Author Topic: Something else to do next year.  (Read 4114 times)

firko

Something else to do next year.
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
2009 looks to be a busy year for us vintage punters, starting with the Broadford Vintage Bonanza thing at Easter, Classic Dirt 6 at Conondale on the QB weekend in June, the Vintage Motocross Nats, also at Conondale and the Vintage Dirt Track Nats at Raymond Terrace.

Another big vintage event has been announced for March 20-22 2009. The Australian Vintage Speedway Festival is being held in Lismore, Northern N.S.W.  http://www.vintagespeedwayfestival.com/ I know quite a few vintage MX and DT punters also have old speedway bikes tucked away in the shed so here's another CD style event that may be a good bit of fun. Even if you don't have a speedway bike, I reckon it'll still be a pretty good perve, checking out  all of that great old speedway iron.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:29:26 pm by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to do next year.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:49:24 pm »
Mmmmmm very yummy the sights sounds and superb scents of solos, sidecars and all the four wheeled classics ;D   ;) As a sweetener here is a very likely "free to spectate"  Solo and sidecar super meeting at Broadford   "Victorian Classic Speedway Championships - Sun 1 Feb 2009 (Open, Classic bikes and some support classes). :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »
gee you just highlighted how top heavy everything next year is, all way up there.     Looks like the only thing on the cards next year will be this honda thingo at broadford,its kinda close enough or just stay home and paint the fence.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:03 pm »
Come on freaky,
youv'e got the new van,( or to put it another way an ambulance to go Home in) ;D
Cheers
Noel

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »
yer but it would be great if they where in the same week or 2 but thats a lot of 2k trips.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »
Hey Freaky broadford will be worth the drive with plenty of different disciplines to have a ride in ,bring em all .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:58 am »
Not enough meetings in your neck of the woods?????????? What have YOU yes YOU  done to try to organize arrange,.promote ,advertise, run, set up, pull down a meeting that suits your particular  wants??   >:( >:(  1  Look you can start right here by asking if anyone else is interested in your ideas.  2 Get the word out about meetings that you enjoy, you do not have to be a member of a club or organizer or even a competitor to advertise something . 3 DON'T bag out and try not to whinge about other events if you find their not in your back yard (*)  try to give them some positive responses to their commitment. 
(*) Guilty of that myself :-[

Hats off to meeting organizers because I have found if you do try to get something going you will have to be prepared to be shit on from a great height and from all angles repeatedly.
Cheers Tim754 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:44:38 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:13:53 am »
yer but it would be great if they where in the same week or 2 but thats a lot of 2k trips.

I dream of 2K trips ;D
The older I get, the faster I was

YSS

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
You Boys are keen , I hardly manage to organise and fit in the trip to CD .

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:48:39 pm »
Not enough meetings in your neck of the woods????????????????? What have YOU yes YOU  done to try to organize arrange,.promote ,advertise, run, set up, pull down a meeting that suits your particular  wants??   >:( >:( >:( >:(  1  Look you can start right here by asking if anyone else is interested in your ideas.  2 Get the word out about meetings that you enjoy, you do not have to be a member of a club or organizer or even a competitor to advertise something . 3 DON'T bag out and try not too whinge about other events if you find their not in your back yard try to give them some positive responses to their commitment. 

Geeze you having a bad Hair day timbo.  Regardless of what i can drum up here, and we have enough rides i think.  IM talking about Nat events, you must admit most National racing next year and event CD6 style stuff, is all up the far east coast and thats a pain in the arse for anyone from melb or further,  your comments have no relivance to that point.    

For ME yes MY effort, For what its worth im trying to get Gilamman to let us do a state DT round there in the speedway track under lights,  and possibly one at whyalla to try and get more support on the ground, point is if we got all sexy and got support and did every Nat event or big show in Port lincoln next year how many interstaters would you get ? fuc all.   

So thats not a reflection of a national effort is it ? may as well be one on those bull shit state of origin events, what a fiasco they are.  you really must have had an issue in your club with volunteers, if your still pushing that everyone needs to pitch in and stop winging line.

