Author Topic: Zinc plating  (Read 3497 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Zinc plating
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:09:35 pm »
I would like to know if the thread of D.I.Y. zinc, cad or whatever plating has been brought up before.
If not has anyone tried it? I have seen many kits advertised over the years but have been happy enough to leave it to the professionals.
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Zinc plating
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:14:21 pm »
i usually get a load of zinc plating done every couple weeks. After cleaning and wiring brushing each item i send it off to Adelaide and it gets done there. its cheaper, easier and quicker that way then to stuff around with DIY kits
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:20 pm »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=820.0
You have to enjoy "tinkering"  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
Hey Leith. Are you happy to share info on who you use?
Either that, or I'm just as happy to go through you if you prefer.

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »
Small items are ok in the DIY kits ....nuts  & bolts. Larger items ( brake peddle - axles  ) are better off been done by the professionals

I have designed my own kit and so have many other forum members ( as per old VMX site )
They are quite easy to make
2  Zinc blocks       from   BCF        they are on the positive side        
 Battery acid
 Dc voltage charger   2.5 - 4 - 6 - 8 volt steps    ( dick smith or tandys )
 window cleaner
 zinc solution  &  blue dip          buy of your local plater  

Part being plated hangs off the negative side

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:16:37 pm »
yeah thats fine Tony, its Birrell Platers in Adelaide. They do a good job. Send everything in one lot it will cost the same amount for 5 bolts as it does to get everything on a bike done. After about 5kgs worth the price goes up though. Take a photo/record of all the little parts just to make sure you get everything back.

after speaking to my plater a few times he said there is sort of a few tricks and a bit of an art to getting good finishes, and not everything can be just chucked in a tub and left for so long and thats it. different parts need to be inspected for coverage and some bits may take longer than others. Any way the guys i use have been doing for many many years and they know what they are doing. They can do all the different colours, gold, silver, black etc.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:23:47 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
Thanks mate.  ;D

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:13 pm »
Thanks for the input - I have always used a good company in Sydney (Bluchrome) and another (Westwood Winters) but was curious to see about a kit so when you have that stupid left over part or one you have had to machine up, you can quickly get the job done for one or two parts.
A while back there was a list taking shape on the forum re suppliers of parts and services - not sure if it is still somewhere on here?
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

mx250

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:07 pm »
This is $30 of Bright Zinc done be Bluchrome.

I did look at DIY but decided against because of small saving offset by dangerous acids, storage and workspace etc and a gauranteed better job.

STW996

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 11:21:02 am »
Yeah Graeme, I get zinc plating done here in Brisbane and it works out at around 50.00 per bike including spokes, axles, bolts, springs etc, don't even have to clean just take to them as is and come back A1 for that price why would you look at DIY.

Just make sure you wire all the nipples to a piece of mig wire or alike so they don't get lost.

Shane

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 03:13:20 pm »
any one know any good platers in vic
MUGEN power

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:43:16 pm »
Bendigo Electroplating does a very good job! Their zinc plating in bight (blue), gold and black is excellent and cheap. Their chrome plating is sought after by regional hotrod and Harley people and restorers.
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:02 pm »
I do all my own plating, much better results than a plating shop because my tanks are absolutely pure with no contamination, I never loose anything! and If I need something plated its done 20 minutes later.