Author Topic: Factory RC500Honda sweepstake, place a bet.  (Read 5044 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Factory RC500Honda sweepstake, place a bet.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »
what its worth and what the new owner gets it for are 2 different things  and too be honest i wouldnt have a clue,,,,,,, some one will live there dream

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »
Would Honda buy it back for their own Museum?If I had the money I'd pay what I had  to to own a one off factory bike.I'm with freaky and reckon it will make late 20 s.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 03:18:13 am »
Would Honda buy it back for their own Museum?If I had the money I'd pay what I had  to to own a one off factory bike.I'm with freaky and reckon it will make late 20 s.
[/quote

Honda japan were offerd it,  they said it was to expensive.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 12:26:46 am »
I bet that the reserve price will not be met, if there is one. If there aint a reserve price -8000 will be the top price given the current overhang of exotic toys with limited real value in these uncertain times. Hope I am wrong given my investment in these antiquities
Old and slow - and happy

Tony T

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:18 am »
This isn't aimed at you, crabman and no offence intended to anyone, but for me, the world market or 'investment potential' has absolutely no bearing on my choice to buy or not buy and given bike. I do it because I love them and enjoy them, not for a return when sold down the track. I'm sure 99.9% of you are the same. I personally don't care what their 'real value' is.  ;D
Why else would I be building a $2k+ CT90 that's going to be worth $800.00 when finished.  ::)
Yes, I did sell of a heap of stuff lately, but not by choice and not for the money. If I could have, I'd still have every bike I ever owned.   :)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 05:42:53 am »
Tony t
No offence taken. I agree there are in essence two broad type of collectors enthusiasts  who ride their bikes and other collectors who may collect for any other reason including but not limited to the underlying investment value and posible resale value.
Quite frankly I have thirty odd vmx bikes, the vast majority are restored and are ridden accordingly. Notwithstanding I do take comfort that they are real tangible assets, I use them , enjoy them and mother them. However in these turbulent times I take comfort in the fact that they in essence represent a sore of value based on their underlying intrinsic value were I to sell a bike. Todate I have only sold one VMX bike, largely in response to a mates repeated desire to get a VMX bike to race. Incidentally I sold it at less than perceived value for fear of compromising a friendship.
However I still believe that the ecomnomic issues will bring a fresh perspective in terms of price for trophy type bikes. I would be a buyer, however I believe that the current estimated auction value may be a tad to high.
Regards
Gavin
Old and slow - and happy

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 08:24:05 am »
i ride i enjoy to me there no use in a musiem piece just wasted space  ;D
MUGEN power

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 07:05:20 pm »
I have been to view the RC today and its a awesome peice of engineering. Everything is hand made and its in fantastic orig condition.  The bummer is the auctioneer has realy not done his homework to find out who rode the bike.  There was a red white and blue helmet with the bike that would have been a big clue but its been lost.   The rhumour mill says this could be Marty Smiths bike.  Interestingly i saw Steve Whitelock at the MXDN 2 weeks ago {steve was Honda big cheese and finds lost bikes for US collectors}}  could he possibly have viewed the bike 2 weeks ago and bought the helmet????????.  One thing that could id the bike is the front no plate if hand formed in Aluminium and wraps over the bar pad.     Anyone know where the 77 MXDN was held??

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 07:08:42 pm »
Tony t
No offence taken. I agree there are in essence two broad type of collectors enthusiasts  who ride their bikes and other collectors who may collect for any other reason including but not limited to the underlying investment value and posible resale value.
Quite frankly I have thirty odd vmx bikes, the vast majority are restored and are ridden accordingly. Notwithstanding I do take comfort that they are real tangible assets, I use them , enjoy them and mother them. However in these turbulent times I take comfort in the fact that they in essence represent a sore of value based on their underlying intrinsic value were I to sell a bike. Todate I have only sold one VMX bike, largely in response to a mates repeated desire to get a VMX bike to race. Incidentally I sold it at less than perceived value for fear of compromising a friendship.
However I still believe that the ecomnomic issues will bring a fresh perspective in terms of price for trophy type bikes. I would be a buyer, however I believe that the current estimated auction value may be a tad to high.
Regards
Gavin

Where would you rather have your money? In a beatiful peice of engineering that puts a smile on your face  or a Icelandic Bank?

Maico31

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:39 pm »
The '77 Des nations was held in France. Was the bike used there?

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 12:37:34 am »
Okay Dave- how much did it go for ?
Old and slow - and happy

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 04:15:16 am »
Okay Dave- how much did it go for ?
  top bid £14k

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 04:27:50 am »
sold today for £20,000 plus fees by private treaty.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 05:14:13 am »
It is a remarkably high price in these times. I will wait to sell until the next bull market is in full swing and Wall Street is awash with merchant wankers, banksters and OPM ( OTHER PEOPLES MONEY).
Thanks Dave
g/ al crabman
Old and slow - and happy

mx250

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:33 am »
It is a remarkably high price in these times. I will wait to sell until the next bull market is in full swing and Wall Street is awash with merchant wankers, banksters and OPM ( OTHER PEOPLES MONEY).
Thanks Dave
g/ al crabman
It's a Bull market on Wall Street and in Property but not necessarily a Bull market in gold, fine arts or collectables, and other opportunities.  Indeed, when stocks and shares head south investors 'take their profits', or losses ::), and look for a 'safe haven' to park their money.

Those people who put $800,000 into a GTHO may be proven 'smart cookies'.

But that doesn't mean we'll all be millionaires. It will be the top end that will fare better than the overall. We are in the midst of the adjustment right now. It will be interesting to watch for the next few months, especially USA Ebay.