I was making an observation, at least in 08 the big ones were spread out.  Fairs fair.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:53:13 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

husky61

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:02 pm »
Road trips

Unfortunatley are part of the game , but having said that road trips are great fun

This year we travelled to

Tasmania , QLD and numerous regional areas thoughout NSW which were all great road trips.

Next year we will definetly travel to QLD two times (VMX) , possibly two times to Victoria (Vinduro) and all the NSW regional VMX we select.

So the expect min. travel for next year will be in the order of 10000 km.

:oAh you gotta love Moto biken :o

PJR

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »
No matter where you put these events on, someone is going to be inconvenienced. I reckon that the Classic Dirt locations have been pretty well spread out and the promoters are well looking after the demographic. If freakshow wants more stuff to go off in South Australia, I'd suggest he start the ball rolling on drumming up more vintage fans down there. The South Australians have been looked after more that their participation rate deserves over the years. There have been two Aussie Vintage Motocross Championships in SA, at Tanunda and Port Pirie. They were both good events but they would have fallen on their arses if it wasnt for Victorians, NSW, Queensland and most notably West Aussies supporting the them. If those events would have had to rely on locals they would have failed. Of all of the states, South Australia is the only one that has never had a healthy vintage scene. It seems that despite the sucess of both Port Pirie and Tanunda events, nobody kept the momentum going.  Instead, year after year we get croweaters singing "What about Me" but not doing anything to promote decent events in their own state. It's always someone elses job.

The Bonanza at Broadford is pretty central to the southern states and with CD going to Queensland for the first time, the Queenslanders ,who have always strongly supported the sport are being rewarded. It gives the strong NQ fan base a chance to be a part of the event for the first time. Me? I've been to every one and I wouldn't miss the Bonanza, CD6 and both Nats would travel anywhere to support these events without going into a big song and dance about how far I have to drive. That's part of the fun.

YSS

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:48:15 pm »
Thats a bit unfair Red Devil ,  we have tried , Rembember the 3 leg thumper and classic series Techno Flex and AH Racing organised in 99 . It all went well till the moderns got a sniff of the sucsess and railroded their way in and that was the end of it . It cost my company a fairbit of money and time , for what? I still have 12km printed bunting and stakes as a memory to treasure.
Its easier to travel interstate to a proper VMX meeting and race a proper VMX track ( like Ravenswood or Barrabool) . No politics , just VMX fun.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:18 pm »
your right we dont have enough heads to make it viable, but pushing everything up the coast to pick up the demographics is going to seal its death regardless of how many freaks or boags or walters go.  

MY point was this year it seems everything is in the pointy end, its just a pity its not spread around like it was this year, you get more players and more new , diverse players, if you alient the rest of the country or wingers as you put it, unfortumity you get back to a 2 horse race and yes it will become a state of origin, and not really reflect whats going on.

Thats why sports die out, people cant be fuc'ed if it gets to hard, all im saying is if there is at least one or more central NAt you will keep the dream alive around australia, not just end up racing your same mates every weekend.  :O)

A lot of the guys in SA cant be screwed dealing with the MA $$$ and now most elect to have a monthly ride on property in tungkillo,  YOu get more pre 75 riding around there on a grass scamble track, than we get at a State title, bit like our NZ brothers.

The sport collectively really needs to find a way of bringing all those guys ( and im sure there are more round the country) back into the sport,  I think that MA $$$ and modernised tracks have slowly driven this sport to this.  I dont know how you fix it, but why would they pay for a race licence for 5 rides a year, and potential have to drive across the country to find any event NAtional ?

i was lucky enoough to get to all NAts and do the MX and Dt series this year and i still think i didnt get value, i feel sorry for these guys trying to justify only a couple of rides, they really need to look at restructuring the one event licence and clubman classes, i think they should be introducing a historic licence.   ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:07:08 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

YSS

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:57:42 pm »
I know of 33 classic VMX bikes in SA and only a handfull can be bothered  ,paying for a license and want to run a immaculate restored classic on a rough  modern track making up numbers for moderns,
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:02:32 pm by YSS »