's going to bring his ex Eddie Lawson OW 750 Yamaha flat tracker and new 750 Triumph Metisse. The lure of the big dinner on Saturday nite means that the Kevlettes will be coming this time so the Sauvignon Blanc output will add to the usual Margarita/Kozel consumption. They've been instructed to keep their pants on .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:26:15 am by Yamaboy »

mx250

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:17 am »
‘You will meet the nicest people’ at the HONDA Broadford Bike Bonanza.

Even if some of them seem a little 'soul less' ;). (Sorry Drakie, but you were 'leading with a glass jaw' ;D).

'The power be with you' Drakie 8). I reckon its a great idea. I hope everyone here and throughout the Motorcycling Fraternity get behind the idea.

My only concern for you and the idea is that you are coming off ground zero, or maybe even a little below ground zero (with resentment and resistance).  But hey, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling, all those hardnosed opinionated independent minded people that become motorcyclists and motorcycle racers. They wouldn’t be motorcyclists or racers if they weren’t hardnosed opinionated independent minded ::).

I think the success will be rated when you pull in spectators and particpants other than the ‘usual suspects’ – Mr & Mrs Joe Blow from the Shopping Malls, the young guys on their pocket rockets and all the week end warriors on their DRz’s and Chinese Pit Bikes.

No promises, I not sure where my finances will be next week let alone next Easter :P, but I’ll try to be there, complete with 'Lazarus' the mighty restored VB360 ;D.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:34:57 am by mx250 »

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:37 pm »
Sounds good Drakie i will be there with as many bikes and riders i can muster up .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

firko

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:24:50 pm »
Firkos debuting his new Cheney and he reckons B&S Suzuki and DT1 Metisse
I'd like the DT1 Metisse to be done fo the Metisse show at Broadford but the older I get, the slower I am at building these bikes. The Cheney is gonna be there and if Jens is reasonably quick with the Suzuki 400 engine rebuild the Boyd and Stellings be there as well.
We've managed to achieve the impossible and have found a house in Broadford for the weekend which'll keep female Kevlars happy.
 I know there's still a lot of anti MA vibe out there and that's swaying some peoples willingness to attend the Bonanza. I've been critical of MA and their attitude to the dirt and vintage dirt side of our sport for years and, like many of you have wondered aloud "what have they done for us". Well, here is a perfect example that maybe they are now prepared to actually do something for the "little guy" bike enthusiast. Because this is exactly the kind of event that appeals to me, I'll be there with bells on. This doesn't in the slightest indicate that I'm showing any disloyalty to our beloved Classic Dirt either. That event will always be my and the Kevlars true first choice. I'm (and the Kevlars) just supporting another event that's geard towards our idea of having fun on dirt bikes. It'll purely give us an opportunity to have fun on our dirt track, speedway and road race bikes as well as our motocross machines. This'll be fun.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:32:55 pm »
Hey Rossco you will need your Vinduro bike also or you will miss the first round.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:44:10 pm »
I will have something Rossco ,how bout a XR250 ??? you will be able to show how to pull a decent mono on one while standing on the seat ???.
Viper #436

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »
the sisters lol

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:35 pm »
Oh yeah we are gonna need a trials bike coz i havent got one .
Viper #436

mx250

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:33 pm »
Firko. We'll meet finally!  ;)  ;D[/color]

Uh Oh!!!

;D

YSS

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:44 pm »
Thats Monza Park  near the start gate is it ?

firko

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:10:54 pm »
I've been known to hug grown men on first meeting Mark
Ross, I'm a huggable big puppy. There's a Czech beer with your name on it in the Kompound

firko

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 01:36:42 pm »
English Breakfast, Darjeeling or that old favourite with the Spanish bike true believers, Lan Choo? The Cocoa Fluffies may make a longed for appearance as well. There's also a good chance of a Monty making an appearance in the Kompound if he can fit it in the trailer.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 04:02:23 pm »
Hey tea totters,  Which airport in Melbourne is the closest,coming from Perth WA /Cheers thanks.
Best is in the West !!