Author Topic: cr 450 r ebay  (Read 2342 times)

Quicksilver

Re: cr 450 r ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »
Heres another one with heaps of spares for a lot less money.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:37:48 pm by Quicksilver »

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:37:41 pm »
yuk ;D ;D ;D
good for lemon collectors hey magoo ;D
follow me to first turn

magoo

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
Cheeky boy Rusty

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:04 pm »
Just wundrin. what the main dislikes were with that model ? ??? and are they fixable .or a total shitter.  :-\cheers KB

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:30:33 am »
Its a matter of opinion KB. The CR450 is Honda's first production big bore and deserves its place in a collection for that reason alone. The main problem was some of bikes suffered from case failure due to poor design or casting depending on who you talk to.
The left kickstarter on a big bore was a stupid idea and certainly not popular. There are people who still race the 450 and love it. As time passed ways arounds faults have been found just like it has with any other brand of bike. 

The YZ490 is also considered a lemon in some circles. So are most Maico's up until last models. Whatever the brand, or model you'll always find some one who will bag it.

PJR

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:22 am »
Quicky, As much a Honda man as I am, I think you're drawing a long bow by describing  most Maicos as lemons right up to the last models. In reality, Maico rarely got it wrong between 68 and 81. The 75 model 250 and 80 models were a bit ordinary but the rest were great bikes, just check the results at any vintage meeting.
The CR450 was a dud but it didn't take Honda very long to get it right. I reckon they're good collector models for the reason Quicky said, they were the first Honda 2t big bore. 

Quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:27:48 am »
Red.

As I said mate.  Its a matter of opinion or what has been your personal experience with a particular  brand/model.
An old mate of mine has a 1974 Maico 440 and has owned it since we were teen's. Its was a great looking bike but a was nothing but a pain in the ass. Every time we'd go ridding one of us would need to double him home. The thing has been sitting unused in farm shed since 1980s cos it was so unreliable. Ross just gave up on it, parked it and left it. Thats been my experience with Maico. It will always be the memory I have of them. Its not my intention to put shit on Maico's or their owners. Its just when ever I think of Maico that the triggered memory I get.

I saw a few great looking Maico's at CD5 and their owners love them to death. There are many Maico fans who would never ride anything else but Maico. Good I say, keeps all manor of different bikes on the track. It would be very boring if only one or two brands turned up at race meeting or classic dirt events.

As for my CR450R. I really dont care if its sells, id be happy and proud to keep it as a display bike in the shed alongside the others I am keeping. Its only on the market because can no longer ride dirt bikes and have purchase a number of 1920s and 30s vintage bikes I need funds to restore.

Maico31

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:35:51 am »
I had a brand new CR450 and they weren't a very good big bore bike. The rear shock was a pogo stick and the 41mm forks were very average. The power hit like a light switch making the suspension feel even worse and the small clutch slipped like crazy and had a habit of siezing on the shaft. Having said that Honda got it right 2 years later with the '83 CR480. The 450 is still a collectible bike. As for Maico you only have to look back and see how many of the top privateers rode Maicos in the US and Europe in the 70's to realize they were a great bike.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »
Thats the thing. Honda = collectable. Same as a '77 cr125. No way near the best of era but will generally fetch more than any other jap of the same year. Certainly a more salable item. I still wouldn't have thought it would of sold for that much. Good to see the arse hasn't completely fallen out of the market.

Maico31

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:43:10 pm »
That went for good money but it was a very tidy original bike. No matter what they are like on the track they're still a collectable bike.