Author Topic: QVMX go Pre '90  (Read 33753 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: QVMX go Pre '90
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200258219799

Yes its ended, but I bought 2 sets off him earlier and then he posted those 4 up. The parts are still out there, its just a matter of searching and sometimes searching in different ways.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43:03 am »
If a particular club in Oz wants to do pre '90, so what. If it is what the membership wants, then that's what it will be. Does that decision influence my thinking on the future of Vintage motocross? Nope. Everyone is so worried about the "future" of "the sport" and think they have the answers. They don't. And those that claim they do, are they concerned with the sports future or trying to satisfy their own ends? Dunno, don't care. I remember some years ago the QVMX club were considering whether to allow the pre '85 bikes to run in the club. I wrote to a Mr Black (I think) who was asking for comment so I wrote and told him how the WA guys were running their club (pre '75 only, no trophies, etc.) and that perhaps the decision to include post '75 would not be in the best interests of pre '75. I never did here back from him.

I'm just glad that I live in WA where the local club knows the real meaning of Vintage motocross racing - preserving an important MX era. That support continues to grow each year. The club now has 175 members with 125 of them riding at our annual club event at Wandering this year. They don't race for gongs or rewards, only the satisfaction of racing against mates, grouped in classes of the same ability. The emphasis is on participation. Always has, always will be. Everyone from age 18 to 80 rides in this club and they all ride with the same passion and enthusiasm. The club is so passionate that a few members and the club paid for Jiri Starec and Jasroslav Falta to come and have a ride at Wandering and then again at Narrogin. There are no trophy hunters getting their ambition mixed up with their ability, so the racing, though spirited, is not a do-or-die affair. We all (most of us that is) have to go to work the next day. The Nationals is where the riders go to get their competition thrills and from past history, riders from WA have always supported the Nationals with the same passion werever they may be in Oz.

The original committee of the VMXWA club established early in clubs life that the only threat to the pre '75 club was to introduce the later classes. This was written into the club constitution and they were spot on. Quite simply, the later model bikes are just plain easier to ride and given a choice we all like things to be easy. The older bikes will then be simply left in the shed. The club is then committed to the never ending treadmill of updating eras - that of including more and more modern machines (as they are already 20 years old type logic!). You've missed the point if you think like that. 

Perhaps the issue is that on the East coast there are not enough Vintage only clubs? Are the events mainly run by promoting clubs? I this is the case then there emphasis is on maximising numbers - therefore including as many eras in this VMX scene is the motivation. Was there not a club being formed in NSW just for pre '75? The tyranny of distance to tracks (and the availability of tracks) may be an influence as to why this single era club concept is too hard to get off the ground?

Another issue is that of the MA Classic MX commission getting hold of the idea and putting pre '90 into the GCR's. Then any club that wanted to run a Classic Motocross Nationals would have to run all classes of Classic Motocross - from pre' 60 through to pre '90. All on the one track?! Even now anyone wanting to run the Nationals "shall" run all classes as per GCR's. I've always thought that the Nationals should be split up into pre '75 and post '75 - but that is another topic for discussion.

There were several mentions of the VMXWA club in this post, hence my interest. I don't think that they have all the answers to the question of running a successful pre '75 club, but I think they are running pretty well at the moment - in 2010 it will the clubs 15th anniversary. The question was also asked "where will they be in 10 years time"? I reckon in 10 years time the VMXWA club will be doing exactly what it is doing now, having fun on old bikes - pre '75 with 7" and 4" of travel (unless some bright spark wants to start to include pre '85 bikes).

And, if this site is still going, I reckon there'll be an ongoing debate about including 2000 model bikes in this "Vintage' Motocross sport ...."because that's what I relate to"  or "I can't get a piston for my 92 YZ450". Sorry for the length of this post. Good luck.

Doc

« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2008, 02:36:57 am »
that was a good read thanks Bert. I'm keepng my nose out of this topic as it doesn't affect me but remember this everyone.
We, the older, more mature generation are the driving force behind vintage motocross. We dictate which models are desirable and we restore and ride bikes we grew up on. As our generation gets older and more and more of the older riders hang up the boots do you not think the numbers in the older classes will suffer and much interest and passion will be lost forever? As younger riders age their perspective of the ideal vintage MXer will not be something from the 70's God forbid, that was well before they were even born! How many of us are into bikes older than ourselves?? Times are a changing and I feel the future of vintage MX is out of our hands regardless and we should enjoy what we have while we have it. Lifes too short and as much as it's nice to think of the future and preservation of our era's the majority of us are already over 40 and past midlife. Just ride and enjoy what we have and love and let others do the same when their time comes ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:44:35 am by Doc »

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2008, 05:13:38 pm »
Russell I will grow my hair long as per era as long as you tell us where you get your hair dyed?

mainline

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »
"his" hair, you mean it's real??

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »
I basically agree with the lets split it all theme - pick a number but say pre and post 75!!!  Cannot and shouldn't be run together (although Tassie did a brilliant job of that!!!).

I also agree with Firko - I basically had to redo a YZ360B motor all the way through - with only somewhere around 1100 made world wide I would of thought parts were hard to get - nup - not a thing I couldn't get including several spares at very reasonable prices - and of course the usual help from the "VMX Community" needs mention as well.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2008, 11:50:32 pm »
i just had an interesting thought while reading Docs post above,
when you take a look around the pre~75 crowd, nearly everyone can rebuild a motor with a toothpick.
the pre-90 boys? well...? i think the bike shops may see a 2nd wave of flouro pink customers ;D
"flat bickie"

STW996

« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2008, 06:53:07 am »
i just had an interesting thought while reading Docs post above,
when you take a look around the pre~75 crowd, nearly everyone can rebuild a motor with a toothpick.
the pre-90 boys? well...? i think the bike shops may see a 2nd wave of flouro pink customers ;D

Got to dis-agree Vandy, we had our 84 250 do a crank 5 days before leaving for classic dirt 5, had it apart on Monday, to Serco on Tuesday (for a rebore) and back running with a new crank / rod and going Wednesday ease of parts availability is got to be a plus for us pre 90 nappy wear's hey ;D ;D (flouro pink and orange nappies at that :D)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2008, 11:36:26 am »
orright Shane,
i'll cop that one on the chin... :-[
"flat bickie"

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2008, 03:01:53 pm »
Don't roll over that easy Vandy, most of would have filed the bore out with a rat tail round file, and fired up our blacksmith furnaces and beaten the crank into shape, comon, how can you send something to a repair shop?? ;D
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »
lokking forward to that side of it-most cant adjust a chain or know what a airfilters job in life is. re parts availabilty  tried to order a water pump impeller for a  early yz250 no longer available  same for some cr 250 power valve parts

oldfart

« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:04 pm »
WTF a power valve  ;D   

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:53 pm »
I had to laugh the other day I was doing an enduro at Kyogle on the 465, and just before I was due to go on, she started to splutter and I realised due to the height above sea level I needed to drop one main jet size and drop the needle I started feavorishly opening the carb and my 12 year old son says "Is it broken dad what parts do we need to fit and what shop would be open now on a Sunday" I guess todays kids are parts fitters no more filing adjusting ...
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2008, 05:36:17 pm »
super hunky wrote an article in a recent VMX mag, not sure which one, he was trying to modify some bike and was talking with some bloke about something and the other fella made the comment that "no-one works on bikes these days", or something like that...
gotta love that "something" word hey...
"flat bickie"