Author Topic: Wet Abrasive Blasting - any takers???  (Read 4118 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Wet Abrasive Blasting - any takers???
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »
Right now I am looking at expanding my workshop to include a very expensive 'toy'.

We are looking at purchasing $20K plus worth of water blaster ie a wet abrasive blaster sometimes referred to as a vapour blaster which are renowned for producing the best and safest finish available with none of the problems associated with dry blasters eg dust and heavy residual build up of compacted blasting media eg in oil galleries (which should by rights be blanked off anyway). Coupled with a large capacity dry blasting cabinet, dust extraction system and Hydrovane compressor this will enable most work to be carried out at what will be very competitive pricing.

This form of blasting gets, without doubt, the very best results while maintaining a very durable and easy to maintain finish arguably better than the finish from the factory foundries. While many types of blasting media can be used it is anticipated that this machine will be a dedicated glass bead in suspension set up.

I do not anticipate relying only on the VMX or even the overall motorcycle fraternity in general as these machines can tackle virtually anything that will fit inside them and can have wide reaching industrial applications.

My question is: Will the restorers among us in VMX use this service???

Let me know what you think as your reaction will be valued as to whether the service will be made available to or targeted at the old bike crowd.

Cheers,

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Abrasive Blasting - any takers???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
depends on where you are Dave and what kind of postage hurdles will need to be jumped etc
the classic road bike builders could be a bigger more fussy market than us dirt bike guys.
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »
You've won me Dave. I've been using Impact Glass Beading, as have most of us in the west of Sydney for years but they don't offer vapor blasting. Good on you matey, you'll get work from us.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
dave its a long drive  ;)

firko

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:53:11 PM »
not for me

mx250

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »
not for me
If it good and close for you Firko its probably gonna be good for me ;).

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »
You'll get plenty from me to!~... ;)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »
Hey guys - so far so good  :)

I only posted this today and already some good responses so I am thinking I am on the right track.

As for Paul - you got to my house and back to Melbourne in one day so you are welcome to repeat the trip and of course welcome any time, lol !!!  :D

All good to date - thanks for the response so far - keep em coming and by start of business next year I'll be up and running.

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
23 hours dave there and back
ok then after yesterday. ive 5 ton of stuff for you to practise on lol
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:19:05 PM by paul »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
Sorry Dave, not trying to steal your potential customers.

But Firko, vapour blasting is available in Western Sydney. The guys at Motographics in Lidcome have set up another business to provide this service. Can't think of the name off the top of my head but a call to Motographics 9748 3164 should point you in the right direction.

It is a great process, and far superior to glass bead basting.

Good luck Dave.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
Yeh, just ask those guys for a "Big Stick" to complete the experience of dealing with them... ::)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »
E74,
I'll take it you had a bad experience with them. I haven't used them myself but i have a mate who is into restoring Z1 Kawasakis and he has nothing but praise for their service.

Oh well.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

colmoody

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
Closer to Firko than Paul...........OK I give up.

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »
I owned a garnet wet blaster when I was in buisness which I used mainly on stainless steel.The process is very succesful on any material either ferrous or non ferrous,care must be taken not to cross-contaminate the glass media . The blaster was able to creep up on areas that require a fine go over and strong enough to rid a barrel of all coatings within 10 minutes . The satin finish is non porrious unlike glass beading and a corrosion inhibiter in the solution inables  ferrous areas like a cast liner in a cylinder not to oxidize after treatment . 20k you say I can recall that the area inside the cadinet was about 1metre sq. and after some use the media lost some power  I think that unit was @ 15k in 2001/2 and Iloved it . regards Jimbo.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
Hi Jimbo - As they say "the cheque is in the mail"
Your wise words are on the money. I will be running the wet blaster as a dedicated bead only machine as I have a perfectly good conventional blaster that can accommodate much larger items, mainly for paint prep with garnet or aluminium oxide, although it is a snap to change to any preferred blasting media.
I have hit the commit button and sent the deposit off to the guy who builds the water blasters today so come mid January we should be up and running. It's internal dimensions are ample for most bike components and the dry blaster with it's 1200x900x900 capacity will deal with the rest.
If my own restoration line up is anything to go by I am sure this machine is going to see more than it's fair share of work so as soon as things are bedded in I will let everyone know, and at this stage I am thinking I may also look into doing some metal polishing as required as the wet blasting is a great prep before the buffer.
Watch this space  ;)
Cheers
Dave

BULTACO M49 parts wanted