Author Topic: XL250S  (Read 4461 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
XL250S
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »
I'll be buggered if I can load a pic on this forum to show all what I've got, but I just picked up a 81 XL250S in ok (running) condition for the age and price, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd like to make it into a half reasonable Vinduro bike, like maybe some swingarm and frame mods to give it a better rear as well as some work on the forks. What's an economical way to go with one of these creatures. They're never going to be a world beater, but you must be able to make them better than they are. Input from all quarters appreciated.
pmc57

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: XL250S
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:53:50 pm »
reliable as all hell but getting more out of one mabye a high comp kit and a change of shocks
MUGEN power

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:45 am »
Is that the twinshock model?

If so, the swingarms were v spindly & I'm told (by someone who had one in the day) that they flex lots, causing the chain to derail & if bad enough causing case damage as well.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:08:54 am »
I owned a couple back in the day. They were voted best tralie by several mags. I think you might be surprised by how fast you can go through the bush on one of these. Handled well,reliable as all buggery. Had a frame based on a trials bike geometry and were the wheelstand king..Big balance point . I went to a 21in front end off a Maico-more travel and put inch longer S&W shocks and had the swingarm braced- although I doubt it was the effort.While a bit down on power you can hold them on longer etc and I reckon would be a very good Vinduro mount.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:00:56 pm »
Thanks for the informative replies. Yes JC it is a twinshock model.
Suzuki27, that 23"front wheel does seem a problem, I can't recall seeing too may 23" tyres available at the shops, are they still available?
I was looking at stiffening up the swingarm and moving the shock mounts, both on the swingarm and up at the frame to accept a better set of shocks and provide more travel, maybe some YSS units perhaps.
In talking of replacement forks, I have a spare set of RM250C forks, triples and 21" wheel at home, would these be a good alternate to the existing standard forks? 

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 05:34:40 pm »
I would think RM-C front end would be excellent, tho probably the stem dia is different at the bearings so it may not be an easy fit. Alternatively if the fork spacing is right, you could ream out Honda clamps for 3mm Suz forks.

Pro-link swingarm fits right in, is much stronger & 25mm longer, but is not as wide at the rear axle (& you'd have to weld bottom shock mounts on). Late twinshock XL500s had square section swingarm which may fit easily (if you can find one).

Otherwise if you move the bottom shock mount forward & brace the std swingarm, I'd run the gusset right forward close to the swingarm pivot preferably on the bottom of the tube, but check for chain interference over full travel.

Apart from the 23" f'wheel & flexi swingarm, the geometry & design of the XL-S frame seems to me to be pretty good, & they're not too heavy.

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 03:17:32 pm »
Hi Pmc57,
I too have an XL250S in progress of some restoration.
I would like to return mine to original look, rather than modifying it and am looking for a headlight and speedo setup.
If you are going to modify yours and remove those bits, do get in touch. I have a spare frame if you're interested...
Joe
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:30 pm »
Can someone help me clear something up? This '81 XL250S I picked up is in silver, all pics of seen of the XL250S's on the net are only showing in red and descriptions say they came in red only. What's the go here, did they also come out in silver, possibly in Australia only?

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:23 pm »
I have ever only seen red ones, but a mate swears black and blue he had a silver one in the late seventies or early eighties - and he is absolutely sure it was an 's'...
Joe near Bendigo

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:15 am »
The first of the 'S' models were silver, 79 was probably the first of them . The models were SZ, SA, SB, SC. Same way a CR is RZ, RA, RB.

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:55 am »
the first xl 250 500,s were red then they went to the silver color .i had a red 250 then a couple years later i had a silver 500

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:49:06 am »
I have a September "81 issue of adb with a comparo between the XL, Xt and KL 250's and the XL is silver in that .

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 05:13:23 pm »
Joe,
the bike I got didn't have any of the lights or instruments fitted, although the blok I got it off said he has these items in his shed somewhere and when he finds them he'll forward them on. If I do get hold of them and I do end up not needing them for whatever format I build, I'll keep you in mind. I'm in Brisbane, where are you?

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:46:47 pm »
Pmc57, I'm in Bendigo Vic, but have a brother-in-law who works in Brisbane (if posting bits is too much hassle).
Cheers.
Joe near Bendigo