Author Topic: CCM on Ebay  (Read 8461 times)

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
CCM on Ebay
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
Hi there have any one seen the CCM on Aus Ebay wow what a rare find.  H

firko

Re: CCM on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:58:19 pm »
When you have a good look and it ain't what it initially seems. The frame number says it's a '73 model and the back suspension shouldn't be laid down. The top shock mount is different to the '75/76 frame. The rear loop is different to '74/75 and the '76 doesn't have a loop so it's definitely a home modified '73 frame that's been butchered quite a bit. The forks look to be AW Maico but it's hard to tell from the photo. Whatever they are, they're not right for that frame. The '73 model didn't have leading axle forks. The front wheel appears to be from a Yamaha.

Jonsey and I thought about it but reckon that it's all of its money. There's at least 5-6k to spend, probably more. The frame repairs needed are extensive and you'd have to find a very good tig welder to blend in with the original work. It's a big job and I don't think it's worth the money unless you're desperately hanging for a CCM. The current financial situation may see the high end bikes drop dramatically in price so it may pay to sit back and se what comes up over the next year or so.

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:02:26 pm »
a man of knowledge on CCM's,  the only time I ever seen one up close was when Lester Rowley blasted past me.  I will keep an eye on it.  H

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:52:06 am »
It really does look a bit of a chop-job.
The frame is March/ april 1973. Built 11 after mine. The engine number is not right. There should be more to it than that. Maybe the seller has shortened it !
As Firko has said, it will cost-a-packet to put right. It would be a nice thing to do as there are not that many 73 CCM's still running. More so as this is one of the early CCM's just after Alan changed the company name from "Clews Stroka". I have seen worse frames than this repaired and re-chromed, but it aint cheap.
On the other hand why bother when you can buy a brand new 73 frame, or even a brand new complete 73 bike. I raced the new one a couple of weeks ago. The only word I can use is ..... stunning !
The bits would be useful, and at $3K at the moment it's not a bad price. That would equate to about £1250 at today's rate. The engine is worth nearly that on it's own.
Be interesting to know what gearbox it has, and if it has the splined mainshaft.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »
Grouty you said in your responce,,,,,,,,,,, On the other hand why bother when you can buy a brand new 73 frame, or even a brand new complete 73 bike. I raced the new one a couple of weeks ago.

how much and where can I get one ??

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:57:01 pm »
HL ...... see PM
Thumpers Rule !

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 12:51:06 am »
This is me racing the brand new 73 CCM a couple of weeks ago courtesey of Mark Cook.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 06:27:18 pm »
Grouty
Who made your frame for you. Was it the 4stroke Demon group or other? Just finishing my original 73 but have 2 valve and 4 valve motors which I would like to see in a 79 Aird special.
Rosco

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »
Rosco, the new frame (and complete bikes) are from Mark Cook at PES Engineering here in the UK. From memory Mark built a bike for Jimmy Aird a few years ago. If you want his phone number or e-mail then send me a PM. I think his e-mail went something like mxfourstroke - demon . dribble .
Will have a look for it later.
I have my original works 73 and am building a replica of it. Mark has done me a one-off frame so all I really need now is a Lotto win to help me finish it.

On another note ......... I cannot see the picture I posted when I look at the post. If I then "log in" and scroll down it is there ! ............ Why ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:39:12 am »
Thanks Grouty
Same group I have been speaking to, just need to save the dollars (and thats even more now, bloody fat cats in USA) so I can place an order. Was trying to get a frame a couple of years back from another genleman in UK who said he made them, but he was impossible to deal with saying he'll make them when he has time, but never came up with anything. Are you happy with the build quality as I was going to get probably most main parts other than motor and front end as he suggested a 465 Yammie front end or similar.
Hoping one day to get to UK to see the race with only ccm's in it (Farleigh?)
Rosco

firko

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:25:53 am »
I'm not 100% certain but I seem to recall that there is another person besides Mark Cook making CCM replicas in the UK and I've seen a US made late seventies CCM replica for sale on eBay a year or so ago. Unfortunately I forgot to save the details. I've seen Mark Cooks work and it's damn good.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 08:02:29 pm »
The other person manufacturing CCM parts is Joe Maxwell Engineering up in Scotland (UK). Joe seems to have gone quiet lately. He was making a 74 replica. I have seen a couple, and they look very nice. Not what I would call a true replica, but still good.

99% of the parts Mark Cook makes will still fit straight onto the original bikes.

I did happen to notice the $AUS dollar rate yesterday when we had a shipment from Oz. Wow, has that jumped (good for us, bad for you).

The CCM only race at Farleigh seems to have got watered down over the last couple of years. Back in 2006 it was awsome, but for the last two years the class has been slipped in with other 4 strokes. Lets hope they see sense in 2009 !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 11:39:30 pm »
QUOTE from grouty :
The CCM only race at Farleigh seems to have got watered down over the last couple of years. Back in 2006 it was awsome, but for the last two years the class has been slipped in with other 4 strokes. Lets hope they see sense in 2009 !

Are you seeing many now. ?
Thanks and cheers West Aussie

are these related ?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CCM-bicycle-parts-build-kit-NOS-vintage-bike-seat-grips_W0QQitemZ260390817222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260390817222
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:58:34 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 03:57:13 am »
We are seeing a few more early CCM's now. The 4 valvers only seem to come out for special meetings !
The CCM bicycle's are nothing to do with the motorcycles !
Last weekend there were 3 '73 CCM's out. The usual 4th was missing due to the rider having just had a knee op. Not bad for a club meet.

Me, on mine. (If I have got it correct !)

Thumpers Rule !

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 08:20:46 am »
I know little of CCM's but admire from afar; here's a nice one I snapped at last years CD5 meeting. :P
Someone on the forum will know the Owner.

And Grouty, nice to see some thought put into your riding gear - only the lid appears non period - as it should be!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"