Author Topic: Sealed main bearings?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Sealed main bearings?
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
Gents,

I noticed in Doc's post on the 125KTM that it has a sealed main brg on the RHS of crank - which of course may not be OEM

Has anybody had experiencs running sealed bearings for main brgs?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Sealed main bearings?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
the seals cannot be on the crank side in the cases as they will not be lubed at all and will seize.
most bikes have non sealed bearings and have crankcase oil seals outside of the cankcase to seal from G/box oil / air
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:55:28 am »
Yes I know that hoony.

But sealed brgs are rated at hi rpm for continuous running & of course have their own lubrication. Whether its sufficient or not is another matter.

I've never been game to run them on the crank, but wondered if anybody else has, esp when I read Docs post finding one on the KTM125 crank.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
I believe they would be sealed for industrial applications, I don't see it as logical to leave these seals in place in a motorcycle engine, even in the gearbox. It would stop the oil flowing through, I always dig these seals out before I put in an engine.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25:26 am »
Thanks GMC,

Thats my hunch too. Also the extra heat of a 2T engine. Just wonder if anybody has tried

Offline facthunt

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:36:33 am »
I have found sealed bearings in a couple of parts motors on gear shafts. The seals were noticably blistered
and the bearings well worn. Seems they get a little warm. Wouldn't recommend it.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:22:33 pm »
the bearing on the main shaft behind the clutch drum on the YZ 490 i pulled apart had the outside seal left on it but the inner seal facing inside the gearbox removed. not sure if it should be like that, my thought is to remove both seals to allow maximum oil lubrication from both the clutch side and gearbox side which is what i would normally do.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:19 am »
have run sealed bearings in all my race motor gearboxes for years,especially output shaft bearings,(where not pressure fed),basically keeps the box contaminants out,probably not a big deal in 2smoke seperate boxes,but in combined engine/box applications no probs!,actually think from memory yamaha did so in some late DT175's in the 80's,ducati certainly did!,facthunt you gotta think how hot was the rest of the box to blister the bearing seals  ???,ran my outer bearing on matcho racemotor sealed both sides,(runs two driveside mains,1 sealed ball for crank location,1 major loadbearing open roller),just my opinion,certainly works for me, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Doc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:34:49 pm »
Thanks for that Mick, I was starting to get a little worried but the sealed main bearing in the KTM donk is genuine OEM and as per parts book. While near all the pre'85 KTM125's were hand grenades this bearing was not responsible for said failures ;)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
reading matho micks comments reminds me of eh holden gearbox problems the rear race was wearing out at about 15000miles which led to after market double race bearings being fitted which lasted longer. then GM started fitting a fully sealed bearing in place,all the mechanics i knew said what bullshit that will never help.    guess what no more premaure wear!.it is an established fact that a certain amount of fine metal particles are always present in gearbox oil ,while it doesn't effect gears mutch its murder on bearings.  cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!